Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Angler103 View Post
    Why did you go to lithiums?
    If you're asking me. 1st thing was weight. Haven't fished a tourney yet but I have run it with full livewells and two Talon's with about half a tank of gas. Seems to be quicker on plane which has to be easier on the outboard also easier on the trailer with the lighten load. 2nd would be battery life that remains to be seen of course. After a lot of feedback from other user's it seems the positives certainly out weight the negatives imo.
    22 Triton TRX20 22 Pro XS 250
    16 Triton 1760sc 16 Merc 75hp

The only true way to determine a batteries capacity is to do a capacity test using a load bank and run it for the amount of time from the manufacturer. The time of the test and amps drawn during test is dependent on end voltage. This data can be found by contacting the manufacturer.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

Lithium batteries also hate heat. For every 10 degrees of constant temperature above the manufacturers recommended temp the batteries life is cut in half.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toofy View Post
    You cannot use your regular voltage meter to check capacity with a lithium. It's much more complicated which is why I asked how folks are measuring capacity. I have this which was sold to me by Lithium Pros but I'm not sure it's hooked up correctly.

https://www.victronenergy.com/batter.../bmv-712-smart
    You are correct. you can only get a ballpark DOD with static monitoring.(10 to 15% accuracy) However if you size the battery properly(to use only 80% or less) in your typical day fishing. So even if you go to 90 or even 100% at times you still will get more charge cycles than 10 years worth of fishing. It is worth it if you have a few batteries you can monitor with your Victron meter though. Bob

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgs1967! View Post
    Lithium batteries also hate heat. For every 10 degrees of constant temperature above the manufacturers recommended temp the batteries life is cut in half.
    I would guess similar statistics would apply to Lead acid batteries. The big advantage to me for Lithium the Depth of discharge tolerance and the number of cycles blow lead acid out of the water. My batteries Temp stats:
    TEMPERATURE SPECIFICATIONS
    Discharge Temperature -4 to 140 ºF (-20 to 60 ºC)
    Charge Temperature 32 to 113 ºF (0 to 45 ºC)
    Storage Temperature 23 to 95 ºF (-5 to 35 ºC)
    BMS High Temperature Cut-Off 176 ºF (80 ºC)
    Reconnect Temperature 122 ºF (50 ºC)

You are correct
    A lead acid batteries life is cut in half for every 10 degrees constant temp over approximately 77 degrees. I was obviously wrong on heat possibly being an issue with lithium because you will stay well below the manufacturers recommended temp.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

There really aren't many disadvantages I can see except maybe the cost and lithium batteries need a special charger. Is the extra cost worth it in your opinion?
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

8. Member
    Yes but the cost advantage needs time to play out. If you are gonna trade the boat in 3 years you are going to take a beating. Duel pro can program their chargers to specs for lithium. Minn Kota PC chargers set at AGM parameter are good for Lithium. The charger needs to be OK'd by your battery maker and you are good to go. It is a big chunk of money up front. I am sure it is over most young guy's budgets. I was there for many years. I think prices will steadily get more reasonable through competition. If you can afford them and are gonna keep your ride long enough it is a good investment. My replacement warranty is 3 years and the next 2 are prorated. I hope to get 8 to 10 out of mine. Lord willing I last that long. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Yes but the cost advantage needs time to play out. If you are gonna trade the boat in 3 years you are going to take a beating. Duel pro can program their chargers to specs for lithium. Minn Kota PC chargers set at AGM parameter are good for Lithium. The charger needs to be OK'd by your battery maker and you are good to go. It is a big chunk of money up front. I am sure it is over most young guy's budgets. I was there for many years. I think prices will steadily get more reasonable through competition. If you can afford them and are gonna keep your ride long enough it is a good investment. My replacement warranty is 3 years and the next 2 are prorated. I hope to get 8 to 10 out of mine. Lord willing I last that long. Bob
    I can see the long term advantage like you are saying. Like any technology the prices will start to come down.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

10. Member
    For those that say Lithiums don't make sense financially, you are correct. You don't buy Lithiums for financial reasons. I didn't buy my pickup truck because of the great gas mileage compared to my neighbor's Prius.

I went lithium for battery performance...if I sell the rig..batteries and charger will come out and be replaced with quality agms formthe new owner and an appropriate charger. All my statistics were gottan from just a typical volt meter...and relion spec sheets.

12. Member
    Put a the Relion RB100 in for the cranking/electronics back in 7/2015, still performing flawlessly with plenty of power all day. Like it so much I upgrade my TM batteries at the end of 2015, put in 2 50ah and have gone for 2 days without draining them. 2015 Nitro Z7 with Opti Pro XS 150 and it just jumps on plane now and I gained almost 2mph using the same prop. GPS right at 60 before and now can touch 61.7-9 depending on conditions. That is with full fishing load and about 20 gallons of fuel, empty livewells.

13. Banned
    RB100HP should be your cranking battery/w electronics wired also.. RB100 for trolling motor. There is a big difference between the 100 and the 100HP when it comes to capabilities and durability.

14. Member
    After a few days of my 4 Relion set up, here is my observation - I have the 100HP for cranking and the 3 100RB for troller. The MK 460PC will bring the batteries to the flashing green stage, but I have not seen a solid green light yet for any of the 4 batteries. If it brings them to 90-95%, I probably will never have an issue on the water. The starting battery will get some charge when I am running around. I have yet to drain my trollers (even pre lithium) due to the style we fish. Mainly deep water with minimal current. I did the switch for the trollers to make the charging set up much easier and to drop 100lbs of weight.

If I were to go and spend the $$$$ on Lithium and I didn't gain AT LEAST 5mph I'd be disappointed to say the least. For now I think I'll stick w AGM and replace them as needed.
    2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

How much would it cost for a 36 volt top of the line lithium batteries and charger + cranking battery . I've got about $ 2,000.00 in my AGM's and PC 460 charger . I love the idea of lithium but I'm about a 4 hour a day fisherman now .

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgs1967! View Post
    You are correct
    A lead acid batteries life is cut in half for every 10 degrees constant temp over approximately 77 degrees. I was obviously wrong on heat possibly being an issue with lithium because you will stay well below the manufacturers recommended temp.
    Wow! I had no idea a lead acid battery (either actually) lost that much with heat! Racking the brain trying to remember the few times I ran my trolling AGM 31’s down how hot it was. That’s nuts! Mine are exposed to sun while in the boat as well. Hmmm.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend Chris View Post
    If I were to go and spend the $$$$ on Lithium and I didn't gain AT LEAST 5mph I'd be disappointed to say the least. For now I think I'll stick w AGM and replace them as needed.
    That is asking way too much. The amount of thrust you gain from a lithium if any would be negligable. I cannot imagine getting more than a tenth or two of voltage under load gain and that is not going to give you any more thrust or speed.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    That is asking way too much. The amount of thrust you gain from a lithium if any would be negligable. I cannot imagine getting more than a tenth or two of voltage under load gain and that is not going to give you any more thrust or speed.

He meant the boats WOT speed, due to the weight savings of the lithium’s.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ93 View Post
    I'd go with 100ah. I have 3 ReLions in my boat and all are 100ah. Never had a single problem with these batteries running down.
    are you running a regular rb100 for cranking or a hp?
    Last edited by rolopayne; 10-05-2019 at 11:04 PM.
    2014 Xpress X-19 Pro Yammy VMAX 175 HDPI

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast