Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Better than any knot is using hollow braid. The leader is slid up inside the hollow braid. It’s super easy and is 100% and no bulky knot.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

2. Member
    Double uni.

alberto for me
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

4. Member
    Alberto

5. Member
    I'm not good with knots and have been struggling with the double uni for years. After reading this thread I looked up the Alberto. Wow, is that easy to tie! It works perfectly every time. I have officially switched knots as of right now.
    Last edited by madmurph; 03-13-2019 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post
    I'm not good with knots andhave been struggling with the double uni for years. After reading this threat I looked up the Alberto. Wow, is that easy to tie! It works perfect every time. I have officially switched knots as of right now.
    Yeah I am horrible At tying knots and have to develop my own technique. It took me awhile to get the Alberto knot down but now I can tie it consistently. One thing that confused me is that after you make the 7 loops back, you are supposed to pass the tag end back through the loop from the same direction as it came through the first Time. I don’t know what that means!!
    What I do is look at where the line enters the loop and pass it back through on the opposite side. With the loop horizontal, if the line enters on the top, I bring it back from the bottom and vice versa. Works every time.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

7. Member
    Double Uni here cery easy if youll practice lol. Very strong
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

Double uni.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

Here is another vote for the uni to uni knot.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

10. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I can't get away from how smooth the FG knot is going through the guides. Having enough leader to reel into your spool is so convenient I can't imagine not using the FG knot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Yeah I am horrible At tying knots and have to develop my own technique. It took me awhile to get the Alberto knot down but now I can tie it consistently. One thing that confused me is that after you make the 7 loops back, you are supposed to pass the tag end back through the loop from the same direction as it came through the first Time. I don’t know what that means!!
    What I do is look at where the line enters the loop and pass it back through on the opposite side. With the loop horizontal, if the line enters on the top, I bring it back from the bottom and vice versa. Works every time.
    I'm sure that what you're doing is right if it's holding for you, but I just want to clarify as this *sounds* backward - I may just not be understanding the way you're describing it.

In any case, if you think of the tag as coming "up through the loop," it needs to go back down the loop to finish it off. I hold the loop with my ring finger while making wraps so that I can make sure the loop stays oriented in the same direction. That's what people mean when they say it has to go back the same direction it came from. I get why that's confusing as well to be sure.

Brent Ehrler has a great video showing the ring finger technique on YouTube. He calls the knot an "RP knot," but it's an Alberto. Just a different name, I'm guessing driven by his being from California.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I'm sure that what you're doing is right if it's holding for you, but I just want to clarify as this *sounds* backward - I may just not be understanding the way you're describing it.

In any case, if you think of the tag as coming "up through the loop," it needs to go back down the loop to finish it off. I hold the loop with my ring finger while making wraps so that I can make sure the loop stays oriented in the same direction. That's what people mean when they say it has to go back the same direction it came from. I get why that's confusing as well to be sure.

Brent Ehrler has a great video showing the ring finger technique on YouTube. He calls the knot an "RP knot," but it's an Alberto. Just a different name, I'm guessing driven by his being from California.
    I think we are saying the same thing. I sometimes lose the original orientation of the loop and have to locate it horizontal and see which way the line enters the loop.
    One thing I look for is as you begin to tighten the knot, it has to form a loop around both the tag and main line.
    I am interested in the ring finger technique, I’ll watch the video. Sure need all the help I can get.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

13. bullyfish
    RP knot very easy to tie l have tried them all like it best. look it up on the internet

Albright knot but any knot has a problem going through micro guides.
    "Show me the water, I will fish."

15. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    There are a number of reasons why micro guides were/are a dumb idea.

Quote Originally Posted by rudapa View Post
    There are a number of reasons why micro guides were/are a dumb idea.
    You have a valid point, Russ.

However, there are also a number of reasons why micro guides were/are a great idea, as well.

17. Member
    Tactical Bassin recommends a Blood knot. Enough said.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdadking View Post
    Does anyone have any real life experience with the Lefty Kreh leader knot?
    Started using it last year when I started using braid on my spinning reels, easy to tie and haven't broken it.

The RP stands for Royal Polaris. Sport boat out of San Diego! It’s one of the best!
    Rp, Alberto, Albright, John Collins, are all the same knot. It goes through the guides beaufully. If you want the easiest method buy some Toro Tamer 20lb hollow core. Just slide the leader up inside 2 to 3 ft. Giant Chinese finger trap that you don’t have to tie. Add a quick nail knot to finish the connection.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Quote Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
    Tactical Bassin recommends a Blood knot. Enough said.
    Not when there are knots that do the job Better and faster. It’s hard to teach old dogs new tricks!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast