Thread: Jackson Mayfly

Question Jackson Mayfly

I sold my bass boat over a year ago, and I'm debating whether to buy another bass boat or just get a kayak instead. I've gotten back into fly fishing the past year and considering purchasing the Jackson Mayfly. I would also use it some for traditional fishing. Anyone here have one? Just wondering if it's a good kayak and any negatives it may have.

2. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Jackson is the tip of the spear when it comes to kayaks. The Mayfly looks like its designed to suit fly fisherman. Someone once said "demo, demo, demo" before you buy. Good luck and post pics of what you decide to get, it's time to go fishing!!

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

3. Member
    Look at the Nucanoe kayaks. Wide open deck would be great for fly fishing. I don't own the Nucanoe but have used a Frontier 12. So much room in them.

Definitely demo as many as you can, but I have to agree the NuCanoe line up is great for fly fishing! A big open deck is what you need, and the ability to stand easily. The Frontier 12 would be my choice...

https://www.nucanoe.com/nucanoe-frontier/

5. Member
    Thanks for the info, everyone. I still haven't decided for sure, but I think I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a Mayfly.

I've got a Mayfly and I'd like to tell you how it fishes but I can't I bought it last summer and then proceeded to work 60+ hours a week on the road until the snow hit. This spring I've still been on the road and getting the house/yard/toys squared away for another summer on the road.

i will tell you that the construction/finish on the boat is awesome and in crawling around on it I think the claims of "fly fishing friendly" are accurate. My plan is to use a cooler instead of the seat that came with it due to my knees going to he!! That should give me a leg up so to speak.

Im sure you've seen it but just in case you haven't Jackson product manager Damon Bumguard? Put out a very thorough review video of the boat.

It is a big wide heavy beast that is the only downside I've experienced since all I've done with it is move it around a couple times. Hopefully here in the next few weeks I'll have a chance to get it out.

7. Member
    The Jackson line is top of the line, for sure. I have a Coosa FD and the warranty department was great the few times I worked with them. I'm getting ready to put a Torqueedo on the back since my knees are getting arthritis and I like to tournament fish. Plus, I will have a triple redundant propulsion- motor, pedal and paddle). That is a possible compromise you could do for the Mayfly (or any kayak) as well to get more range.

8. Member
    I just bought a Jackson Liska and love it, however that nucanoe is a sweet rig that is motor/trolling motor ready......

9. Member
    If you are near Hot asprings, you’re welcome to try out any of my kayaks. We have

Jackson Tupelo 12.5 (fast sit inside kayak)
    Jackon Tripper 12 (budget version of the Kilroy)
    Hobie Outback (pedal drive)

I have yet to find a paddle kayak that I like better for fishing than the Tripper 12/Kilroy. I previously had a Native Slayer 10 pedal kayak, the Hobie is worlds better.

Another one one you ought to take a look at is the Old Town Topwater PDL, or Predator PDL. The pedal drive on these was designed by Minn Kota engineers.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

10. Member
    Definitely look at Nucanoe before you buy, I have the Frontier 12 and enjoy it a lot more than the Jackson kayaks I have had. Since you’re coming from a boat the ease of adding either a gas motor or trolling motor to them may be something to consider. I have a 55# trolling motor on mine and its great when fishing large bodies of water or long days on the water.

11. Member
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I finally pulled the trigger and bought a new Mayfly the other day. I took it down to the lake this week just to put it in the water and I was impressed with the stability. I even caught a bluegill on a fly rod in the short time I was out. I'm hoping to get it on the river before too long and do some trout fishing.

Congrats! Just out of curiosity, were you fly fishing standing up?...or seated?
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

13. Member
    Congratulations, I know a few guys here around Hot Springs that have sold their big boats after getting into kayak fishing.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
    Congrats! Just out of curiosity, were you fly fishing standing up?...or seated?
    I was sitting down while I was fishing, but I did stand up just to see how the stability was. I'm not the most nimble person, but I didn't fall in, so I was happy with that. I'm sure after I get a little more experience I'll be able to fly fish standing up.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    Congratulations, I know a few guys here around Hot Springs that have sold their big boats after getting into kayak fishing.
    Thanks. I'm still on the fence about buying another bass boat. I've owned several and the last one was not a great experience due to multiple engine issues. I ended up taking a 10K bath on it when I finally sold it. I may just stick to kayaks, although, for lake fishing I would get a pedal version. The new Hobie 360 has me intrigued...

I have the YakAttack Command Stand Assist Bar. I highly recommend it. Easy to store and deploy while fishing and allows you to stand with ease.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin