Recall letter, new four stroke 250

2b575473

just got a letter in the mail today from mercury about something to do with shift lever and water getting in causing electrical problem with shifting and stuff. Anybody else get this letter? Seems weird considering my boat was in and out the shop in December and January for the fuel problems, seems like mercury would’ve seen something then.

2. Member
    It is a general issue a defective part from factory. So make sure to get it done so you don’t get shifting issues

3. Member
    What serial numbers are affected? Haven't gotten one yet
    Dave Sheffield
    Proudly Representing:
    Bass Cat Boats
    Mercury Outboards
    MotorGuide Trolling Motors
    Ardent Outdoors
    Power Pole

4. Banned
    Service Bulletin 19-01: Mercury Marine has identified the potential for water to leak into the shift actuator, which could cause internal corrosion and wire damage. Failures of this type will eventually cause the engine to go into Guardian‐forced idle, loss of shift control (engine remains in its last gear position) or the engine may not restart.

Contact your authorized Mercury Marine outboard dealer to schedule a service appointment. When scheduling your service appointment, be sure to mention Mercury Outboard Service Bulletin 2019-01. This service will be performed at no charge to you.

V‐8 200–300 and V‐6 175–225 FourStroke: 2B588807 and below
    V‐8 250R, V‐8 300R/300R HD Racing Models: 1E080585 and below

5. Member
    What do they need to do to fix this issue? Is it all contained in the lower unit?
    What needs to be taken apart exactly to do this service?
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

6. Member
    That’s what I’m wondering also
    Quote Originally Posted by flatsboy View Post
    What do they need to do to fix this issue? Is it all contained in the lower unit?

V‐8 200–300 and V‐6 175–225 FourStroke: 2B588807 and below
    Got lucky....
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Registered Owners or Affected Engines were mailed a letter outlining what the problem is, and what steps need to be taken to correct it.

In simple terms- affected engines should be taken in to an Authroized Mercury Dealer so that the Shift Actuator can be changed. Pretty straightforward item.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Got lucky also.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

10. Member
    My dealer already ordered the parts for the fix for be before I called him today.
    He said he saw it pop up so he went ahead and did it and will call to schedule when they come in.
    That's great service!
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

You got that right....Proactive!
    My dealer already ordered the parts for the fix for be before I called him today.
    He said he saw it pop up so he went ahead and did it and will call to schedule when they come in.
    That's great service!

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

12. Banned
    The shift actuator is located just above the lower unit and it will be removed. The lower chaps have to be removed to gain access to the actuator wiring harness. From the looks of it, the AMS models (Verado and some SeaPro models) seems to be the biggest PITA. Flat rate for the CMS models is 1.5 hours and AMS models is 2 hours.

I took mine into the dealership yesterday morning...along with my recall letter from Mercury. When they called in the repair part (shift actuator) it came up "Backordered" and not available for 3-4 weeks. Took the boat back home and continue fishing until the part comes in.

14. Member
    Dropped mine off today for the repair. Limitout Performance Marine here in WA was on top of things and ordered my part before I knew about the problem. Gotta love top notch dealers.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Shouldn't be too long to get it in on this campaign... Ordered one for one of our customer's Warranty Replacements and it was here within (less than) 2 weeks.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Now it starts! I'll be watching these new motors.

Last edited by Rick H; 04-21-2019 at 06:48 AM.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    Now it starts! I'll be watching these new motors.

Ah the joy of new outboards