z19 45" or 52" trolling motor

Ordering my Z19 next week. Wondering if I should upgrade to the 52"? Do you owners have issues with the TM coming out of the water in waves w/ the 45"?

thanks!!

2. Dogfish_Jones
    If you are going to fish big open waters go with a 52". Fishing most lakes and rivers you will not have any problems with a 45"

3. Banned
    I have a z18 and just put a 45" ultrex on. Fished 20+ mph winds today prop was coming out of water yet it held on spot lock with no problem.

4. Member
    I use a 45" on champlain even in big water it handles fine. That said, if you need to hold in 3 footers. buy a 52" LOL

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 802spinnerbait View Post
    I use a 45" on champlain even in big water it handles fine. That said, if you need to hold in 3 footers. buy a 52" LOL
    If fishing in 3 footers...need a bigger boat!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bqtoot View Post
    If fishing in 3 footers...need a bigger boat!
    And scuba gear

7. Member
    go with the 52 if you fish open water alot. My 52's have been too short several times on pickwick with water coming onto the front deck. When you're on fish it don't matter how rough it is as long as your tm will hold you.

8. Member
    I went with a 52 and wish I would have gone with 45. 52 sticks to far over side when stowed and is way to deep cause I fish shallow alot
    Dave
    2023 Ranger Z518/ Mercury 200 Pro XS

9. Member
    45 should be more than enough 90% of the time. You have to ask yourself if you’ll even be on the water the other 10% lol. Also would depend on how I fished too. If you’re targeting largies more in shallow water, I’d go 45. If you’re planning on spending most of your time in deeper water, the longer shaft may work out better for you.

I went with a 45 in my Ranger Z119 which I imagine would have a similar draft. Buddy of mine just ordered a Z20 and is going with a 45”.

10. Member
    the 52" frame is much large too and you don't get 7" of gain like you would think. Its more like 4".

11. Member
    Thanks guys. Ordered my new Z19 on Tuesday and went with the 45". I just can't see many opportunities here in the Ozarks to need the 52"....kinda like Power Poles in these parts but lots of guys sure have them