Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

150 Pro XS 2019 - Rt198p

150 XS SN 2B651441
    I received 2019 Rt198p 3/8/19, broke in motor per manual and dealer instructions.
    My motor with 4” Atlas Hydraulic Jackplate “all the down” has my prop to pad about 2”!
    23” Tempest hits 6000 rpms before full trim for an attempt of wot.
    The motor is 4/5” high on the boat with jp full down.
    The jp can not be lifted at all while running or blow out happens.
    Its like the motor is setup on jp way to high.
    I only have one hole left on motor to lower it too.
    Top speed during 3 rd hour was 53 but I could not go full trim or I will exceed 6000 rpms.
    I quickly backed off throttle so not to exceed 6000 rpms.
    I would expect high 50s at like 5800 rpms
    I feel like taking jp off and set motor to prop to pad about 3 1/2”!!
    Need advice in big way! I plan to call dealer today but I don’t know what he will say about how motor by Ranger.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    This is a Fourstroke Engine, it goes in the Fourstroke Forum.

I'll move the thread for you.

Have you asked your selling dealer why the engine is mounted so high?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

He called Ranger, got info and dropped jackplate 3” and motor additional 1”.
    I now have good jp movement. Ranger set jp way to high.
    So I’ll know tomorrow the improvement

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Maybe those numbers are backwards? It's quite hard to drop an Atlas Jackplate (mounting position anyway) by 3" (has only 3 sets of holes).

Either way- glad it got taken care of. Amazing that a dealer let that out their door...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks. More to story. Jp still needs to be dropped. But I’m 90% ok with it now.

Don, first post has my SN.

Dealer said he dropped the jp 3 holes and motor to top hole. I’m at 3 1/2” prop to pad with with jp down!
    He could not go down any more because if trim motor out, the
    hydralic steering unit would hit splash well. He is right on that.
    I’m ordering a spare prop, I’m going to 24” tempest. I don’t like running 6300 rpms or is high r safe for motor.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You're likely NOT running 6300... suspect you're getting that from an Analog Gauge, which are notoriously inaccurate.

Jackplate only has three holes to mount with... look up in there and make sure the plate is mounted with bolts in the top hole (at transom). No open holes above the bolts.

jp - bolt now in top hole
    Motor - bolt now in top hole
    pad to middle prop 3 3/4-4” ish now , was in the 2” ish with jp 100% down
    Field test - factory tach 6300r
    - 57.4 on gps
    - 23” Tempest +
    - bow lift is ok, nothing like my 374v was
    I need spare prop anyway, dealer making deal with a 24”.
    I’ll let you know any differences couple days.

150 Pro XS 4s, very responsive motor.
    Thanks for help, not depressed now!
    Last edited by BR374; 03-13-2019 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Added jp down 100%

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Really would be good to know what your ACTUAL RPM's are (Smartcraft), as it is critical that the engine be propped to the correct RPM's. 6300 is unlikely as it really should be in Guardian by that point (limiting available power).

Increasing pitch would lower the RPM's... the question is "Do they really NEED to be lowered"?

Increasing pitch will likely give you less holeshot- keep this in mind as you're working with the setup.

Sounds like they've got you about as low as you can get in the provided holes.

I can’t afford a 24” prop now, Ranger put the 23” on they should know by now what pro goes a boat anyway. For now, I’ll just will not exceed 6000 range limit using boat tach.
    Last question: suppose my tach IS correct will occasionally running 300 rpms over the 6000 limit damage my motor?
    or trust the motor rpm limiter and run it wot sometimes?
    I’m 65, I rarely run over 55 anyway,

11. Member
    Engine Guardian will NOT allow your engine to exceed max WOT rpm which is 6000. Your analog tach is not accurate, if it was, engine Guardian would have activated and reduced power to prevent over rev just as Don stated above.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Don,
    you got to be correct on tach not being accurate.
    I bought a 24” temp. + vs the 23” and went from 54 mph to 57 mph which is great! I said 57 with with 23” before but it was 54mph. Sorry
    however instead of 6300 rpm I only went down to 6200 per tach.
    No blow out at take off now!
    now I have a brand new 23” temp + 100% clean prop as a spare! Only broke in motor with in open water 4 hrs.
    Bobby

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you caught that Vessel View Mobile deal that Mercury has on their website right now- you'd have a dependable RPM figure to work from.

Don't think you'll find any better deal in the Smartcraft world (new product) that what they're offering right now.

Thanks I’ll look.
    Is it worth dropping motor on jp 1/2”?
    that is all I have left to work with.
    Ill have to drill 4 additional holes in jp plate though and settle for 4” prop to pad.
    I’m not drilling 4 holes in boat transom.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I wouldn't touch another setting until you have something with definitive RPM data (something you can rely on being 100% accurate).

Then, and only then can we determine (from GPS Speed, RPM, and Water Pressure) what needs to happen.

Ok I’ll get started on that
    thanks.

17. Member
    You should repost this in the Tin Boats forum, lots of info there on these boats. Also hard to believe Ranger sent that boat out with motor mounted too high, I would expect analog tach was way off

Ok tin on tin boats

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Engine Guardian will NOT allow your engine to exceed max WOT rpm which is 6000. Your analog tach is not accurate, if it was, engine Guardian would have activated and reduced power to prevent over rev just as Don stated above.
    It should let it go over, by about 150 to 200 RPM. But probably not 300 over. My regular 150 four stroke doesn't rev more than 5950, rated to 5,800. That's a digital gauge.
    Last edited by Wave to Wave; 03-28-2019 at 08:38 PM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wave to Wave View Post
    It should let it go over, by about 1,500 to 2,000 RPM. But probably not 3k over. My regular 150 four stroke doesn't rev more than 5950, rated to 5,800. That's a digital gauge.
    This is Dead Wrong!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast