Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking at 618 pro

I’m currently in a Nitro z7 but I’m am in the market for a new ride if the buyer comes through with that being said I have been looking into some used 618 pro .... any insight how they compare to my z7 and what are some pros and cons .. deck size, ride,etc all help would be appreciated

2. Member
    I've not riden in a Z7 or seen one in a long time. I did look at whatever Basspro called the Z7 in 2014 when I bought my Phoenix. I did not feel I needed to ride or decide because the build of the Phoenix was far better. Latches, build out of the boxes on the back deck. Just no comparison and I was not a boat expert. Did not need to be to see the difference. I had a spreadsheet looking at costs and I needed to put like $5K into the Basspro model to get it stock with phoenix. I don't mean to bash the Z7 as I can only speak to what I saw and a feature comparison..

The 618 has been great to me. Few issues with the trailer but boat is golden. Handles rough water great for a 18ft class boat. Handles it as well as my 1995 Ranger 19'6 or better. Stable when TM is down. Same build and cockpit as bigger birds. I have the single console and would not want the duel in this size boat.

Boat is not the widest in the nose. I think this helps with a great ride. I've made a few behavioral changes of putting rods down only on driver side so the width does not bother me.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

3. Member
    My z7 has been great but I like the little things Phoenix put in the boat just seems to be built very well .... what kinda price range would I be looking at for a 618 pro w/ 175 ??

4. Member
    Electronics and such can make a big difference but I would think your in the low to mid-40's. You might get the 819 for only a few thousand more. For me the 819 is about fit in my garage and weight on single axle tires. I have replaced tires on even my 618 with Load D tires.
    2024 Phoenix 818

5. Member
    yeah i have seen some in the 33-36k range but didnt know how the market was right now with them. Really am interested in finding one that fits what im looking for.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassMann_2 View Post
    yeah i have seen some in the 33-36k range but didnt know how the market was right now with them. Really am interested in finding one that fits what im looking for.
    if you can get a new one for $36K you are getting a steal.
    2024 Phoenix 818

7. Member
    Not New used is where im getting that price! ive been reading some on the 618 and im a little worried that the front deck might be to small? should i be worried about this?

8. Member
    well, how much does one worry about 2 to 4 inches???? I think the 518 ranger at my purchase time might have been 3 inches wider. Here is what I do.

- I keep my 4 core plastic and jig rods in driver side locker. I pull them out at the start of each day and lay them on driver side. I keep 10 to 12 rigs in my formal passenger side rod locker. I pull out what I need but rarely more then 2, put those on driver side.

- never do I put rods on passenger side. 2 advantages- I have the entire passanger side to walk around. 2- no clutter over my rod locker keeping me from quickly getting rods in or out

works for me, your mileage could vary
    2024 Phoenix 818

9. Member
    Im just wondering how the deck compares to my z7 which i feel has a huge deck for that size boat

10. Member
    We have a spec sticky. You can get measurements and compare
    2024 Phoenix 818

11. Member
    The 618 does have a good ride (can't compare to the Z7 as I have never been in one). Davidsa assessment is pretty spot on. It is a little narrower at the very front of the deck but I just put the rods a little further back, part of the tips over the consoles. This usually gives me enough room even with 4 on each side, I always have the butt seat in but have bought a smaller seat so it is easier to move around. I have the dual console and it is not too bad, would give more without it though.

Very well built boat, solid, no rattles or creaks when in rough water. Took a pretty good shot to the motor while on the my lift, move it a few feet forward when a dock broke loose and hit mine during a storm but didn't do any damage. Storage room is amazing for a boat this size as well

12. Member
    the phoenix is still in play i like the build of them just want to get in one and see how it compares

13. Member
    I have owned a Z7, and have been in a friend's 618. Yes, the geometry is different, and you will likely have to change how you stand at the trolling motor pedal just a little. That's an adjustment that everyone has to deal with when changing boats.
    While you do lose a few inches of width at the TM pedal, you actually gain a few inches in length of the front deck. The cockpit is the same size as the larger models, so the seats are more comfortable, and feel more natural to sit at than the Z7 (I'm 6'2").
    As mentioned above, you should probably determine what your storage and budget will allow before deciding on a manufacturer. In these days, I don't think you can go wrong. If you have been pleased with the Nitro, you won't be disappointed in the Phoenix or any other manufacturer (not bashing Nitro, just my opinion from experience).
    I have the 819, and the only difference that I've noticed between the two is a couple inches wider at the front seat post, and a larger back deck. If I had a garage like my last house, I would be looking hard at the 618. My friend's is a 2016 with a 175, and I'm very impressed with the ride and top end. It will smoke a Z7.
    2015 Phoenix 819

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSU Fishing View Post
    I have owned a Z7, and have been in a friend's 618. Yes, the geometry is different, and you will likely have to change how you stand at the trolling motor pedal just a little. That's an adjustment that everyone has to deal with when changing boats.
    While you do lose a few inches of width at the TM pedal, you actually gain a few inches in length of the front deck. The cockpit is the same size as the larger models, so the seats are more comfortable, and feel more natural to sit at than the Z7 (I'm 6'2").
    As mentioned above, you should probably determine what your storage and budget will allow before deciding on a manufacturer. In these days, I don't think you can go wrong. If you have been pleased with the Nitro, you won't be disappointed in the Phoenix or any other manufacturer (not bashing Nitro, just my opinion from experience).
    I have the 819, and the only difference that I've noticed between the two is a couple inches wider at the front seat post, and a larger back deck. If I had a garage like my last house, I would be looking hard at the 618. My friend's is a 2016 with a 175, and I'm very impressed with the ride and top end. It will smoke a Z7.

thanks for the input yeah I would love to go to a bigger boat but my garage says different the 618 is my top choice right now I’m looking at some like new used 618 so hoping to pull the trigger soon if i can find the right one my z7 should be gone this weekend and I don’t want to be without a boat for long so we will see!!!

15. Member
    When I was researching boats (Triton 18XS, Ranger 518, Phoenix 618) I ruled out the Phoenix becuase of the very narrow bow. That area is just too critical in my fishing to be so narrow. Other than the narrow bow I thought the Phoenix was a fine boat. Make sure you get into a 618 so you can evaluate that narrow bow. I was lucky because back in 2014, my local dealer had both the Phoenix and Triton in stock so I could do direct comparisons.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

16. Member
    I’ve heard that it is narrow at the bow but is the whole front deck narrow or just around the trolling motor?

17. Member
    Don't quote me but at the butt seat the Ranger was either 3 or 4 inches wider in 2014. Further, the Ranger was wider then the Triton. My dealer had the bird, skeeter and Triton. The ranger was a different dealer. As I said, you have to decide if 4 inches makes a world of difference. Get a tape measure and go to town in all the boats. they are all good.

Overall layout is why I bough bird over Ranger
    2024 Phoenix 818

18. Member
    Can the rod locker hold an 8 foot rod on the 618 ? Or do you have to take the tubes out ? Curious about the tackle storage also, any pictures of 618 owners tackle storage setup ? Thanks

19. Member
    I put 7'9 in my tubes regularly. fit great. I put a 8ft stick it pin in mine once and that was tough. bending the rod enough to get it in the lip of the locker the challenge. I think the tube was fine.
    2024 Phoenix 818

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter1987 View Post
    Can the rod locker hold an 8 foot rod on the 618 ? Or do you have to take the tubes out ? Curious about the tackle storage also, any pictures of 618 owners tackle storage setup ? Thanks
    still have room under the deck for stuff I don't need too often
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast