Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Minn kota prop stuck

Trying to swap out my prop on my ultrex but the prop wont come off. Ive tried everything i can think of to get it off..Im sure the pin got twisted. Any tricks on getting it off???

2. Member
    Get a new pin, a prop, and a hacksaw.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix 920 Pro XP View Post
    Trying to swap out my prop on my ultrex but the prop wont come off. Ive tried everything i can think of to get it off..Im sure the pin got twisted. Any tricks on getting it off???
    First have a new prop and pin ready. Get a hammer and try to beat on the blades from the back side. Hit one the the other. If that don't work then get a hacksaw and cut it off. I have don a few like that.

4. Member
    Call Minn Kota before you get all cave man! That motor shaft will bend. Bob

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Call Minn Kota before you get all cave man! That motor shaft will bend. Bob
    Please explain? Never bent a shaft taking a prop off. If you hit it side to side I would expect you to bend it. If you hit the back side of the blades one at a time it should work it's way out. Most of the time it will. If that don't work then you have to cut it off.

6. Member
    I was thinking of cutting it off was going to be solution

7. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    First have a new prop and pin ready. Get a hammer and try to beat on the blades from the back side. Hit one the the other. If that don't work then get a hacksaw and cut it off. I have don a few like that.
    Preferably a 12oz trim hammer, not a 21oz framing hammer.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Member
    Bradrodfish, That was a caution. Your description sounded like it could be very violent. I have seen bent shafts on trolling motors. Some people are not as gentle as others. Bob
    Tap on it rather than beat on it would have scared me less
    Last edited by bobcoy; 03-11-2019 at 11:06 AM.

9. Member
    Bradrodfish, That was a caution. Your description sounded like it could be very violent. I have seen bent shafts on trolling motors. Some people are not as gentle as others. Bob
    Tap on it rather than beat on it would have scared me less
    I will agree to disagree.
    Whatever works for the individual. Usually when this happens it is a bent pin. Tapping will only make noise. Beating will get off. LOL

Go to Harbor Freight and get a GEAR PULLER. It will have three legs that "Hook" over the back side of the blade and a center bolt that goes over the prop shaft. Turn the bolt by 1/4 turns and tap the end after each turn. You may have to drill a hole in the blade to get the hook in, but it will come off without damaging the prop shaft.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Go to Harbor Freight and get a GEAR PULLER. It will have three legs that "Hook" over the back side of the blade and a center bolt that goes over the prop shaft. Turn the bolt by 1/4 turns and tap the end after each turn. You may have to drill a hole in the blade to get the hook in, but it will come off without damaging the prop shaft.
    If you drill holes in the blade, it's ruined anyhow. The threads on the end of the prop shaft are fine, they should stick out past the surface of the prop, and a gear puller could slip and damage them. Just bite the bullet, save yourself a trip to the store. Cut it off carefully if moderate non-destructive methods fail.
    If you use a puller, install a steel nut flush with the end of the shaft to protect the threads.

12. Member
    I pulled one off with a cheap gear puller when I bent the shear pin so bad it wouldn’t come off. Replaced the prop and shear pin and was good to go. I loosened up the nut on the shaft but left it on to push against.

13. Member
    On those that are stuck, I use a ball peen hammer and hit, not tap, the blades from the back side. Most of the times when it's stuck that bad, the shear pin has cut into the prop and needs a new prop anyway and you'll have to cut the shear pin to get it out, so if you do break a blade on a bad prop, no biggee. I've done this for years and have not bent a prop shaft doing it. The puller idea doesn't work because the prop fits so close to the housing there is not place to put the puller jaws.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    On those that are stuck, I use a ball peen hammer and hit, not tap, the blades from the back side. Most of the times when it's stuck that bad, the shear pin has cut into the prop and needs a new prop anyway and you'll have to cut the shear pin to get it out, so if you do break a blade on a bad prop, no biggee. I've done this for years and have not bent a prop shaft doing it. The puller idea doesn't work because the prop fits so close to the housing there is not place to put the puller jaws.
    John
    Thanks John
    At least we have something in common. We hit not tap.

15. Member
    I have to yield to the experts. Perhaps I put too much meaning to the words. My perception of BEAT- Hit- and tap are all different. A mechanic knows how hard to do it. Some others not so much. Bob

16. Member
    I have to yield to the experts. Perhaps I put too much meaning to the words. My perception of BEAT- Hit- and tap are all different. A mechanic knows how hard to do it. Some others not so much. Bob
    Those have a specific meaning to mechanics. We use terms like "a RCH", and "two white knuckles and a grunt". If you hit something you need a BFH. If you tap it you use a screwdriver. Speaking of screwdrivers, we used to have a saying, "Don't stir your coffee with a screwdriver, use a pen. You have to wipe a screwdriver off".
    Now BEAT is Greek to me.

17. Member
    I am familiar with all those terms. Not auto mechanic but have been working mechanical stuff since the 60's, a couple of those can be a bit embarrasing if a kid or woman asks for an explanation. Bob

18. Member
    I have the same problem with a stuck prop. Hitting the blades hasn’t worked. I hate to sound stupid but I guess it comes naturally anyhow...where/how is the best place to cut to get it off?
    hanks

19. Member
    Just to the outside of the shaft. Try to cut as straight as possible and when you get about a 1/2 inch from the motor housing stop and use a chisel to open the cut. It is a little time consuming but it is best to take your time so as to not damage the prop shaft of the motor housing.

20. Moderator
    Are you envisioning a 5lb sledge hammer or something?

I would use a rubber mallet and tap progressively harder on each side of the prop until I get some movement. That way you don't hit it too hard -- only hard enough to get the job done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast