Do It Mold Hooks

I bought a Do It Mold swim jig mold (model FBB-6-SWG) and yesterday made my first jigs. When I bought the mold I bought Eagle Claw hooks (style L098BP) versus Mustad (style 38104BLN). I can get 50 Eagle Claw 4/0 hooks for $8,45 or 50 Mustad 4/0 hooks for $19.99. When I looked at the Eagle Claw hook it looked like a sturdy hook, however I really do not know much about hooks. Is Mustad hooks that much better than Eagle Claw? What hooks do you use with Do It Molds.

2. Member
    Mustad used to be a great hook. They reportedly outsourced to China and the quality went down. I've switched to a lot of Eagle Claw hooks in the last few years and am satisfied. Look at Captain's Hooks you may be able to get better prices.

I use Mustad hooks almost exclusively on my jigs and haven't had a problem.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Check out VMC hooks, also. I like them better than Mustad and Eagle Claw.

5. Member
    Vmc or owner for me personally. I do have customers request eagle claws and they seem much better than they were.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

6. Member
    The newer Eagle Claw black platinum series hooks are really good, in fact I use them more than Mustad anymore. They came out when Eagle Claw revamped the line after they inroduced the Trokar brand.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    Mustad used to be a great hook. They reportedly outsourced to China and the quality went down.
    I was told by a very reputable tackle manufacturer that Mustad now has a generic chinese hook. A local jig company known all over the US that lots of us fish is now using them & the hooks will rust pretty quick too. Thankfully my jig guy won't use them & i've never had one to rust.

8. Member
    There's a reason Mustad hooks are cheap.

9. Member
    I'll second Jig Man and Smalljaw67. I try to use Eagle Claw hooks whenever possible. Mustad went to China and Eagle Claw is USA made. Also ever since Eagle Claw revamped their hook line several years ago, their hooks are better than ever, plus they cost less than Mustads.

The newest Eagle Claws are great.... But I did get a bad batch of a thousand. They were swapped out for me.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

11. Member
    Finishing up with my Mustads and switching to Gammi. Haven't had issues with Mustad, just have more faith with Gammi when money is on the line. It's all a personal preference really.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fencepanda View Post
    Finishing up with my Mustads and switching to Gammi. Haven't had issues with Mustad, just have more faith with Gammi when money is on the line. It's all a personal preference really.
    You switched to a completely different hook point. Gamakatsu makes a cutting point hook as does Owner and Trokar. Mustad makes a needle point hook as does Eagle Claw and VMC, so if you know when to use one over the other it will make your fishing better. On spinnerbaits and swim jigs I'll bet you a million dollars I'll lose far fewer fish on a Mustad, Eagle Claw, or VMC than I will with a Gamakatsu, Owner, or Trokar. Cutting points on moving baits have a tendency to cut large holes in the fleshy part of a fishes mouth and when they head shake the hook often falls out of that hole. The cutting points do well on baits that the fish often get hooked in the roof of the mouth or the boney areas, they penetrate easier but when a bait is moving they often are swiping at it and the hooked area is off to the side and it ends up in the soft spot. Learn the difference and where one excels over the other and you'll be in the money!!