Thread: Small oil leak

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Small oil leak

Merc 250 pro xs s/n 2b110392. I have a small oil leak that's coming from the front left of motor if your facing the motors front. The oil line goes into the rear and it almost looks like a solenoid or something. Is this normal or something to worry about? The leak is very small like a drop per day.

2. Member
    Nm found it on here didn6 think it would be a common problem.

3. Member
    Oil Pump...….It should not be leaking.

4. Member
    It shouldn't be leaking but sadly it seems fairly common for them to be seeping a bit..... and will only get worse as time goes.
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Does sound like the oil pump from your description.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    very common just had mine replaced plan on over $500 you have to have a oil prime done even if you replace yourself.

7. Member
    Mine was leaking for over a year and some 50 hours. It finally got worse and I replaced it myself.

8. Member
    This a problem seems very common I am at 50hours on my 250 pro xs and have an oil leak.. any clue on what causes this?

9. Member
    this may have just helped me troubleshoot a small oil leak that I am having a hard time finding on mine....time to go d some more inspecting! Thanks guys.

10. Member
    It seems to be caused by an o-ring that is just a tad too thin. Over time it compresses and fails to seal, just barely. If it is in warranty or under an extended protection plan of some sort, by all means take it to a dealer. If you are adventurous you can search for the o-ring replacement threads here and replace it pretty easily. Otherwise it is a pretty expensive part to replace. If you are not very skilled, I would not try to open it up. Screwing this up can easily destroy your powerhead.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

11. Member
    yup oil pump everone i know thats had a opti has had to replace it did mine a few months ago then compressor a week later.

12. Member
    So i done the adventurous thing and replaced the oring with a tad bigger o ring after some careful measuring with dial calipers. Thought for sure problem was solved after it survived the oil prime without a drop of oil. Nope the brass sleeve was cracked. So small the only way i found it was with dye pentrate testing and using air and soap water. Not saying your 3 allens bolts are not a tad loose or the oring is not bad. Though if you do disemble the pump be sure and inspect the brass piston that goes in the magneto. I will add mercury dont reccomend the dissembling of the pump. It is considered a non serviceable part. After my own assesment of my own i kno why!
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

Ya mine leaked at 35hrs. I was just over my warranty time frame and fought like heck with Mercury on assistance and no go. So cost me $450 for pump from Mr. Don and installed it myself and another $50 for oil prime
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

Guess I'm the lucky one.
    Saw a drop of oil on one of the allen head screws after researching it on here. I (snugged) the screws 50 hours ago and have not detected a drop yet.

15. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    So how bad is it to run a motor that has a very slight oil leak? I noticed a small leak on mine as well yesterday, my mechanic is swamped and won't be able to see the Bost for quite awhile and I have a number of tournaments coming up. If I am going to blow the motor I will obviously not fish but if it's something that the motor can still perform fine for the time being I would like to fish. Thanks.
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

Quote Originally Posted by johnw91 View Post
    So how bad is it to run a motor that has a very slight oil leak? I noticed a small leak on mine as well yesterday, my mechanic is swamped and won't be able to see the Bost for quite awhile and I have a number of tournaments coming up. If I am going to blow the motor I will obviously not fish but if it's something that the motor can still perform fine for the time being I would like to fish. Thanks.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....396&highlight=

17. Member
    I think there's still PLENTY of motors out there leaking a bit of oil without issues... I know for mine.. i got no clue how long its been leaking but judging by the build up of oil i have it was more then just a season of run time....

I'd say your more then likely ok if the leak is minimal for the time being.... I kept a small cloth or something to pick up any oil drops and also makes it a little easier to see how much oil is actually leaking.

with that being said... there's never any guarantee if its ok or not... this just being all my opinion.... your going to get mixed answers on that Q for sure...
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

18. Member
    I would not keep a small cloth under the cowling, it can get caught in the belt, or sucked into the plenum.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I would not keep a small cloth under the cowling, it can get caught in the belt, or sucked into the plenum.

The plenum is sealed with the "top cap". and with how tight everything is in there. it would be quite some event for a cloth or what not to work its way up to the pulley... if its even possible.....as it sits under the pump and wiring all together.

but again everything comes with its own risks.... the Correct mercury thing to do would be to just drop the cash and replace it all together...

20. Member
    You would likely be astounded at the air turbulence under the cowl when that motor is running at WOT. That thing pumps a LOT of air in a short period of time. I would not want anything loose in there. There have been cases of the insulation being pulled off the inside of the cowl and ingested. Not to mention pieces of fan belt, or the belt cover when something is not aligned properly.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast