Advice on Pouring Shad Heads

Adding to my mold collection. Decided I want to start pouring some swimbait heads. I like the looks of Do-It Shad Head Jog Mold w/wire SHWB-6-A (link here)

I would like to add a wire weedguard, but I have never used any in the past. I assume I can just Dremmel the mold to add the weedguard.

Problem is that I am uncertain which one to buy. LurePartsOnline lists two.

One is the Do-It Wire Weedguard (link here)

The other is this one--maybe a little lighter. (link here)

Obviously, I want one that will help deflect some brush but I don't want it to be any stiffer than I need.

Any advice?

2. Member
    small midwest finesse.jpgI don't like wire weed guards. I use a coated stranded wire like Surflon or Sevelon. For me the 90# works great.

You do not have to Dremel the mold. Take some wire slightly larger than your weed guard and tape it where you want it. Put the mold in a large bench vice and clamp it shut.
    Last edited by Jig_Man; 03-12-2019 at 11:46 AM.

3. Member
    The Do-it wire weed guard is really light and for a swimbait head I believe it maybe too light. The other one you linked from LPO will work well and Barlow's sells the same one. Jig Man's suggestion of the nylon coated Surflon wire in 90# is probably your best bet. You'll get a heavier diameter wire guard that will deflect brush but it isn't super stiff.

I use the 2nd wire weedguard that you posted...the one made from twisted wire. I use it on jigs and like it a lot. I've also used the coated wire cable in 60 pound test only, not the 90 pound test. But, I have found that the 60 pound is not as stiff and the wire cable. That being said, the wire cable works far better in grass than it does in wood. For the jigs I fish around wood, I mainly use a traditional fiber weedguard.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to try the wire Jeff mentioned as well as the stranded wire as jig man suggested. I appreciate the help.

6. Member
    how about this........
    http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Onlin...Weedguard.html

this is a light twisted wire guard that won't poke your fingers
    Question everything!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm77 View Post
    how about this........
    http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Onlin...Weedguard.html

this is a light twisted wire guard that won't poke your fingers
    Poured some yesterday with that exact weedguard. Came out pretty good.