Question Ultrex is bigger than a Fortrex. Questions on how to address

I installed and used my Ultrex for the first time over the weekend. It's worth the investment and I'm looking forward to using it for a long time. But it is a little bigger than my Fortrex and I'm looking for some guidance on how to deal with it.

1. I have a BassCat Puma and because the TM is longer I'm unable to open my rod locker on the port side. I did extend the bar it rests on but now the TM isn't locked into place. Does anyone have any guidance or other suggestions?

2. The foot pedal is slightly bigger but it still fits in the well. Unfortunately it now encroaches with my graph. I plan to raise it up out of the way.

3. I have an external transducer for sonar and down imaging (HB 1159). I don't need the US2 cable. Can it be removed?

4. Also, the make up of the top hinge point is different and I needed to adjust the transducer connections versus my Fortrex. Unfortunately I had some issues on the water. Does anyone have any pics with a good way to set it up?

Thanks for any info and suggestions!
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

First, some pics would help to understand your problems. But,
    # 1 are you talking about the bounce buster leg stopping you from opening the locker ? You may just have to not use it. or put it on the outside if it will hit
    on the gunnel. Mine did.
    # 2 yes, raising it should work
    # 3 if it's not in the way, just leave it. I don't need or use mine either
    # 4 not sure what you are talking about
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    Thanks for the response. Here is some additional info that may help.

1. My rod locker door can't open all the way because the TM head is over the top of it. I raised the resting point of the TM so it sits in a slight angle to create the space and the TM doesn't lock in place now. Not sure if this is an issue or not. It could bounce in rough water. I'm going to check if there's a device that could lock it to the deck.

4. I was able to use a cable tie to fasten the cable to the fortrex steering module. The ultrex doesn't have anything to run the cable tie through which leaves a lot of floating slack. This slack did get caught under the motor frame one time.

I noticed you are from Fresno. I went to college there and still very involved with the university - Go Bulldogs!

Thanks again.
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

4. Member
    1) The Troll Tamer from TH Marine will lock your motor in place. There will be no up or down movement if you do a good installation.

2) I used some rubberized cable clamps and stainless bolts to fasten the transducer cable to the steering module on my Ultrex. On the bottom of the module, you will see some threads that will accept bolts. Offhand, I could not tell you the exact size of the bolts as I don't remember and my boat is away in winter storage. Also, you will see in the same pic that I ran the transducer and ethernet cables along the mount to avoid electrical interference. Soonafter the ethernet cable got caught in the hinge and was destroyed. I changed the two cables to run down the cable jacket of the Ultrex instead, and it has been fine. No electrical interference.

image.jpg1_zpsudjqtgil.jpgIMG_0983.jpg
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. Member
    The troll tamer is a great option to lock it down. I wanted to use one on mine but I mounted it so it wouldn't block my rod locker. Now I don't have enough room for the tt. The only way I can think of to fix your issue would be drill a few new holes and remount it or see if you can lower the shaft enough to get it out of the way.

Im not a cat guy but knowing how they moving everything very far forward you will probably have to just move your graph. I went with an over the well mount but I don't know if that's an option for you.

Catdude had a good idea for cable routing. The bolts are 5/16 but if you go with a troll tamer you will have a couple extra.

The us2 cable has a connection inside the head. Take the screws out of the bottom and remove the top to access it.

#2. If the foot pedal rubs any part of the tray, it will turn off Spotlock due to resistance.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Thanks catdude and Mitch. That is enough info to make the adjustments.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmelford View Post
    I installed and used my Ultrex for the first time over the weekend. It's worth the investment and I'm looking forward to using it for a long time. But it is a little bigger than my Fortrex and I'm looking for some guidance on how to deal with it.

1. I have a BassCat Puma and because the TM is longer I'm unable to open my rod locker on the port side. I did extend the bar it rests on but now the TM isn't locked into place. Does anyone have any guidance or other suggestions?

2. The foot pedal is slightly bigger but it still fits in the well. Unfortunately it now encroaches with my graph. I plan to raise it up out of the way.

3. I have an external transducer for sonar and down imaging (HB 1159). I don't need the US2 cable. Can it be removed?

4. Also, the make up of the top hinge point is different and I needed to adjust the transducer connections versus my Fortrex. Unfortunately I had some issues on the water. Does anyone have any pics with a good way to set it up?

Thanks for any info and suggestions!
    I too have a Puma (2005 model) and the head doesn't allow for the rod box to open. The only time that is a problem for me is when it's on the trailer and I need in the box, otherwise the motor is deployed and it's not an issue. I have a piece of 4" pvc cut to where I can put it under trolling motor arm, lifting it enough to raise the rod locker. I would not advise using the stabilizer to rest the motor on without it being locked down.
    I went to a ram swing arm mount for the depth finder so I can move it away from the pedal. Even at that, I had to raise the base of the mount up 3" so the arms would clear the recess
    the US2 cable can be removed by opening the top, unscrewing the connection and fishing it out
    I come up the shaft with the cable to a point apx 10" below the steering module when the motor is all the way down, make a loop to the plastic grommet where the cables on into the steering module and tape to the plastic grommet, then using electricians tape, follow the steering cables to the footpedal and over to the trolling motor. The excess is put inside the hole that the power cable comes out of. Use electricians tape as zip ties will tend to cut into the transducer cable.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

9. Member
    Thanks John. The additional info is helpful especially disconnecting the US2 cable. I did make some adjustments and things went well this past weekend. Although I still need to do something about the graph. I have it slightly tilted away from me which is good enough for now. I planning to try some larger rubber spacers to see if it provides enough clearance before investing in a new mount. Thanks again!