Stator or Voltage reg? And a carb question...

Hey guys,

I was going to PM Fred but figured I would post up in case this can help anyone in the future. I bought a 92 Stratos w/ a Rude 175 Intruder for my dad. Got it out this weekend and having a few issues. I think I know what is wrong and know Ill get it fixed, but figured Id post here for some OMC guru opinions and for others to read up on.

Model # VE175GLENC

Yesterday during a run the volt meter dropped to 12 volts, and the tach would not work/read at idle but still read while on plane (although I dont know if it was correct, but it was close). I confirmed the dash gauge was reading correctly with my multi-meter, so I def have a charging issue. My initial thought is the voltage regulator, but will confirm tomorrow night when I get the service manual out and do some testing. Second on my educated guess list is the stator. What do you think guys?

Also, sometimes when you fire it up, or when you are in gear and give it some gas it peters out and dies. Def a fuel issue as pushing the key helps, but doesnt always save it, esp if its when Im in gear and adding throttle. Pump ball back up and she is good, until it happens again sometimes in 1 min, sometimes after a couple runs. Put on new ball, no change. Checked carbs and seems to be some seepage at the bowls. My thought is air is being sucked in to the bowls causing the issue. Tomorrow Im going to take them off and check them. I have a few spares so any that are warped bad will be changed, even if I have to buy new ones. Any other guesses? BTW she runs very strong and like a top once on plane.

Thanks for any input. And running one of these engines again reminds me why they are such great outboards!
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

2. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    sounds like when my rectifier goes on my fastrike have had it go twice since I have owned it, tach stops working and charging is not correct, hope you get it figured out.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

3. Member
    try the renegade prop on it??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    sounds like when my rectifier goes on my fastrike have had it go twice since I have owned it, tach stops working and charging is not correct, hope you get it figured out.
    Thanks bud, and I agree the tach issue def points towards the volt reg/rectifier. I saw a pic last week of your Ranger, that thing is looking amazing Al, glad she is still serving you so well!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    try the renegade prop on it??
    Yes, and it runs great! A little too aggressive (low about 200-300 rpm) currently but that it because it doesnt have a jack plate yet, once it does that prop will be perfect! Even without the j/p it went 62 with 2 guys and 64 solo with awesome lift. Thanks again man, and my Dad loves his new (to him) rig!

UPDATE: Ohm tested Stator which was in spec so I swapped voltage reg and will test run later this week. Waiting on carb kits and new bowls to get here today, as all of the bowls had a visible warp once removed.

6. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Thanks john, I try to keep it looking good and people don't believe it when I tell them how old it is
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

UPDATE: It was not the VR, even though the stator ohmed good it was in fact bad. The magnets on the flywheel started to separate/crumble which damaged the stator as well. Replaced both (thank goodness for spare parts engines!) and all is right with the charging system. Glad I didnt run it much after I noticed the issue, more time would have probably lead to more debris up there and a potential larger failure!

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Good job John!