Just ordered a new combo

Got me a St Croix 7-1 medium , fast action and a Curado DC in 8.5 to 1 , going to use it for square bills mostly and just never had a reel that fast but I think it will work out just fine .

2. Banned
    Why such a high speed for squarebills?

3. Banned
    How much thread does that take-in on retrieves? You might find it is too fast.

It is tough to get a dud w/Shimano, if it is too fast, swap it out.

4. Member
    It’s a little fast. I think a 6.5-1 ish is better for square bills and chatter baits.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    Why such a high speed for squarebills?
    I will just see how it goes I can use other things with it , but it was the only speed in stock at TW and I just wanted one now , got taxes done and needed something to help me feel better .

6. Banned
    You ever seen KVD fish a squarebill??? I’ve never fished a bait in my Life as fast as him.. Of all the pros I’ve fished with that’s one of things I’ve noticed with them. They fish wayyyyyyy faster than the most amateurs.

7. Member
    Im pretty sure Kevin looks like he’s reeling like a maniac BC he’s using a 5:3:1 reel

Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    You ever seen KVD fish a squarebill??? I’ve never fished a bait in my Life as fast as him.. Of all the pros I’ve fished with that’s one of things I’ve noticed with them. They fish wayyyyyyy faster than the most amateurs.

8. Member
    I use a 7.5 to 1 and it works fine. Sometimes I find it isn't fast enough, then I use the 9 to 1. If they want it slower, I slow down the cranking. I like quick reels because you can get them up and out of the brush and back to the boat. I also use a 9 to 1 for flipping for the same reason.

9. Member
    You’ll get a workout on that thing for moving baits.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    I use a 7.5 to 1 and it works fine. Sometimes I find it isn't fast enough, then I use the 9 to 1. If they want it slower, I slow down the cranking. I like quick reels because you can get them up and out of the brush and back to the boat. I also use a 9 to 1 for flipping for the same reason.
    I think it will be great for my small to medium cranks , not micro cranks . I already have several of the St Croix Tournament bass rods and they have become my favorite .

I picked up a St. Croix Legend Elite crankbait rod. One of the new glass series. 7'2" medium and went with the Curado 6.5:1 real. I really wanted a 5.3:1 real but it wasn't an option.

12. Member

13. Member
    Inches per crank is more important then a gear ratio. Keep in mind you can always slow down the handle easier then speeding it up...

14. Member
    Just bought the 7' 4" with the 150 DC Curado. It has been sitting all winter with a couple practice plugs on it. Going to use it for Carolina rigging. Reel is the 7:4-1.

15. Moderator
    while I prefer a slower reel then 8:5, I dont think it's possible to reel a square bill too fast. Sometimes I get my arms ripped off burning them....

I’m thinking it will be easy to slow down a little just don’t wind as fast . Am I missing something?

I got the new combo out on the lake today and the Curado D C is amazing , I got a few on the conquest models that cost twice as much but no any better in my early experience , and the St couix medium with fast tip in a perfect match , was throwing a 1/2 oz jackhammer.

18. Member
    Glad you’re enjoying your new combo. It’ll be a little bit before I can get on the water. It’s still hard here