Thread: Trip to Mn.

Trip to Mn.

My buddy and I are wanting to come up and fish for smallmouth. I have a motorhome and a 16 ft lowe with 25 hp. I looked up canoe country outfitters using campground and fishing Basswood in June. I am more than open to suggestions on other lakes or areas as long as i can use motorhome and 16 ' er.. the trip would be 7 days also could be in fall as well. Thanks for ideas or input.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    My buddy and I are wanting to come up and fish for smallmouth. I have a motorhome and a 16 ft lowe with 25 hp. I looked up canoe country outfitters using campground and fishing Basswood in June. I am more than open to suggestions on other lakes or areas as long as i can use motorhome and 16 ' er.. the trip would be 7 days also could be in fall as well. Thanks for ideas or input.
    Basswood is a Great Lake for smallmouth, if you are on you’re way up and the weather is dead calm you could go out on Mille lacs but if there is a steady wind I would advise against taking your boat on Mille lacs. There’s some bass in birch lake up there much harder to find than on basswood. Also a couple smaller lakes in the Ely area that you can go throw a top water around at night and catch some smallies

3. Member
    Thanks Billy appreciate the thoughts .

4. Member
    Skip Mille lacs, too much pressure and learning curve, imo. I would recommend vermilion instead. It's a vast body of water but lots of bays and islands with many ramps to choose from and the fish are everywhere. It's about 30 miles west of Ely. There are literally hundreds of smaller lakes in that area that receive practicality zero bass pressure.

5. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Vermilion is a big lake that can get rough for a 16' boat. I would look for an area with smaller lakes available. If your willing to drive to northern MN, look at Pelican and Elephant lakes near Orr, MN. And there are many in that area other than the 2 I mentioned.

6. Member
    Thanks to both of you . I looked at vermilion it's huge and most coves are big by my standard. The more I look and see not sure I want to that far north at all . But I appreciate all the comments thanks to all.

7. Member
    Pelican can get pretty rough as well

8. Member
    You may want to look at the Fergus Falls, Mn. & Alexandria, Mn. area. A number of good smallie lakes in that area & most are smaller lakes.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    Pelican can get pretty rough as well
    yea, stay away from pelican!
    Pool 10

10. Member
    Thanks Gentlemen !

11. Member
    Come join us at Rainy lake. I think you can park urban at LaBelles on the northwest side . It is a big lake that fishes small because of islands Big smalls and northerns. We always go the week before Memorial Day. Very quiet. No crowds

The Gutterman