Post They caught them good today

Top 10 Teams
    1. Blake Jackson, Trevor McKinney – McKendree University – 23-11 (5)
    2. Cole Floyd, Carter McNeil – Bethel University – 23-9 (5)
    3. Blake Johnson, Ben Statly – Adrian College – 23-8 (5)
    4. Dustin Jones, Dakota Cantrell – Campbellsville University – 23-5 (5)
    5. Jonathan Creed, Jared Latone – Youngstown State University – 23-4 (5)
    6. Clayton Winebarger, Ryan Strong – Virginia Highland Community College – 23-1 (5)
    7. Kyle Palmer, John Coble Garrett – Bethel University – 22-13 (5)
    8. Alex Henderson, Zach Manneback – Adrian College – 22-11 (5)
    9. Tristan McCormick, Dakota Pierce – Bethel University – 22-9 (5)
    10. Nolan Minor, Casey Lanier – West Virginia University – 22-6 (5)
    Tags: flw college-open kentucky-lake bass-fishing fishing-tournament justin-onslow headline-story 2019-03-12-kentucky-barkley

20 20+ sacks on Ky and Barkley, how is that possible, according to everyone on here the only fish left in the lakes are Asian Carp. Seeing that sack of smallmouth reminds of March fishing in the old days

3. Member
    Funny how the threads where people get going trashing the lakes and talking about carp go on and on and this one gets nothing but crickets.

4. Member
    Wow - man I hope it is back! I will say KY/Barkley has not been very kind to me the last couple of seasons - although I did catch my PB Smallmouth on KY in Feb 2018. Will be interesting to see how they do today and how the middle/bottom portion of the field does.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pab1981 View Post
    Funny how the threads where people get going trashing the lakes and talking about carp go on and on and this one gets nothing but crickets.
    I'm embarrassed to comment. I fished last Sunday and never got a bite. Sounds like they found the proper areas. And the water was about 4 feet lower for them.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockangler View Post
    I'm embarrassed to comment. I fished last Sunday and never got a bite. Sounds like they found the proper areas. And the water was about 4 feet lower for them.
    I have a buddy fishing it. He said its the perfect storm going on and the fish are set up in pretty easy areas if you find em. Still almost 1/4 of the field blanked
    They aint got hands, set the hook

7. Member
    I watched the first part of the weigh in and several of the good weights still didn't get many bites. I'd say the criticism of the lake is how tough it has gotten on the ledges in the summer not what happens in early March with good current. Still pretty impressive for college anglers, many with little experience on the lake.
    Last edited by bigclubswinger; 03-13-2019 at 03:18 PM.

8. Member
    The weights fell off the second day with a few Teams that had 20+ lb bags on day 1, blanking on day 2, ugg. But several Teams blasted weights on the second day - one team that caught 8lbs+ on day 1 and had over 24lbs on day 2! Wow!

Still about 60 or so teams blanked both days and 100 plus teams caught 6lbs or less for 2 days - but clearly some good ones are out there to be caught if you find them.

As a recreational guy - for me the winning weights don't always tell the whole story - but how the mid pack guys/teams do - hopefully this trend continues though, and expands to more of the field.

Related/Unrelated - it still baffles me that KY Fish/Game doesn't do any stocking of Bass on KY/Barkley compared to other states with premier fisheries. I am guessing it is purely a funding deal - when TN was stocking FL Strain in Chick, Ft. Loudoun, Watts, Nickajack and South KY lake - the goal was something like 5 fingerlings per acre - so that is a lot of fish for North KY. Look at TX though they put in 500,000 to 1,000,000 fingerlings per year in Sam Rayburn alone. If we had a 10th of that you would think it would help. Check out the Stocking reports from TX and its an eye opener...

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish..._water.phtml#R

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

9. Member
    Same for me in 18 mid Feb and early March were good not a lot of numbers but good size, then come summer Could not keep up with them few here and there but really scattered

10. Member
    It’s amazing to that Sam Rayburn has more tournament pressure than here and it just keeps pumping them out, probably stocking and I don’t think it ever loses it’s grass.

11. Member
    Some of the younger folks think they know every thing when they only know a little about nothing!!!!!!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    Some of the younger folks think they know every thing when they only know a little about nothing!!!!!!
    Not sure if this directed at me or what. Just making an observation. Seems to be, here and other forums a lot of folks that enjoy piling on and trashing our lakes. I didn't say that there wasn't a problem but it's funny to me nobody seems to acknowledge anything remotely positive.

13. Member
    Close to 700,000 pounds of carp taken out of our lakes just on the north end since first of the year, its a start.

No I have never trashed our lakes I have been using Ky Lake and Barkley way before you were borne, I was pointing out the problem with the carp on how it has effected our lakes.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    Close to 700,000 pounds of carp taken out of our lakes just on the north end since first of the year, its a start.

No I have never trashed our lakes I have been using Ky Lake and Barkley way before you were borne, I was pointing out the problem with the carp on how it has effected our lakes.
    I could care less how long you have been doing anything to be honest, I wasn't even talking about you or to you. Don't know what your picking at me for, I was glad to see you posted something that I take as positive for the lakes.

15. Member
    That's awesome!!!!

16. Member
    I'm hearing crickets now after last BFL and first 2 days of the Costa!

17. Member
    Doesn't look good

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leebob View Post
    I'm hearing crickets now after last BFL and first 2 days of the Costa!
    Don't know what your talking about, there have been at least three threads beating the same dead horse in the last couple weeks. I have been on vacation, no need for me to add to the negativity, plenty of people seem to enjoy piling on without having any real constructive thought on how to help the situation.

And for the record nowhere in that post or in any post did I say I thought the lakes were in great or fishing good, just that I was glad to see some nice fish caught and that hardly anyone acknowledges it anymore. There may not be a whole lot of them left but there was some nice bags caught in the college tournament and I saw pictures of nice fish from guys at work all week leading up to the Bfl before the current fell off. And I get it, big tournament guys struggling to catch fish in any conditions is a pretty good indicator that numbers are bad, don't think anyone rational would debate that the lakes aren't in a down period. But those fish didn't vanish into thin air and even with the lakes in the shape they are now, we are still blessed to have them here.

19. Member
    True, complaining won't help. Hopefully things will pick up soon.