VesselVeiw Fault

2019 40 hp four stroke 1C563915

Installed vessel view and did not even start the engine just turned the key to on to connect the device to my phone. After connecting I noticed there was a fault logged saying 3152-16 Warning horn Engine:STBD. then the date and words saying service engine soon. There is no "test beep" when keyed up so I looked in the owners manual under operation and it did not mention anything about an audible sound during starting. Thanks for any help.

2. Member
    I assume you have never had an audible “beep” when turning the key on even before installing Vessel View Mobile?

if so, then the fault is just stating simply that: you do not have a warning horn wired to you engine wiring harness, or if you do it’s not working. Without Smartcraft gauges or something like VV Mobile or Link, the only way the engine can alert you to a fault is with the warning horn and depending on the number or pattern of beeps you can kind of diagnose it.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There should be a test beep sounded at keyup. The engine PCM looks up the signal wire and checks resistance value, if the value is outside of the pre-programmed range for a Mercury Warning Horn, a fault is set.

Pretty straightforward- check the keyswitch harness for a warning horn. Should be connected to a Purple (12V+ keyed power) and a tan w/blue stripe (signal) wire.

Either not there, or faulty.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    DOM the first time I ever turned the key on was after I installed VesselView to connect to the device.
    EuropeanAM I will check the wiring.

Thanks for the replies

5. Member
    Hopefully it’s just the horn being disconnected. I know a couple of people who disconnected theirs because they hated the beep when turning the key on.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I've known quite a few who disconnected theirs to "fix" the warning horn going off. Some of them had a new sound that developed shortly thereafter.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Pretty straightforward- check the key-switch harness for a warning horn. Should be connected to a Purple (12V+ keyed power) and a tan w/blue stripe (signal) wire.

Well here is what I found. The purple wire from the key switch was connected to the auxiliary wire from the radio. The tan with blue stripe was connected to nothing. I removed the purple wire from radio and connected it to the tan/blue wire. Here's the funny thing, the fault went away when key was turned on but I did not get a warning horn sound. I don't know if the horn is supposed to be attached to the boat or it is in the motor.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    YOU DO NOT CONNECT WIRES TOGETHER!!!! That is a DEAD SHORT!

Disconnect the wires from each other immediately.

You need a Mercury Warning Horn connected TO those two wires, color to color. If still unsure of what to do, it would be wise to enlist the hands-on expertise of someone that's trained (or at least knowledgeable) in the system.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I've known quite a few who disconnected theirs to "fix" the warning horn going off. Some of them had a new sound that developed shortly thereafter.
    That's called a smoke test as compared to an annoying test beep to confirm the warning horn will alert the operator to a potential critical fault.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Member
    As mentioned, the horn is wired right to the wires by the key switch. It’s a little black plastic cylinder. Sometimes red in older models I believe. If you don’t have one under there somewhere, they are actually pretty cheap as far as Mercury parts are concerned :). Should be $15 or so.

11. Member
    Well I guess I misunderstood your comment about the wires. I know about dead shorts but thought the horn was on the motor. I will look into getting a horn installed. I should be ok until I get the horn installed because the vesselview device will show engine faults. That's one of the reasons I installed it because the boat has only a speedometer.

Thanks for the replies and covering my behind

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mercury horn will be a bit more than $15, but they're not that bad, if you get the right part number.

13. Member
    Went onto Mercury web site punched in serial number of motor and year and found what looked like a complete wiring harness.Key choke and horn kit 15000A14. Included in the kit was a part number for horn assembly warning part number 16564A1. Did a search on line and found one on <Edit-Announcements> for 14 bucks. Picture shows a positive and negative stab but I don't know if I can use this separately from the key, choke, and horn kit. Any thoughts since my ignition did not have a warning horn
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 03-15-2019 at 06:12 PM.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That should work- though it's not the one we most commonly use (most common one has bullet connectors on it's harness). Definitely reasonable enough.

15. Member
    I found a warning alarm on Crowley Marine ( 84-8M3001068) which had the bullet connectors and was a bit more than 14 bucks. This one appears to be used independent of the replacement horn I found on the mercury web site which was part of the whole ignition and wiring harness. I will let you know how it goes when I get it installed. Again thanks for the help.

16. Member
    Update on warning alarm. received it today and installed it. Turned the key and BEEP. It is working. Thanks for all your help and patients. It sure is nice to have a place to go like this site when you have question. Thanks again everyone.

17. Member
    One more thing i forgot to mention, no fault registered on Vessel View

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If the horn is working, you will not have a fault to display on Vessel View.