Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RT188 CARLISLE TIRES

having a hard time finding replacement tires to rt188 trailer anyone have a link to the CARLISLE TRAILER TIRE ST185/80R13 factory ones that came with it at a decent price? thanks in advance

2. Member
    I found the Carlisle on Amazon. These look like the radial version.

https://www.amazon.com/Carlisle-Radi...gateway&sr=8-2

A quick search shows Kenda and Maxxis. I know my friend had Kenda on his brand new 520L. I've not researched yet. Mine are only a couple years old. I will replace next year.

I have had Carlisle tires on Ranger boats for 25 years or so. I had them on my RT188. I tow quite a few miles in a year, and as a personal opinion for the first time I have been very unhappy with the tires.

There is a Firestone store with great service close to me. They ordered and sold me the Carlisle tires when I bought the replacements. After the belts separated again, I went to Firestone and asked for some help. They sold me their house brand of trailer tire for my RT and said they hardly ever have had any returns or any complaints on them. So far they have been great. They also stand behind the tire in case there are any complaints. I could not find a trailer tire made in America that would for the RT.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

4. Member
    Has anyone upgraded to 14" wheels on the 188 without swapping fenders? The Endurance comes in 205/7514

5. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    tirerack.com has been a good resource for me in the past....
    Goodyear Marathon, if they are still available.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Has anyone upgraded to 14" wheels on the 188 without swapping fenders? The Endurance comes in 205/7514
    If my calculations are correct, the 205/75R14 is 19 inches diameter, while the ST185/80R13 is 19.4 inches. It is a little wider at 8.4 versus 7.4 for the 13 inch.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

2014 Ranger RT188
    115 Merc 4s, laser II 20p
    humminbirds

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I found the Carlisle on Amazon. These look like the radial version.

https://www.amazon.com/Carlisle-Radi...gateway&sr=8-2
    I have these exact tires sitting in my garage waiting to be mounted. They look nice, but we'll see how they work.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    If my calculations are correct, the 205/75R14 is 19 inches diameter, while the ST185/80R13 is 19.4 inches. It is a little wider at 8.4 versus 7.4 for the 13 inch.
    Don't suppose you know if the width would fit? I really want to go to those tires.

Quote Originally Posted by cdemarse View Post
    Don't suppose you know if the width would fit? I really want to go to those tires.
    The width should fit, especially if the offset on the rim is the same.
    Suggest you PM BassTrackerOptimax, he is much more knowledgeable on tires than I, and he put 14 inch wheels on his Tracker boat.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

11. Member
    I just had a blowout with the factory Carlisle tires on my 188 trailer. It is a 2017 model and the air pressures were checked the night before I left out. I may have hit something in the road, who knows? I do know the tire came completely apart. Fortunately, I carry a small floor jack in my truck and have an expandable lug wrench with correct socket I keep in the boat. I went to my tire guy today and he suggested Maxxis M8008 tires in that size. He said he has sold a ton of them and they are the only brand tires he runs on his trailer. They should be here tomorrow.

12. Member
    Regardless of the brand I would not run any tire that is not trailer rated. IMO car/truck tires do not work well on trailers.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

Quote Originally Posted by scfisherdude View Post
    I just had a blowout with the factory Carlisle tires on my 188 trailer. It is a 2017 model and the air pressures were checked the night before I left out. I may have hit something in the road, who knows? I do know the tire came completely apart. Fortunately, I carry a small floor jack in my truck and have an expandable lug wrench with correct socket I keep in the boat. I went to my tire guy today and he suggested Maxxis M8008 tires in that size. He said he has sold a ton of them and they are the only brand tires he runs on his trailer. They should be here tomorrow.
    They will NEVER EVER be on my trailer again....
    About the same thing happened to me TWICE with them and I am very particular about air pressure.
    Once, I was leaving to go fishing and would have been on the interstate at 60 MPH or so....luckily I saw a knot on the tread area that looked like the tire had an elbow. Then I had another tread separate on the new replacements... I changed them out that day and never looked back. Having a blowout on the interstate could really be a serious situation. Not worth it to me.

The Maxxis tires also sound like a good option. Firestone swore about the reliability of the trailer tires I put on and so far they have been great. They are their tires made for trailers and towing but do not have the Firestone name on them. Be cautious with the tires you run. One time I actually had one tire blow up and it wasn't even on the ground. It was on the spare tire rack on the trailer.

I am going to be replacing my stock tires on my RT 178 in the next couple of weeks. I am going back with Carlisle. The stock ones have been great. They have been all over the east coast in the past 4 and half years.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I have had Carlisle tires on Ranger boats for 25 years or so. I had them on my RT188. I tow quite a few miles in a year, and as a personal opinion for the first time I have been very unhappy with the tires.

There is a Firestone store with great service close to me. They ordered and sold me the Carlisle tires when I bought the replacements. After the belts separated again, I went to Firestone and asked for some help. They sold me their house brand of trailer tire for my RT and said they hardly ever have had any returns or any complaints on them. So far they have been great. They also stand behind the tire in case there are any complaints. I could not find a trailer tire made in America that would for the RT.
    Which Carlisle tires did you have? There are different varieties.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    They would be incorrect.

The 185/80R13 tire is 24.7" diameter and the 205/75/R14 tires are 26.1" diameter.

I have been trying to find someone local with the 14" on their Ranger and try to see if they would fit mine but haven't ran across anyone yet.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    Which Carlisle tires did you have? There are different varieties.
    I don't know. They are the ones that Ranger put on the trailer. I had trouble with those and with the same replacements. I had to special order the Carlisle replacements so I could get the same thing that came on the trailer. The original set lasted about three years and when the belt separated, I thought it was a fluke because I had Ranger Boats with Carlisles for years .... Then I had belt trouble again with the new set. That's when I went a different direction.

I would have probably not bought the Firestone store brand tire but that is where I ordered the Carlisle replacements and they took care of me with new tires. They swore by the store trailer tire, they had them, I was fishing the next day, I needed another set, I was fishing the next day, they told me if I didn't like them I could come back and get something else or get my money back, I was fishing the next day....LOL. I had to do something so I had them put on.... I have been pleased so far after about 6,000 miles or so. I am not recommending them at all, I just was not putting the other tires back on there again. I was afraid to drive it very far or fast and they had the ones I bought handy, so I did it.

If you want to know exactly what Carlisle tire it was just ask somebody with a RT to help answer.... I don't remember anything except the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by scfisherdude View Post
    I just bought another Carilisle, but same thing, came apart doing about 70 down interstate. Had to call a wrecker to brake lugs loose. After this I bought a battery powered impact that i'll carry anytime i tow.
    Last edited by fishinSteve; 03-14-2019 at 09:33 AM.

2014 Ranger RT188
    115 Merc 4s, laser II 20p
    humminbirds

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinSteve View Post
    I just bought another Carilisle, but same thing, came apart doing about 70 down interstate. Had to call a wrecker to brake lugs loose. After this I bought a battery powered impact wrench that i'll carry anytime i tow.
    which Carlisle tire?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I don't know. They are the ones that Ranger put on the trailer. I had trouble with those and with the same replacements. I had to special order the Carlisle replacements so I could get the same thing that came on the trailer. The original set lasted about three years and when the belt separated, I thought it was a fluke because I had Ranger Boats with Carlisles for years .... Then I had belt trouble again with the new set. That's when I went a different direction.

I would have probably not bought the Firestone store brand tire but that is where I ordered the Carlisle replacements and they took care of me with new tires. They swore by the store trailer tire, they had them, I was fishing the next day, I needed another set, I was fishing the next day, they told me if I didn't like them I could come back and get something else or get my money back, I was fishing the next day....LOL. I had to do something so I had them put on.... I have been pleased so far after about 6,000 miles or so. I am not recommending them at all, I just was not putting the other tires back on there again. I was afraid to drive it very far or fast and they had the ones I bought handy, so I did it.

If you want to know exactly what Carlisle tire it was just ask somebody with a RT to help answer.... I don't remember anything except the brand.
    The new ones are "Load Star" brand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast