Thread: what happened?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I hooked up Friday night before the tournament, drove it to get gas, and left it hooked up. I would have saw it being bent that bad, or at least I hope I would. Left out Saturday morning and fished all day. When I went to take it off Saturday evening that's when I noticed it catching, and when it came off the ball I noticed it. Hell I couldn't miss it lol. I emailed Reese today if I don't here anything I may call them tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner1_us View Post
    I hooked up Friday night before the tournament, drove it to get gas, and left it hooked up. I would have saw it being bent that bad, or at least I hope I would. Left out Saturday morning and fished all day. When I went to take it off Saturday evening that's when I noticed it catching, and when it came off the ball I noticed it. Hell I couldn't miss it lol. I emailed Reese today if I don't here anything I may call them tomorrow.
    Please let us know what they say.

3. mikesxpress
    Reese is going to ask WTF happened.
    If you wanted to get technical as it relates to the Reese/stabber itself take a know "good" stabber and your bent one to a reputable high end machine shop and have them check the brinell hardness of both. They can do that in just a few minutes.

If the hitch was hit that hard by someone/something enough to bend that down that far, most likely the retaining pin in the hitch is also bent as the momentum was forward? I would also be looking at the hitch bracket mechanical attachment points to the truck and the hitch side plate welds.

4. Member
    Thanks for coming back and posting again. It seems it for sure was straight when you hooked up trailer, then when you unhitched (after sitting in parking lot with just trailer connected) you found the bent hitch. WOW!! I'm with the rest - amazing. Just keep us posted to what manuf says.

Ken H>

5. Member
    A friend of mine had one of these break off, flipped his boat. I always use a forged solid ball mount. A little pricey but they are worth it.

6. Member
    First of all, what kind of boat was it?

7. Banned
    I'd say it happened before you hooked the boat up... Another good reason to never leave the hitch in the receiver... Forces you to inspect everything when you take it out and put it back in... Dan

8. mikesxpress
    I never take the stabber out. That's my rear end protector. It's taken out a Tarus and a Caprice over the years with only a bit of paint left on the treads. No truck damage.

9. Member
    If someone backed into you hard enough to bend it that bad, you would have more damage to the hitch or vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by chuckhb View Post
    A friend of mine had one of these break off, flipped his boat. I always use a forged solid ball mount. A little pricey but they are worth it.

I only buy buy mine from a hitch place in town. $20 for the ball, but in 40 years I have never had a problem, I let them install it on the receiver, never had one come loose either

11. Member
    I have a Nitro 901 CDX. I took my the one off my old truck(Reese too) and have pulled my boat every where without issue. I Emailed Reese a few times with no return contact. I got worried because my original trailer had rusted out and recently purchased a new z19 trailer, seemed like a good fit for my boat. I started thinking crap maybe there is too much tongue weight. I ended up weighing my tongue weight,and although more than it prob should be (380ish) it shouldnt have bent it that bad. I really dont think anyone hit me, just thinking i got a bad one.

I'd hate to see the guy's shin that did that.
    Kyle Frick
    FrickerDude
    Frick-N-Fishin' Baits

13. Member
    Nobody backed into him, he says it was fine when he hooked it up and he noticed it bent when he unhooked the trailer. If someone backed into him it would have been with the trailer on and the trailer would have damage.

Somebody hit you !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

If you hooked it up at night, in the dark, and was in a hurry you may not have seen it especially if you didn't look at it from the side. I hook mine up a lot in the dark. Sometimes I hit the truck's remote to turn on the BU lights, sometimes not. I know I probably would not have seen that at 5 am or the night before.

I keep my bar and ball on almost all the time...or at least one of them. Been "bumped" a couple of times.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 250 View Post
    If someone backed into you hard enough to bend it that bad, you would have more damage to the hitch or vehicle
    That's my thought as well. I'd take it to a body shop and have them look it over. My son was rear ended a few weeks ago and while it bent the hitch, the drawbar was fine.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinSteve View Post
    I did that to one that I had for years. In Dumbass (Dumas) Arkansas, when water got low on ramp you'd fall off the ramp completely. Took putting Tundra in four wheel drive and romping on it to get trailer unstuck. Also bent where the leaf spring attaches to trailer. They've got a racket going down there. The ex sheriff stopped to let me know he was surprised i got it out with the axle still on it. They've got a pontoon boat with tools applied that they will use to help, for a fee of course....game and fish has another ramp very close to this one and they let the game and fish fix it.

hitch.jpg (1.87 MB)

I don't know why it spins pic upside down, on here and
    tiny pic
    With the air in your tires, with the boat off of the trailer, you can lift up the trailer with one hand when it is in the water. Raise up the trailer by hand, have someone pull the truck up the ramp until the trailer tires are back on the ramp. Then figure out how to load the boat.
    Voice of experience....

Xpress H-56 Yamaha 115

19. Member
    Late to the party here, but mine did the same thing last weekend. Wish I knew how to post a picture. Mine did it when a bearing went out. They sure don't make them like they use to

20. Member
    I first read this post a few weeks ago, just before driving from NC to AL for the Military Bass Tournament. When I arrived in AL, as I backed into my friends driveway he asked, "What the hell happened to your Hitch." After walking to the back of the truck, I noticed the exact same thing happened to me. I've been hauling with the same hitch for the last 3 years, but locally only. Driving through GA was like driving between the tracks on a train track. The truck and trailer bounced the entire way, and because of traffic you really couldn't slow down without causing a major back up. The time spent bouncing across the GA roads is the only thing I can think of that would cause this to happen. It was a Reese Hitch as well. I replaced it with the only one I could find, "Curt" ball mount. It brought me home without any problems.
    USAF Retired 1981-2004
    Police Detective Retired 2004-2022

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast