Verado Fuel filter confusion.... Am i crazy?

I was in the process of doing some routine maintenance on my Verado. 2017 250 pro: 2b411339. I bought the kit that included among other things a new fuel filter to replace the boat mounted one (8M0095659). I took the old one off of the exact same model number. But the ends are different. The new one has no way that I can tell to install the sensor. No threaded hole at all. I thought maybe the lip of this while painted and smooth might be designed to remove for certain applications but all i did was remove the paint from it. it looks like one piece to me. Very strange to me since both have the exact same model number. I confirmed this is the right part number from the Merc parts site as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I’m not sure about the new Verado filters but the old Optimax ones had a plug in the end of the filter that you needed to remove with an Allen wrench and then screw in the sensor. I didn’t even know this was a filter available on a Verado, mine has the cartridge.

I haven't changed mine yet but guess I'll be wondering the same.

4. Member
    The hole in the new one is perfectly round. It isnt for an allen wrench. From my view, it is a completely different filter with the same part number. I have the old one off and no way of attaching this one that i can see.

5. Banned
    Remove the plug from the bottom of your new filter and install your existing water-in-fuel sensor. If the Allen-head is stripped out, grab it with a set of Vise-Grips.

6. Member
    So that is a plug? I grabbed it with vice grips but may have needed to put more muscle behind it. I’ll try once more.

7. Member
    That was it. It was a plug. They had the plug in before they painted it and it looked like one piece. Thanks fellas. Saved me a trip

Quote Originally Posted by kybluediver View Post
    That was it. It was a plug. They had the plug in before they painted it and it looked like one piece. Thanks fellas. Saved me a trip
    Thanks for the info

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kybluediver View Post
    +1... Just removed one from the shelf and it's an allen-head plug.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor