Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disability upgraded.

Stopped by the the County VA office and talked with the rep. I was at 60%. He looked over my old claim and asked how my diabetic neuropathy was doing because it's been five years. I told him that the VA increased my med dosage and my feet are acting up. Also told him I could now feel it in my arms and hands. We put in a new claim. Fast response from the VA. They sent me to a civilian examiner. He asked a bunch of questions and hooked me up to some wires on my legs and ran some test. Never tested my hands or arms. Claim was approved at 100% total and permanent. They gave me the 40% with increase to the legs and added the arms and hands. I was shocked, that's a life changing event for us for sure. I'm writing this because I know lots of guys here have diabetic neuropathy and it might be worth talking to your rep. The whole claim only took three months. The VA sent me to a outfit called LHI, they contract to the VA for claim services. They seem to lean more toward the Vet. So, if any of you guys are having m ore issues with your nephropathy might be worth looking into it. Here in NC 100% means free vehicle registration, $45,000.00 off your home tax assessment, VA gives spouse free health care, get dental, life insurance option and a few other things plus a nice increase in dollar amount.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

2. Member
    That is great news Don. I'm glad it went well for you bud.
    Last edited by Skip; 03-11-2019 at 01:03 PM.

Congrats. That's probably about double your previous compensation amount.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

4. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
    Congrats. That's probably about double your previous compensation amount.
    It's actually quite a bit more than that.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

5. Member
    Don I was there in '66 to '67 at Chu Chi. Glad you made it home bud and glad you got that increase. You earned it.

6. Member
    I know the money will help. I put in for an increase since I got told my wrist is beyond repair last month. I am rated at 40% so I pay my own disability out of my pension. My rep told me even if I get the most for my wrist it won't get me over the concurrent hump. Thank goodness I don't have diabetes yet.

I get aggravated at the zero percent service connected ratings. I should have used a VSO in the beginning. My generation getting out and not knowing what to do is one of the reasons I've kept my part time job helping active military separate for 11+ years.

I opted not to get my wrist totally fused for now. My hand surgeon agreed it wasn't time since I can control the pain with meds and lifestyle choices. He did however tell me the day was coming that the pain would be so bad I'd beg him to do the surgery.

7. Member
    n2ratfishin I hope you can turn that decision around. Talk to a rep from one of the service organizations and see if they can help.

8. Member
    Skip I've used the local county office with a VSO for the last 10 years. About 12 years ago I really learned my lesson when I got popped for a 4,000 dollar over payment. I learned the hard way you can tell the VA & DEERS you got a divorce and it doesn't hit your paycheck. I didn't notice. I thought I had done all the right things. I found out when I started poking around with a VSO that VA Healthcare doesn't talk with VA C&P because of HIPAA Laws. Thankful I was in the financial situation then to stroke them a check and call it a lesson learned. What I described with the divorce and overpayment happens all the time. They just take it back out of checks.

The extreme suck was that all that supposed "overpayment" was taken out of my Air Force pension. I've never understood why I owed a darn thing back, maybe the tax benefit? That would be peanuts.

Everyone has been telling me for years to redo my claim. I'm equal parts lazy and equal parts feeling like my rating is pretty accurate. I'm at 90%, but only because the sleep apnea is rated at 50%. Also have diabetes, but the neuropathy isn't bad enough to get me off my butt. I consider myself fortunate in that I've been able to manage it pretty well through diet and exercise for the last 10 years.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

10. Member
    1stindoor, get off your but and file again.

^^^Roger, I'll start working the claim. Thankfully I already work with the right people.
    2016 Nitro Z21

12. Member

13. Member
    I've got a claim pending right now. I should hear the results in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Congrats on getting your 100%.

14. Member
    Congratulations to you and as previously stated you earned it Sir. I get 10% for a hearing loss and have the Disability Card which helps.

Figured I would resurrect this thread, as I took the additionally prodding from Skip and actually started the process. Got the results last week, 100% P&T. Figure I'll see the compensation difference in Oct or Nov. Thanks Skip.
    2016 Nitro Z21

16. Member
    One of the guys I work with at Ft Campbell got his 100% last week as well. Maybe I should go see my VSO again when I get through this contracting mess? I'd be THRILLED with concurrent. Why the government set the limit at 50% for retirees paying their own service connected disabilities is beyond me. It has to clog up the system with generations going back for potential increases the requiring more providers, more leased space, and as we have seen now huge contracts for C&P providers and facilities.

Military retirees are the only group I know of that have their job related injuries taken out of their pensions. Makes zero sense.

Meanwhile I had three soldiers, clerks with two years in who were getting med boarded having a smoke in the hut complaining about only getting 80% disability for depression and PTSD and the guy I was talking with asked where they were deployed. All three told him they were never deployed. I had to grab him and walk him away LOL. Actually it wasn't funny at the time. I thought he was going to have a melt down since he was injured in theatre and was really trying to get better. I learned a long time ago there is ZERO justice in the rating system.

Congrats on the upgrade guys!
    Last edited by n2ratfishin; 09-06-2019 at 12:01 PM.

^^You're absolutely right. There is no rhyme or reason to the rating system. I've been working for the military along side that system for 6 years now...and I still can't make sense of a lot of it. It would make you sick to your stomach to know just how many Soldiers who are claiming BH and PTSD issues in order to game the ratings. I've lost count of the number of 20 something year olds claiming ED so that they can pick up an extra $100 from the VA. Hell in my 20's the only problem I had was keeping it in my pants.
    2016 Nitro Z21

18. Member
    Question for everyone. I am a vetern of Desert Storm/Desert Shield. When I got out I was young and stupid and did not and have not listed any complicaitons. About 3 years after I got out I came down with Diabeties and Sleep Apnea. Can someone please help me understand what I need to do. I did go about 5 years ago to the local VA here in clarksville, but they said since I didn't claim when I got out they could not do anything for me at this time. I know others have had issues from when they came home.

2015 Nitro Z-9
    Mercury 250 Pro-XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex MSI I-pilot link
    Humminbird 9 Mega SI at Console and Bow

KBusbee...thank you for your service. My best first advice would be to seek out a local VSO (Veteran Service Organization) like the VFW, DAV, AMVETs, etc. And ask one of their Service Officers to help you complete a claim. You can do everything yourself...but I would recommend using a VSO. I'm not sure what is available in your county but here is the contact information for your state:
    Tennessee Department of Veterans Services TDVS
    Office:
    Tennessee Department of Veterans Services
    Email: TN.Veterans@tn.gov
    Phone: 615-741-2931

I would recommend you find a copy of your DD214, any type of medical documentation, and barring that, anything else that might talk about your service record, i.e. awards, NCOERs/OERs, etc. Drawing a line between Diabetes and Sleep Apnea may be difficult and take time; but it can be done.

Are you registered with the VA?
    2016 Nitro Z21

Edited To Add:
    Here's your county guys, location, and phone numbers.
    https://mcgtn.org/vso

Veterans Service Organization
    350 Pageant Lane, Suite 308
    Clarksville, TN 37040
    (931) 553-5173/5174
    2016 Nitro Z21

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast