Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tatula SV. All around reel ?

Didnt do much fishing or upgrading gear the past cpl yrs so some of these newer reels im only just now looking at. I handled a Tatula SV at BPS the other day and nearly walked outta the store with it. Is this a good all around reel or does it primarily work best used for skipping?

2. Member
    I'm thinking of getting one bc heard so many good things, and I am a Curado guy.

3. Member
    You can pretty much do it all with it. Only downside is the low line capacity. Don't put any backing on it. I would stay away from bomb casting 1oz jigs or things of that nature.
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

4. Member
    I bought one a year and a half ago to try and now have three. Very pleased with all three. They are good for skipping but also as all round reels for me.

5. Member
    Ive used the Tatula SV's for about a year and half now. I fish a good bit, and pretty much year around. I've got a bunch of them in all the gear ratios, and Im really happy with them. The are great skipping reels, but also great as an all around reel. Only thing I have not done with them is crank deep or rip a big mag spoon. Everything else I use the Tat SV, and I've been very impressed. Right now the The Tackle Trap has a great deal on both the Tatula's and the Zillions.

6. Banned
    Ive got one, and sold off my Zillion SV TW to keep the Tatula. I love it, and its great with 30lb braid. Plenty of line, and casts plenty far.

7. Member
    I own three. They are fantastic all around reels. Light stuff to heavy punching, no issues for them.

8. Member
    I just picked a new one up on sale from ebay with $15 off coupon and was $145

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky292 View Post
    You can pretty much do it all with it. Only downside is the low line capacity. Don't put any backing on it. I would stay away from bomb casting 1oz jigs or things of that nature.
    HOGWASH...They have PLENTY of line capacity and its a great all around reel. I have a handful of them and I put 40lb braid backing on ALL my reels and a cast and a half of Flouro and LOVE these reels. I live where we have LOTS of wind and that is why I bought the Tat SV...You give up a smidgeon of distance but it is worth it for minimal backlashes. I would get a TAT CT in a lower ratio for Deep Cranks.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassVoodoo View Post
    HOGWASH...They have PLENTY of line capacity and its a great all around reel. I have a handful of them and I put 40lb braid backing on ALL my reels and a cast and a half of Flouro and LOVE these reels. I live where we have LOTS of wind and that is why I bought the Tat SV...You give up a smidgeon of distance but it is worth it for minimal backlashes. I would get a TAT CT in a lower ratio for Deep Cranks.
    Agree. 14/100 and I use 12#....so what is that? About 120/125 yards? Even 100 yards is more than I can use bass fishing. But I have to admit I've never been able to spool a reel.

EDIT: Can anyone tell me with certainty if a reel's line listing is to the bevel or to the 1/16-1/8 below the bevel that all reels seem to suggest filling the reel to?

11. Banned
    The tatula sv reels excel at casting light lures and skipping. For all around performance I’d look at the fuego and for absolute bombing lures I think the tatula ct can edge out the fuego.

12. Member
    I can get an 8:1 Tat for $150. Thinking of grabbing it for my texas rig setup.

13. Member
    Does casting distance suck? Ive noticed a few reviews mentioning average casting distance

14. Member
    I'm not sure why people say the Tat SV's don't cast far. If you set the reel up like Daiwa suggest, it'll cast plenty far.

Just as far as anything else.

16. Member
    It’s a great real for skipping and I feel like it cast plenty far.
    Red Sox in 6!

17. Member
    I think it's a great all around reel. Good casting distance and almost impossible to backlash. The only thing that will keep me from buying anymore is the ergonomics. I have smallish hands so it is hard for me to palm. Shimano and Lews work better for me. If it wasn't for that the SV would be my favorite reel I own.

18. Member
    I gotta try one. I can get an 8:1 for $150. Maybe a little less if theyll accept offer.

19. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    For $150 I’d jump on that reel! I really want one in 8.1 to finish off my new frog/pitching setup. I’d like to get rid of the 6.3 Type R for the 8.1 SV. They’re simply awesome reels. The CT Type R’s are great reels as well. Daiwa could fill my line up real easily!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CWKemp View Post
    I'm not sure why people say the Tat SV's don't cast far. If you set the reel up like Daiwa suggest, it'll cast plenty far.

Ding! Ding! Ding! and when/if You change the lure/line You have to dial in that particular weight...

If You do go the TackleTrap™ route, see if they have any Daiwa™ Ballistic JDM reels <--- put this on "Longcast" and You will outcast just about every thing...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast