Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    it's not horrible but it's not the best. It does not cast as far as my Metanium MGL's, Chronarch MGL's or Curado K but it's easier to cast directly into the wind. One thing I don't like about these Tatulas is that all of mine are somewhat noisy after a good year of use.
    Quote Originally Posted by robster80 View Post
    Does casting distance suck? Ive noticed a few reviews mentioning average casting distance
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

Tackle trap has a great deal on these reels right now. Use the BBC10 code at check out.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

3. Member
    Does casting distance suck? Ive noticed a few reviews mentioning average casting distance
    My 2 SV’s cast just as far as my 2 CT’s

4. Member
    I’ve sold almost all of my Shimano’s and gone to Tatula SV’s. The technology doesn’t sound as sexy as the DC from
    Shimano, but the Tatula SV’s are just dang-good reels.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    it's not horrible but it's not the best. It does not cast as far as my Metanium MGL's, Chronarch MGL's or Curado K but it's easier to cast directly into the wind. One thing I don't like about these Tatulas is that all of mine are somewhat noisy after a good year of use.
    Same here noisy on the cast hear it with others as well on youtube videos. I took mine apart used ultrasonic cleaner to deep clean the bearings oil them with Hedgehog Achemy oil took the reel out yesterday and still noisy on the cast.

On the line capacity I have 16# Sniper FC & 230 feet of it on the reel.

6. Member
    The SV is my favorite reel ever regardless of price. That being said, I think the CT R does cast a bit farther. The super lightweight spool doesn't backlash but therefore doesn't have the momentum of a slightly heavier spool. I think I remember Gary from TT, saying the same thing on another post.

7. Member
    The Tatula Sv is a great all around reel, Long distance casting, Pitching/Flipping, and Skipping docks. I don't think you will find a better real for the money. We have them available for $161.99 at The Tackle Trap!
    www.tackletrap.com
    256-281-6160
    Sales - The Tackle Trap
    2001 Ranger 518VX
    2001 Mercury Optimax 200
    Tackle Junkie

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tacklekid55 View Post
    The Tatula Sv is a great all around reel, Long distance casting, Pitching/Flipping, and Skipping docks. I don't think you will find a better real for the money. We have them available for $161.99 at The Tackle Trap!
    www.tackletrap.com
    256-281-6160
    Welcome to the compu/social world of BBC Jackson!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    Welcome to the compu/social world of BBC Jackson!

Thanks Brother!
    Sales - The Tackle Trap
    2001 Ranger 518VX
    2001 Mercury Optimax 200
    Tackle Junkie

Back the spool tension knob off and put the anti backlash on 0 and it's as loosey goosey as any other reel. The TWS allows the line to fly off the spool.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

I just spent my first day on the water with Tatula SV TW 8.1. First Daiwa for me! First impression is that the reel was very smooth. Easy to get dialed in. I found setting 7 was perfect today with 3/8 oz finesse jig. I kept hearing about casting distance compared to the Shimano equivalent! I just happen to have a Chronarch MGl on my NRX 894. The Tatula is on a NRX 873. I put a 3/8 oz jig on the 894 with the mgl. Granted this wasn’t real scientific but found no major difference in casting distance on the water. What i did find is that the Tatula was damn easy to cast. Yeap you can backlash it If you turn the dial to zero. Or just whip the rod really hard. The Tatula has Unreal control which I haven’t found in Shimano or Lews. My only bitch is that I usually use my index finger under the line as I work a jig. I like to feel the line. This doesn’t work well with the T wing as it pushes the line above the line guide resulting in a WadOline on the spool. Remedy was to keep my finger off the line!

So is this a great all around reel. My answer would be ABSOLUTLEY! Is there some cooler reels an the market! Yeap, but for the money and with the available gear ratios this reel is a winner!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

12. Member
    Just snagged me a 7:1 Tat SV for $150. Cant wait to get this thing in and spooled up

13. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    You guys are gonna make me buy another one!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

14. Member
    Picked up a new one from Ebay with a coupon code for $140 a couple weeks ago.

If someone asked me what is the best all around reel that I would use, it is not a Shimano as most my of reels are, but the the one Tatula TW SV that I own, it casts very far and is great for skipping jigs too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassguy7 View Post
    I think it's a great all around reel. Good casting distance and almost impossible to backlash. The only thing that will keep me from buying anymore is the ergonomics. I have smallish hands so it is hard for me to palm. Shimano and Lews work better for me. If it wasn't for that the SV would be my favorite reel I own.
    ^^^This
    Terrible ergonomics for me. The external brake adjustment knob is torture when palming, with the serrated edges resting against the base of my fore finger, especially when cranking or jerkbaiting. It's just a mind boggling design. I have 5 tatulas that are now riding the bench in favor of curado Ks.

tatula serrated edge.JPG

I bought 15 TW SV's and used them all last year. They are fine reels but I prefer the Shimanos - the Chronarch MGL in particular.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

18. Banned
    I love my SVs and Curados equally. Now love my Zillion more, but there's no real reason why, it just feels smoother but they all catch fish equally.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    I just spent my first day on the water with Tatula SV TW 8.1. First Daiwa for me! First impression is that the reel was very smooth. Easy to get dialed in. I found setting 7 was perfect today with 3/8 oz finesse jig. I kept hearing about casting distance compared to the Shimano equivalent! I just happen to have a Chronarch MGl on my NRX 894. The Tatula is on a NRX 873. I put a 3/8 oz jig on the 894 with the mgl. Granted this wasn’t real scientific but found no major difference in casting distance on the water. What i did find is that the Tatula was damn easy to cast. Yeap you can backlash it If you turn the dial to zero. Or just whip the rod really hard. The Tatula has Unreal control which I haven’t found in Shimano or Lews. My only bitch is that I usually use my index finger under the line as I work a jig. I like to feel the line. This doesn’t work well with the T wing as it pushes the line above the line guide resulting in a WadOline on the spool. Remedy was to keep my finger off the line!

So is this a great all around reel. My answer would be ABSOLUTLEY! Is there some cooler reels an the market! Yeap, but for the money and with the available gear ratios this reel is a winner!
    yes, yes and yes. I cant use a TW reel for anything bottom contact because i keep my finger on the line all the time and it spools all the line to one side. Love the reels, cant use them. How do guys use these reels for bottom contact. I understand you can feel some through the rod, but you cant feel what you can feel through the line.

I do still have a tatula sv and used it this weekend throwing a jerkbait in the wind. Once i got it dialed in i didnt backlash all day. The casting distance wasnt the greatest but being able to throw that 110 into the wind without having to worry was great. If it wasnt for the line all spooling on one side id be making a full switch from shimano to daiwa
    They aint got hands, set the hook

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    yes, yes and yes. I cant use a TW reel for anything bottom contact because i keep my finger on the line all the time and it spools all the line to one side. Love the reels, cant use them. How do guys use these reels for bottom contact. I understand you can feel some through the rod, but you cant feel what you can feel through the line.

I do still have a tatula sv and used it this weekend throwing a jerkbait in the wind. Once i got it dialed in i didnt backlash all day. The casting distance wasnt the greatest but being able to throw that 110 into the wind without having to worry was great. If it wasnt for the line all spooling on one side id be making a full switch from shimano to daiwa
    You can always switch to the Fuego CT, however no SV spool capability.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast