Best jig skipping baitcasting reel?

What have you guys found to be the best caster for skipping jigs under docks? Learning the technique and really like it, now Id like to take my reel to the next level. Currently using Quantum smokes. Thanks
    Danny

It's hard to beat the Daiwa Tatula SV TW as far as quality, value, and getting the job done...

3. Member
    I'll second the Daiwa Tatula SV. Got one last year to learn to skip. Happy with it so far. Tackle Trap has a special on them in the Reels for Sale forum.

4. Member
    Tatula SV TW is a great choice. If you want to step it up, grab the Zillion SV TW. Tackletrap has great prices on them

5. Member
    Zillion SV

6. Member
    Sweet, thanks for the replies. I have a couple Tatulas that I use for crankbaiting and love them. I might have to give a Zillion a try on the old dock skipping rod.
    Danny

7. Member
    SV103XS - I can skip like a baby

I have tried many in the past and this one just have "IT" factor.
    Sad, this model is no longer around and harder to find.

8. Member
    Tatula sv, hands down. I purchased one recently from another BBC member and it has been a complete game changer for skipping. I’ll admit, I am not a great skipper and sometimes miss my target completely and hit the dock instead. I’d normally have a huge backlash on my curados, but the sv spool stops on a dime and is essentially backlash free when dialed in correctly.

9. Member
    Tatula SV, Zillion SV, or SV103XS

10. Banned
    I don't think there is a best, whatever you are comfortable with. I use all of one brand/ model so switching because one reel is "better" just doesn't make sense.

11. Scraps
    Have never tried one but everyone seems to say that T-wing thingy is the real deal and helps skipping. Beyond that, provided it's not a round reel, the reel that's in your hand is the best skipping reel. I'm not a big believer in technique-specific reels other than gear ratios.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Have never tried one but everyone seems to say that T-wing thingy is the real deal and helps skipping. Beyond that, provided it's not a round reel, the reel that's in your hand is the best skipping reel. I'm not a big believer in technique-specific reels other than gear ratios.
    The T-wing may help, but its the SV spool that is the deal for skipping.

13. Member
    What would be the advantage of the Zillion SV TWS vs the Tatula SV TWS?

Quote Originally Posted by freelancer27 View Post
    What would be the advantage of the Zillion SV TWS vs the Tatula SV TWS?
    There have been many discussions here on BBC about the subject, a search will yield the results. The free floating spool to name one thing first and foremost. Is it worth the MSRP $100 difference? Well, that depends on your budget, preferences, etc. Both reels are fantastic and excellent on the water performers. They share practically the same frame, palming characteristics, SV technology, but the Zillion is a little bit more refined, a little lighter, and features that legendary Daiwa free floating spool design.

Guess i will go against the grain here,, I own a both Tatula and Zillion SV/TW reels and they are great and good skipping reels for sure,, but they are not even close to the Shimano Curado 150 DC in terms of both skipping and distance in my opinion ,

16. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    There have been many discussions here on BBC about the subject, a search will yield the results. The free floating spool to name one thing first and foremost. Is it worth the MSRP $100 difference? Well, that depends on your budget, preferences, etc. Both reels are fantastic and excellent on the water performers. They share practically the same frame, palming characteristics, SV technology, but the Zillion is a little bit more refined, a little lighter, and features that legendary Daiwa free floating spool design.
    Yeah, what he said!

Personally the “basic” SV TWS is my favorite. I can’t justify the extra money but I wouldn’t kick the Zillion outta bed!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

17. Banned
    The tatula sv excels at skipping. I have one on every rod that has the potential to skip a lure. All other rods have tatula ct or fuego reels.

18. Member
    Personally I use BB1 Lews and I have found that the rod is more important than a good quality reel. Without the T-wing I just make sure the line retrieve is always in the center of the spool. The rod is a 6’8” med. action.

Tatula SV

20. Member
    I just bought a Tatula SV for this exact application.