Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    We have a guy here that has won two big crappie tournaments on Guntersville in the last month (about $35000) and will tell you 100% it was the difference. He is not sponsored and doesn't want to be. He is just a very good crappie guy that said the LS allows him to target fish in locations that he would have to make multiple casts to even find them before LS.

How much does he believe in LS? He is running two on his trolling motor and left/right 1242's each connected to one LS. He says this way he can see a full sweep both left/right in front of the boat.
    Exactly a huge plus? Ban from tournaments? Not now. If biologists determine, increased fishing pressure hard on the resource...yes

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeguyus View Post
    Exactly a huge plus? Ban from tournaments? Not now. If biologists determine, increased fishing pressure hard on the resource...yes
    You must live a different part of the country. In this area folks don't give a crap how it affects the resources. I am sick of seeing 10-12 tournaments a weekend on our local lakes with folks dragging big bags of fish out of their home areas to the scales. When I get there a couple of days later there are never less than 10 dead fish floating around.

They also know more than the biologists .......

3. Member
    pfisher, bass fishing tournaments, is a legitimate use of the resource. Here in Minnesota bass groups have gone to great strides to reduce catch and release mortalities during/after competitions. I commend them for their efforts and to date seen improvements with the catch record release format bass groups are working on It is a stronger social issue, and we had a highly visible college event with many fast bass boats running up a narrow river to get to a smaller lake. Residents along the river reacted, very upset and I agreed. However, heaven forbid for our comments got labeled we were against or college or high school bass fishing competition! Bass tournament supporters lined up and took shots at the safety question comments we made on FB, accused river and lake residents of wanting to control or take ownership instead. Another positive point to tournament angling that should not be overlooked and that is getting more anglers fishing and engaged in the sport.

To the Minnesota DNR's credit, looking at how many tournaments a body of water has a season. Lake property owners have raised concerns to the qty of events held, with an increase in significant weekend events and weekly league qualifiers. Important to consider First impacts on the resources 2nd heartburn to others. All shareholders have a voice. I have fished some fishing tournaments, including the first-ever major walleye event. Won't anymore, for me matches are the wrong definition of what and why I catch. My first realization came floating a small lake in a kayak, rod and reel and small amount of tackle, then it followed with lesser importance to catching an amount of fish to finding them, why they are there and getting them to bite — taking a few to enjoy for a meal. Fish are first and foremost to eat.
    Last edited by Treeguyus; 03-15-2019 at 05:53 PM.

4. Member
    Thats interesting. Dual livescopes side by side!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    We have a guy here that has won two big crappie tournaments on Guntersville in the last month (about $35000) and will tell you 100% it was the difference. He is not sponsored and doesn't want to be. He is just a very good crappie guy that said the LS allows him to target fish in locations that he would have to make multiple casts to even find them before LS.

How much does he believe in LS? He is running two on his trolling motor and left/right 1242's each connected to one LS. He says this way he can see a full sweep both left/right in front of the boat.

A Crappie Tournament group on Truman Lake just posted a new rule no electronics of any kind on the bow. It's a great tool and has it place but it can't make the fish bite when you find them. If any thing I have found it slowed me down trying to get fish to bite because I can see they are there.

6. Member
    I believe the livescope is more useful to Crappie fishing than Bass fishing. I've only put about 60hrs on mine so far...maybe I'll change my mind once summer hits.

7. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadduck79 View Post
    A Crappie Tournament group on Truman Lake just posted a new rule no electronics of any kind on the bow. It's a great tool and has it place but it can't make the fish bite when you find them. If any thing I have found it slowed me down trying to get fish to bite because I can see they are there.
    Well that’s a dumb rule I can turn my 93 backwards at the console and turn by seat and watch my jigs on screen.

8. Member
    Treeguyus MN bass fishing is nothing like southern fishing as far as catch/weigh/release. The summer temps here only last a couple weeks compared to months of 85 or higher water temps. In addition the average “lake” up here isn’t anywhere near as large as southern bodies of water. I’ve seen quite a few private ponds down south larger than many lakes here.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sbp View Post
    Treeguyus MN bass fishing is nothing like southern fishing as far as catch/weigh/release. The summer temps here only last a couple weeks compared to months of 85 or higher water temps. In addition the average “lake” up here isn’t anywhere near as large as southern bodies of water. I’ve seen quite a few private ponds down south larger than many lakes here.
    And those temps are why we have fish kill rates at summer events around 50%. Do the anglers care?? Heck no! They just schedule another one for next weekend.

I don't care how big a body of water is. With the modern advantages of today tournaments need to be regulated.

10. Member
    You slow dont entirely to much with it. I started one day at 10 or so never made a cast till 1130. Them inly made a handfull. Left at 430, might have made 20 casts

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkt1 View Post
    You slow dont entirely to much with it. I started one day at 10 or so never made a cast till 1130. Them inly made a handfull. Left at 430, might have made 20 casts
    LOL ...... Yep

I also have an underwater camera. If I ever put it down I'm done for the day. It's more fun to watch them than to catch them at this age.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    They should ban bass fishing altogether . All them boys do is run up and down the lake like idiots. making wakes everywhere.
    guess you dont have many wakeboard boats near you then... or even 1.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sbp View Post
    Last year beginning of July through August into September, water temperatures were into the 70's. in Minnesota. I want to stress that the bass tournament organizers have done an exceptional job at catch and release. Not forgetting catch-photo-release which seems to be the new normal. Bass seem to be more resilient to release, more then walleyes. Yep you are correct temps in the mid-80's is short in duration here in Minnesota. Much of this boils down to social pressure. In the next sentence, I want anglers to be able to keep fish also. Balancing act for sure. Keeping a few fish is ok and should be encouraged, to keep the interest in the sport vibrant...my two cents

Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    They should ban bass fishing altogether . All them boys do is run up and down the lake like idiots. making wakes everywhere.
    LOL@ rocket man

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12