Thread: XI5 GPS Issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

XI5 GPS Issues

Pretty frustrated right now. My warranty just ran out on my Xi5. The GPS quit working so I called in and they want me to bring it to a service center and get the module replaced. I paid $1500 for the dang thing and it only lasted me two years. I refuse to put more money into fixing it. Guess I will be going to Minn Kota now.

I actually believed when I bought it that I was going to have something to last me for the next 5 years or so. I even switched my graphs to Lowrance to use the link and all of the other features. Freaking irks the hound out of me.

2. Member
    Sorry to hear that. I've been considering a 80/45 Xi5 for a while. Not sure this speaks well to the quality.
    2005 Triton TR-196
    1990 ProCraft ProCaster 180

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfroese View Post
    Pretty frustrated right now. My warranty just ran out on my Xi5. The GPS quit working so I called in and they want me to bring it to a service center and get the module replaced. I paid $1500 for the dang thing and it only lasted me two years. I refuse to put more money into fixing it. Guess I will be going to Minn Kota now.

I actually believed when I bought it that I was going to have something to last me for the next 5 years or so. I even switched my graphs to Lowrance to use the link and all of the other features. Freaking irks the hound out of me.
    Did they quote you a price? How much past warranty was it. Some companies might give a break. You have to ask though. Bob

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfroese View Post

Yes how far past the warranty date is it? Motor guide may do a customer appreciation warranty where they pay for part and you pay labor.

5. Member
    Could just be an issue that you are having. I am going on three years with my unit with no issues so I would say just a stroke of luck. I dont think it matters which one you get they all have issues at one time or another. Good luck getting it fixed or with whatever you decide to move on to.

MK fan?, call customer service Motor Guide. I know it’s tough but talk polite and you may be surprised
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Did they quote you a price? How much past warranty was it. Some companies might give a break. You have to ask though. Bob
    They said that the GPS module itself is going to be $300 plus whatever labor the service center charges. I did call and I was nice about it. I even asked them if there is anything else they could do about it and they basically told me I was out of luck. I even asked if they could just ship me the module and I could install it myself and they said they can't. I am about 6 months past the warranty date. So technically I have had it for 2.5 years. Having said that I use the boat between February and July. Fall is my busy season and I don't fish in the winter. I think it's pretty crappy that I was only able to use the feature I liked most for 2 seasons. I set this boat up with a QD mount, Lowrance graphs and everything. I loved that trolling motor when the GPS was working. I think it's crap that the module would go out so quickly and now I am supposed to spend $300-$500 to replace the module depending on labor cost.

8. Member
    It is cheaper than a new one by about $2000. If it were a month or 2 they might have. Just bad luck. Bob

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    It is cheaper than a new one by about $2000. If it were a month or 2 they might have. Just bad luck. Bob
    I would call it cheap manufacturing not bad luck. Companies expect people to buy new ones constantly so they don't build them to last anymore. I'm convinced of it. My dad has been through 3 trolling motors the last 5 years. His old 70 lb motorguide he had originally lasted 12 years.

10. Member
    I was remaining neutral but it might be time for MK. Just sayin, Bob

You don't see a ton of these,in here anyway with problems.
    I wouldn't be happy if mine broke either but out of warranty is out of warranty.
    Did you buy the extended warranty ?
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

12. Member
    You should be able to buy the GPS unit and install it yourself When I bought mine it was an option you could add.

13. Member
    my gps has stopped working to and I am 4 weeks out of warranty, they gave me a update so will see this weekend if its fixed it or not, noy convinced that it has tho.

Quote Originally Posted by choc36 View Post
    my gps has stopped working to and I am 4 weeks out of warranty, they gave me a update so will see this weekend if its fixed it or not, noy convinced that it has tho.

Let us know if it works.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

15. Member
    I had been having problems with mine. GPS mod when crazy back in Oct. Ordered a new one for 400 that came with a remote. It did not work right. Sent it back and got the one with out the remote for $350 from trolling motor parts.com Anchor mode was not working right. Pretty frustraighting having your anchor mode not working after driving 900 miles to fish stick marsh. Motor would go nuts trying to keep my in the same spot and drove me around in backward circles. Did the same thing sitting on the trailer in the parking lot. Dropped it off with Robbie at propeller dynamics in Chester Va on my way back. After looking at it, Robbie told me that I had wires that were melted. He replaced the wires and said it is working now. I have not had the chance to check it out yet. It will be another 2 weeks or more before I get to the lake and see the boat again. Hope that fixed it.
    Stratos 2003 200 Pro XL

The first season I had mine 5 years ago the gps stopped working and they sent me a module to reflash the gps sensors and it has worked flawlessly since. Love my Xi5.

17. Member
    Two things. If you bought it from a local dealer I would give them a call. There is probably nothing they can do but it would be worth a shot.

Also, had a guy at work with a Dell computer that was just out of warranty so he was going to have to pay to get it fixed. I asked if he bought it with a credit card, of course he did. Then I told him to call his credit card company because many credit cards will double the manufacturer’s warranty. Talked to him a month later and he got reimbursed by his credit card for the repair.

Worth a call. If it were me that is what I would do. They paid me for some lost luggage one time.

18. Member
    The update didn't work, gps still drops out very frustrating

19. Member
    Four years three control boards two gbs modules and a new foot pedal not happy. Just waiting to see what Lowrance is coming out with

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Double o View Post
    Four years three control boards two gbs modules and a new foot pedal not happy. Just waiting to see what Lowrance is coming out with
    Just remember if it gets a problem, then you will probably have to send it back to the Factory. I know that I will not work on it unless I am assured that we get reimburse by the factory. Just saying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast