Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RT198p Purchase & Questions

I am finalizing my build on a new RT198P and I have a couple observations and questions. I just noticed that the 198P does not have a trim guage on the dash. I have always had a trim guage and was wondering why the omittion?

Anyone running the Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke Command Thrust on the 198P? I was wanting to save a few bucks to upgrade electronics and TM (Ultrex hopefully) and was curious about the 115 perfomance as opposed to the 150. I don't need to go 60 so top speed isn't a big deal. My current Stratos 176xt with the 70 Yamaha two stroke will only do 35mph so I would assusme the 115 would perform better than that and I'd be happy with the choice.

Also, any opinions on the in dash mounted electronics? Are they harder to see and is an alternative mounting method preferred?

Any other thoughts are welcome.

Thanks again for your opinions and experience!

2. Member
    I doubt you will see anything over 35 mph. It will be hard to sell when the time comes. I would spend a little more for a 150 hp, or get the RT188. Good luck.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

3. Member
    I get 42 with my mod-v crestliner with two people and a full load with my 115 pro xs 4 stroke, that 198p ought to do as well if not better
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

4. Banned
    Get the 150 and upgrade the electronics down the road. You are going to regret not getting the 150 and loose money when you upgrade. That money you loose would buy your electrics. I've "tried" to save money in the past and ended up spending more money buying what I should have done in the strat. It's your purchase just my two cents.

5. Member
    No way I'd put the 115 on a 198, you wanna save a bit drop to a 188 and be done with it....

6. Banned
    Yeah you want the boat to do what is was designed to do

7. Member
    The 188 is virtually identical to the 198 on top, the hull is the only major difference. If you're not going to optimize the pad hull with the bigger motor, then the 188 has a virtually identical deck and interior, so you will barely notice the difference between the two when you're fishing. !88s are great boats, if you're not concerned about going 60mph it's a better choice if you want to save some money for the nice extras.

8. Member
    Good advice.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jml View Post
    I doubt you will see anything over 35 mph. It will be hard to sell when the time comes. I would spend a little more for a 150 hp, or get the RT188. Good luck.
    I understand your point on the resale and not having the max HP, but I'm surprised at the performance expectations you talk about. I know I really don't fully understand the function of the pad hull other than it allowing for the increased HP, but I have seen multiple videos of the RT188 with the 115 with top end speeds in the mid 40's. The 198 only weighs 120lbs more so you're saying the pad hull will decrease the performance of the 115 that much? I appreciate all the info, I am learning a lot about the new boats!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelly View Post
    The 188 is virtually identical to the 198 on top, the hull is the only major difference. If you're not going to optimize the pad hull with the bigger motor, then the 188 has a virtually identical deck and interior, so you will barely notice the difference between the two when you're fishing. !88s are great boats, if you're not concerned about going 60mph it's a better choice if you want to save some money for the nice extras.
    Thanks for the info. I do like the little bit different layout of the 198 better, but I would agree that the hull is the biggest difference. But identically equipped the 198 is only $600 more. I have misunderstood the hull issue for sure because I was thinking the pad hull would not only allow for the larger HP but would also optimize the performance and handling of the 115. Hopefully someone can explain why that is not the case. All the info is much appreciated, thanks to everyone for the help, I'm glad I have asked these questions before purchasing!

11. Member
    My 188 usually runs around 43, saying 35 might be a little low on a 198. Get what boat you like.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strick9 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I do like the little bit different layout of the 198 better, but I would agree that the hull is the biggest difference. But identically equipped the 198 is only $600 more. I have misunderstood the hull issue for sure because I was thinking the pad hull would not only allow for the larger HP but would also optimize the performance and handling of the 115. Hopefully someone can explain why that is not the case. All the info is much appreciated, thanks to everyone for the help, I'm glad I have asked these questions before purchasing!
    Fair enough. I had no idea the pricing would be that close. Other than the potential difficulty in re-selling the boat, if you want to, get the one you prefer. I bet it would run mid forties at least with a 115.

13. Member
    Save up a little and get the 150. A 150 on a 198P makes for a nice ride.

I wish the 198p had been available in 2014, I definitely would have gone that way, with the 150.
    My boat does what I need it to, just doesn't run 60 like I had always told myself my next boat would, coming out of a 16'
    SeaArk with a 40....
    I would think you'd get 40- mid 40's with the 115 on the 198P, but would agree with the others , get the 150.

2014 Ranger RT188
    115 Merc 4s, laser II 20p
    humminbirds

15. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    Save up a little and get the 150. A 150 on a 198P makes for a nice ride.
    X2, or I'd drop down to the 188 w/ a 115HP.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

16. Member
    Thanks all, I appreciate the information and knowledge!! Got a couple more things to figure out, but I will let you all know what I decided on.

17. Member
    Well after a three month build wait and a trip back to the dealer to fix a crazy motor issue and a little oops at the dealer. I am a proud Ranger owner. I have finally had a chance to run the new boat for a few trips out and I could not be happier. I did get the 198 and the Mercury 115 Pro XS CT 4 stroke (sorry to the naysayers ) with a Tempest 21p s/s prop, no jack plate. It has far exceeded my expectations. It rides great and I easily got to 48mph after initial break in and was ecstatic, after playing with trim level once on plane I have since approached 51mph and ran out of lake to see how much more. Yes this is GPS speed with me all my gear and half a tank of gas. Love the way it fishes and getting the Ultrex instead of the 150 was well worth it to me. I did buy it to fish after all and having options and differing opinions is what makes this sport fun. I don't see any issues selling this boat around here if that time arises. I'm 62 years young and this should be my last boat purchase and I love it!!! Fish inland lakes pretty much exclusively and this fits my needs perfectly and then some!!

Thanks for all the input and I look forward to many years of enjoyment in my new rig!!

Ranger RT198P Pick Up Day.jpg

18. Member
    glad to see you're happy with your choice
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

19. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Congratulations and enjoy!!!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

20. Member
    Sounds like it runs good with the 115, enjoy your boat!

Mine still puts a smile on my face every time it drop the throttle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast