Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    If I use it I feel like I need a better scope for it. The gun was around $900 way back then and we but a $100 Tasco 50mm on it. I'd like to have a Leupold on it to complete it. I'm so out of touch on hunting gear what would be a good model? Is 40mm or 44mm the go to?
    I've never used a 44mm, but have several 40's and 1-50mm and I can't see any need in going above 40 imo. But what I would do on the 700 before I re-scoped it would be to put another trigger on it...a Timney or whatever brand "trips your trigger" (pun intended). Not going to start a firestorm on here, but if you have been out of the loop for a while, some of the 700's have had trigger malfunctions and most guys that I know have changed their's out. Better be safe than sorry.

You're avatar makes me think of "truck boat truck" and Glug. Dont touch the trim.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by preacher ed View Post
    I've never used a 44mm, but have several 40's and 1-50mm and I can't see any need in going above 40 imo. But what I would do on the 700 before I re-scoped it would be to put another trigger on it...a Timney or whatever brand "trips your trigger" (pun intended). Not going to start a firestorm on here, but if you have been out of the loop for a while, some of the 700's have had trigger malfunctions and most guys that I know have changed their's out. Better be safe than sorry.
    Is there a time frame on that? This gun is right at 20 years old because I was about 10-13 when he bought it and I'm about to be 34. So around 1995-1998.

I love my 30-06

5. Member
    .270 caliber

Browning X bolt Rifle. Wood stock, blued barrel, Leupold scope, DNZ game reaper mounts.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    Stainless Tikka with synthetic stock in either 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08. Put a good scope on it, feed it ELD-X bullets, and have fun.
    Like the calibers but I prefer the feel of wood stocks even if I have to take better care of it. Lots of nice bolt actions out there in the $700-$1000 range so I'd choose the one that fits me best and had the right safety/trigger/bolt combination.

If I use it I feel like I need a better scope for it. The gun was around $900 way back then and we but a $100 Tasco 50mm on it. I'd like to have a Leupold on it to complete it. I'm so out of touch on hunting gear what would be a good model? Is 40mm or 44mm the go to?
    Put some decent glass on it and use the .270! Anything at the quality level of a VX II or up would dress up that rifle just fine. I prefer to mount my scopes low so that might help determine tube and lens sizes. You might want to google your 40mm vs 44mm question. I'm sure there's plenty of facts and opinions on the subject.

7. Member
    Well, not knowing exactly what your hunting, I am going to choose a few that would be great for all around. In calibers would be 243, 6mm, 270, 6.5 creedmore, 308, 300 savage, 7mm-08, 7mm magnum, 30-06, 25-06, ect. There are a bunch of different calibers and each one I listed and there are a few more are great up to at least 400 yards. Some listed are better for even farther shots. I have hunted will all of them and personally will go back to my 270 majority of the time simply because it’s one of my favorites to shoot in my collection. But if I know I have a further shot then I will hunt with my savage 7mm as the round is more capable of longer shots. I don’t really hunt with my savage 30-06 much as the gun is a synthetic stock and kicks like a mule. Before I got my 270, growing up I hunted with a Remington model seven 6mm that to this day I have not had a deer or pig run on me with that gun, and is the gun I start my son on when he is old enough. If you have spots where your going to be making further shots go with a 7mm or 30-06 in a nice wood stock that has a little more weight to it with a nice recoil pad. If your shots are around 300 yards then I would choose a nice 243 or 270. As far as brand, look around and see what fits you best. In wood stocks I love my Remington 700, my older savages, and my Winchester model 70s. The next wood stock I get will be a browning as I don’t have one yet.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1992 View Post
    Well, not knowing exactly what your hunting, I am going to choose a few that would be great for all around. In calibers would be 243, 6mm, 270, 6.5 creedmore, 308, 300 savage, 7mm-08, 7mm magnum, 30-06, 25-06, ect. There are a bunch of different calibers and each one I listed and there are a few more are great up to at least 400 yards. Some listed are better for even farther shots. I have hunted will all of them and personally will go back to my 270 majority of the time simply because it’s one of my favorites to shoot in my collection. But if I know I have a further shot then I will hunt with my savage 7mm as the round is more capable of longer shots. I don’t really hunt with my savage 30-06 much as the gun is a synthetic stock and kicks like a mule. Before I got my 270, growing up I hunted with a Remington model seven 6mm that to this day I have not had a deer or pig run on me with that gun, and is the gun I start my son on when he is old enough. If you have spots where your going to be making further shots go with a 7mm or 30-06 in a nice wood stock that has a little more weight to it with a nice recoil pad. If your shots are around 300 yards then I would choose a nice 243 or 270. As far as brand, look around and see what fits you best. In wood stocks I love my Remington 700, my older savages, and my Winchester model 70s. The next wood stock I get will be a browning as I don’t have one yet.
    Like Stompy said I think I'll use my 270 Remingron 700 BDL. I may not hunt this year unless I can find a place. I got out of hunting in my teens because finding a place was so political having to join a camp so I fished instead. The gun is in a safe in my home town about 400 miles from here. I'll pick her up next time I'm there, see about getting a better scope, and it least shoot it some. Thanks for all the responses guys. The gun has so much sentimental value I was hesitant to use it but that's why my Grandpaw bought it for me and that's what I should do with it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    Yup. If you want a rifle for deer and yotes a 243 would be perfect. And I see you are from Arkansas just like me and we don't have the biggest deer in the nation by any stretch. A 243 would do fine on both. As far a brand I really like Tikka and Sako rifles and prefer wood and blued steel but there a lots of great options these days. My personal go to deer rifle is a Tikka M695 in 270 win. My wife gave it to me for Christmas many years ago as her father had one I always admired. She did good, it's super accurate, has beautiful wood, and a really nice crisp adjustable trigger.
    I too have one of these in 243 cal I bought many years ago...never been fired.
    I've got money I haven't even spent yet!
    2011 Nitro Z8--200 pro xs

10. Member
    Imo really, really hard to beat a tikka t3x as far as bang for the buck. I like the removable mags rather than a floor plate, the actions are smooth and accuracy is quite good out of the box. Cost is less than many comparable or even lesser guns. I like mine a lot better than my wifes kimber.
    I like wood/blued—wood doesnt feel quite as cold in the hands and its quieter in brush, and I like the looks of blued steel. I prefer short action cartridges, mines a 7mm-08 and I would not feel undergunned on an elk with appropriate bullets. Mine wears a 2.5-10x

Quote Originally Posted by Stompy View Post
    Use it, he would want you to. Can't think of nothing better than making memories with a gift I received from someone that cared for me.
    That would be so cool!

Stainless/synthetic would be my choice. IMO, stay with known RIFLE makers. Winchester, Ruger Savage and Remington (in that order) but none are bad. Get a 7mm-08 and kill anything except a grizzly near. Other good choices are 243, 308, 270, and 30-06. Ammunition is everywhere. In the 243, make sure you use good bullets, not just cheap stuff.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

13. Member
    For your scenario the best caliber would be a 6.5 Creedmore in any manufacturer in a SS steel and synthetic stock. You can get heavier loads for deer and lighter loads for varmints bullets have good coefficient and speed for less drop at long range hunting.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEO COBRA 98 View Post
    That would be so cool!
    That's what I've decided, use it like it should be and get rid of the cheap Tasco scope for a Leupold. I probably have less than 50 rounds through it if that.

Sounds like you decided to use your 270, good. Don't go cheap on a scope is my advise, and make sure and get one with enough power. Me personally I wouldn't go less than a 12 power for my uses but you might be able to get by with a 9 power. If you think you'll ever be shooting 200 yards plus I'd definitely not go lower than 12 power. Don't limit yourself with a smaller power, you can always turn it down.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stompy View Post
    Sounds like you decided to use your 270, good. Don't go cheap on a scope is my advise, and make sure and get one with enough power. Me personally I wouldn't go less than a 12 power for my uses but you might be able to get by with a 9 power. If you think you'll ever be shooting 200 yards plus I'd definitely not go lower than 12 power. Don't limit yourself with a smaller power, you can always turn it down.
    Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40mm?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RANGER487 View Post
    I love my 30-06
    I'm sure there is a time period, but I'm a Ruger guy and not up on the Remingtons. I know there are a lot of Remington guys who say it is hogwash and blame the owners of them and say that they haven't cleaned their rifles properly, etc. However, my nephew owns one in a 270 and 3 years ago, his went off without a finger on the trigger while, I think it was, while loading one in the chamber while hunting. He worked at a local sporting goods store and took it to the gunsmith that worked there and he could find nothing wrong (no dirt, oil, grime, or anything that should have caused it). Remington has a recall on certain triggers and it would be wise, in my opinion, to call them and give them the ser. # and see if it is one of the bad triggers. But most guys I know of just put a Timney, TriggerTech, or one of the others in their rifles. Remington will put another trigger in it for you if it is one of them I believe, but you will have to send it back to them. Let us know and hope it works out well for you!

18. Member

Thumbs Up

Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40mm?

19. Member
    Cestratton...I just saw there is a thread on here about the recall. Look below this thread and see the title RE:Remington Safety Recall and it might help you a little bit.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by preacher ed View Post
    Cestratton...I just saw there is a thread on here about the recall. Look below this thread and see the title RE:Remington Safety Recall and it might help you a little bit.
    I currently don't have the gun, it's in a safe at my Grandpaw's house about 400 miles away. My Uncle goes there every weekend and stays just to care for the place. He is going to get me the date code but I know it was bought for me new around 1996-98. I'll see when it was made and see if that is a problem year. I know pre 1982 you had to put them in fire just to pull the bolt back and chamber a round, they would fire when being put into safety that was supposedly fixed then in the 2000's the went to a new style trigger (X something I believe) that had incidental firing issues but I'm not sure about years in between. I may have a Timney trigger put in just in case.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast