Clear gel coat fish eyed / not cured all the way...HELP!!

My nephew sprayed clear gel on his half solid / flake boat. They for some reason did NOT do a test panel (fender) but sprayed the entire top cap and the gel fish eyed and has not 100% fully cured (if you try to sand it balls up and don't act right at all).

How is the best way to get this mess off of the boat to start over??? He has got some off using acetone, but its not very effective either.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated...

2. Member
    When he sprayed it did he add duratec wax additive to the gel, or use a cover coat to cut the air off to it so it would cure properly. If not it will be a pain to get off . Might harden up in a few days time then can be sanded off. If it fisheyed either the gel is bad/old, the mix was off , or something in the gun,cup,mixcup , surface was contaminated

3. Member
    What he said.
    Seen this a number of times and there is no real ‘quick fix’ getting the goo off. I knew one guy that parked the rig in a warm garage for a month and it hardened some but bugs and dust also stuck to it. Best of luck!

He could have hit it with some PVA to get it to harden...maybe
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    I saw the same thing happen. They found an industrial oven and left it in there for 2 days at 160. It should be hard then you can sand it off. Other than that try sticking some wax paper to a spot and heat it up a little. Wait a day or two and see if it hardens.

Acetone dries too fast, maybe try some goof off professional strength.

You have ave a lot of work ahead of you, might search for a new hull and move your accessories, motors to that hull.

6. Member
    He used a brand called Johnson Fiberglass and Resin Inc. He had a gallon of clear gel coat resin, then a gallon of Prestec High Gloss additive. That Prestec stuff says it has the wax already in it. It also says mix the Prestec & the clear gel at a 50/50 ratio and then catalyze with the MEK. Yes the gel use by date was out by several months, he said he asked the shop he got it from about that and they told him if it was still liquid it should be fine. I also think they messed up by cleaning the boat with acetone rather than alcohol, as it clearly stated acetone was NOT suitable for cleaning hull.. Thanks guys..

7. Member
    PVA is the only way to go, adding wax to it is bullshavic. 4 oz of PVA and fog it. It will kick quicker than pooooo. PVA cleans up with water, leave it on the boat and was out your spray gun. When you start to wet sand the boat the PVA will slick up like soapy water and come right off. Put some PVA into a cup of acetone, it will turn into rubber, you can form it into a ball..
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

Years ago I did a set of trailer fenders that for some reason took a long time to cure. Finally cured outside in the air but it took quite some time. After they finally cured, I wet sanded and buffed and they still look good after all these years with no problems. I did bake the fenders in a paint booth several times and that didn't seem to help.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
    PVA is the only way to go, adding wax to it is bullshavic. 4 oz of PVA and fog it. It will kick quicker than pooooo. PVA cleans up with water, leave it on the boat and was out your spray gun. When you start to wet sand the boat the PVA will slick up like soapy water and come right off. Put some PVA into a cup of acetone, it will turn into rubber, you can form it into a ball..

OK I have to ask just so im clear on what to tell him to try, and pardon me because im completely ignorant to the gel coat spraying deal. So your saying to get some PVA put ONLY PVA in the gun and fog the top cap?? Is that correct? Then that will make it go ahead and cure up, then he can wetsand? And if the PVA goes ahead and cures whats on it, will he be able to then sand it enough to get the fish eyes out of it? It looks to me that basically all of what they put on needs to come off due to the fish eyes.. Again Thanks...

Yes PVA in gun and shoot. Depending on how deep the fish eyes are....I’d sand and see what I had.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com