Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for local knowledge (maine)

I live in Virginia and have inlaws that live in the Seabago Lake area. The past 2 years I have stayed with them and fished Kezar Lake in late Sept/ early Oct. Had decent luck, but would like to improve, so I'm looking for suggestions. Is this the right time of year? Being retired, we can go anytime. What other lakes within say an hour of Seabago would be good? We caught fish on texas rigged worms, jigs, and crankbaits near visible rockpiles on Kezar. What other patterns/techniques should we be trying. We aren't used to fishing such clear and deep water. We are used to turbid, tidal water with "deep" being over 8 feet. Thanks in advance for the help.

The shallower side of Kezar will make you feel more at home. Moose Pond in Bridgton is good. Again, it has a deeper area and a shallower area that makes you mix it up.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
    The shallower side of Kezar will make you feel more at home. Moose Pond in Bridgton is good. Again, it has a deeper area and a shallower area that makes you mix it up.
    As far as the shallow end of Kezar goes, we haven't done as well as the deep end. Our theory is time of year is the cause. The vegetation is dead or mostly dead when we are there. Here, fish will move away from rotting vegetation, I assume to find higher oxygen levels. In Kezar, those shallow end fish would have to move a considerable distance, almost to the bridge. We assumed they would make that migration for winter and the dieing vegetation would signal the begining of that migration. We haven't fully explored the lower end in the area of the overflow, accepting the word of locals that that area was basically the same as the area to the right of the long rocky point. When we were there, water temps were still in the upper 50s and lower 60s, which we assumed would be great for the fall feeding increase. Please feel free to poke holes in our southern tidal based thoughts. We are questioning the timing of our trips, thinking earlier? Hopefully, better electronics will allow us to find some offshore humps with fish next year. Lastly, we were drawn to Kezar based on Bassmaster's top 100 lakes of several years ago. I see it is no longer included. Hence the question about other lakes in the area.

I have a camp on Long Lake in Bridgton. I fish Long only during the week because the ramp in Harrison is a zoo on the weekends. The fishing isn't bad, but it takes a while to figure the place out. Cape Monday is one of the better areas. Highland Lake in Bridgton is a hidden gem. I catch numbers and size there and rarely see another bass boat.

Ranger Z521 Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    I would fish Thomas Pond, Panther Pond, Parker Pond & Pleasant Lake all of which are off of Rte 302
    Last edited by Riley-Maine; 03-12-2019 at 08:57 AM.

6. Member
    Panther Pond is good or was good last time I was there.
    Red Sox in 6!

7. Member
    Timmy Horton's show was from Panther Pond a couple weeks ago. He got into the smallies pretty good.

8. Member
    Thanks guys. This is great stuff. Please don't stop now, keep the info coming.

Quote Originally Posted by motobuffy View Post
    Thanks guys. This is great stuff. Please don't stop now, keep the info coming.
    Just come up to a rally in June and the guys will take you all over the place. We stay in East Winthrop, which is a ways north of the Sebago area, but not that far. There are 30 more lakes and ponds up there, at least. Including China Lake, a legit Top 100 lake. The Belgrade’s, including Great Pond, are awesome as well as several even closer to Lake Cobbossee, which is where we stay.

10. Member
    Probably the best lake for largemouth maybe in the state is little sebago nice launch and can always get out of the wind it’s got it all weeds , rocks ,wood and BIG fish

11. Member
    Jim,if he comes up take him to the lake where you caught 2 or 3 just trolling away from the ramp!
    Red Sox in 6!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley-Maine View Post
    I would fish Thomas Pond, Panther Pond, Parker Pond & Pleasant Lake all of which are off of Rte 302
    What is the condition of the launching ramps at these lakes? The reason I ask as I have skinned up the pad on my boat at Peabody pond a couple years ago. don't want to do that again.

Add Highland, Little Sebago, and Long lakes to the ramp question. Thanks again.

the ramp at Parker pond could be a lot better, but if you have a small boat you should be ok.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

Ramps are good at Highland, Long Lake and Little Sebago as far as I know.

Single wide ramp on Long Lake in Harrison. Good condition and a tie up dock. Very busy on the weekends. Double wide on Highland with a tie up dock, also in very good condition.

Forgot to mention that there is a boat wash station on Highland Lake across the street from the ramp. If you go there on a weekend sometimes the idiots who go to the beach will park right at the entrance or exit to the wash area making it difficult to get through. Make sure you can get out before you pull in.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by motobuffy View Post
    What is the condition of the launching ramps at these lakes? The reason I ask as I have skinned up the pad on my boat at Peabody pond a couple years ago. don't want to do that again.

Add Highland, Little Sebago, and Long lakes to the ramp question. Thanks again.
    Parker Pond & Pleasant Lake are good; Thomas Pond is rough but worth the effort. Panther is tough also but you can put in on Crescent Lake without issue then access Panther Pod via the river.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basscatfrank View Post
    I have a camp on Long Lake in Bridgton. I fish Long only during the week because the ramp in Harrison is a zoo on the weekends. The fishing isn't bad, but it takes a while to figure the place out. Cape Monday is one of the better areas. Highland Lake in Bridgton is a hidden gem. I catch numbers and size there and rarely see another bass boat.
    I have a place in Harrison on Long lake, I think the fishing has gotten worse in the last few years, my son and I have fished Cape Monday many times, few small smallmouth but that's about it, caught a lot of shiners? near the little island as you head into Cape Monday on the left seems like a deep spot, few big unmarked rocks out just off the island as well. Would be interested in learning more about other nearby lakes as well.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yanknbass View Post
    the ramp at Parker pond could be a lot better, but if you have a small boat you should be ok.
    Been fishing Parker Pond since i was 8 or 9 years old with my father....Great Smallmouth fishing!!

Quote Originally Posted by MacCTD View Post
    I have a place in Harrison on Long lake, I think the fishing has gotten worse in the last few years, my son and I have fished Cape Monday many times, few small smallmouth but that's about it, caught a lot of shiners? near the little island as you head into Cape Monday on the left seems like a deep spot, few big unmarked rocks out just off the island as well. Would be interested in learning more about other nearby lakes as well.
    They have pike in that lake ... seems all the lakes that ended up with pike in then have declined .. I do my part to help rid the lakes of them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast