Mercury v8 4stroke batttery requirements

I thought i would share an interesting phone call i got from my dealer today about my lithium batteries i had plan to move from my 2015 triton TRX 21 with a250 pro xs 2stroke so the call was to inform me that according to his mercury rep he strongly advised that i not use the lithium cranking battery tho properly rated for that motor citing per the owners manual specific saying only a agm properly rated battery be used and he wanted to see how i felt about and my answer was let me make a phone call in which i did and was advised by the company that as of now that haven’t seen or heard of any problems but as a recommendation to me (I’m sure for liability reasons)do not use the lithium battery for cranking but to use a properly rated AGM battery for cranking the motor only and use my lithium setup for everything else that AGM use would only be used to crank the motor.I thought I would share that little tidbit for those who find there selves in the same position, i know its kinda long but thanks for reading

2. Banned
    Mercury does not recommend the use of lithium batteries with their engines. With that said, I’ve seen them used for years on their engines (Verados with DTS included) without any issues.

3. Member
    Been running Lithium starting battery for 5 years now. Never a issue with my 250 Pro XS 250 , Suzuki 200 or now 225 V6. It has only helped and run flawless since it always put out the proper voltage without degradation or big dips and our electronics from the motor to chart plotters to TM like constant power so they can operate as intended. No matter what manufactures or other individuals say. The proof is in the use in the real world.
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

4. Member
    Battery requirement for new pro xs 4 stroke?

From that topic...

Quote Originally Posted by European Marine
    Guys- Engine specifications REQUIRE an AGM battery for the V6 and V8 Fourstroke Models. Doesn't matter "who" tells you something else will work- if it's not approved by the engine Manufacturer, don't be surprised when you end up on the short end of a problem, with a bill sitting in front of you.

That's the short of it.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    What I can't wait for is Mercury & Minnkota to approve Lithium power then it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread to everyone!
    I'll just keep using mine with no short end of a problem since it's been over five years now running them on multiple engines.
    That's my opinion and real world use and testing!

LOL

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flatsboy View Post
    What I can't wait for is Mercury & Minnkota to approve Lithium power then it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread to everyone!
    I'll just keep using mine with no short end of a problem since it's been over five years now running them on multiple engines.
    That's my opinion and real world use and testing!

LOL
    You've not been running them for 5 years on a MERCURY 4-Stroke V6 or V8 Product. THAT specifically REQUIRES an AGM battery.

There was no specific exclusion or requirement previously (though AGM's were strongly encouraged for DTS/Verado Applications).

Wash84... If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I never said I was running them on the new Mercury Motors for 5 years please don't just to conclusions. That would be misleading and my prior post I explained that owning three different motors and running the same Lithium batteries along with Minnkota Trolling motors!

8. Member
    Sorry Don I don’t have my boat anymore and the knew one is currently being rigged i was just sharing a conversation i had nowing what an interesting topic this has been.

9. Member
    The Merc rep here in the North West said that AGM requirement is a carry over from the Verado.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyBass View Post
    The Merc rep here in the North West said that AGM requirement is a carry over from the Verado.
    The new V8 and V6 FourStroke, no matter if mechanical controls or DTS, all have the same electronic throttle body and shift actuator. Essentially, they’re all ‘DTS engines’. AGM batteries can handle the voltage spikes and drops from the electrical system much better than lead acid batteries.

11. Member
    I think its more of a "don't use cheap lead acid batteries" deal. I've used RELiON Lithiums for 5 years now. They've worked flawlessly on a 250 Pro XS 2 stroke, a 250 Yamaha SHO and now a Pro XS 4 stroke.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    I think its more of a "don't use cheap lead acid batteries" deal. I've used RELiON Lithiums for 5 years now. They've worked flawlessly on a 250 Pro XS 2 stroke, a 250 Yamaha SHO and now a Pro XS 4 stroke.