Is the New V8 Pro xs worth waiting for??

Hoping to get back in a Cat later this year or early next and weighing out the + & - of going new v/s used.
    Obviously not many used with new Merc’s, but likely will start showing up next year, but many out there with 2 strokes. The tax savings on a used rig are enticing given our 10.5% tax rate, which on a new boat adds $$$$.
    For those who run the, have you been impressed enough that it would be worth the wait for a V8 4 stroke?

I know it’s subjective, but no one I know around home has one yet to get more hands on. Any input appreciated.
    Last edited by cborne; 03-08-2019 at 06:40 PM.

2. Member
    Never ran one but for me it's worth the wait. That said, I've been very happy with my 2 stroke Merc it's just that I think the 4 stroke is the future. My $.02
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

3. Member
    Ran the 2 stroke on 2 other boats. Did blow the air compressor on 1, but otherwise no major complaints.
    Thanks!

It’s just a matter of choice... the fuel mileage is better on the 2 Stroke and some prefer the user experience. Others like the four stroke and are willing to get the new product.

We have no preference and some here are still running 2 strokes. Most issues on 2 strokes are coils, fuel deliver and gearcase. None of that changes no matter the powerhead. The only variable different is the air compressor mentioned.

5. Member
    Agree, no system is without flaw, I guess when the right situation presents, just have to be ready to roll with it, new or used. With the cost of outboards, I would hope overall reliability continues to improve. Water in the equation creates a few variables though. (As compared to car engines)
    thanks for the feedback

6. Member
    That air compressor has been a continuous issue for me, which also leads to bigger issues. Better ensure you have platinum.

7. Member
    I believe you are more interested in the difference in performance between the 2 engine types. From what I understand the performance advantage goes to the new
    4 stroke ProXs. I also believe as time goes on reliability will go to the 4 stroke.
    Buying a used boat from an individual in Louisiana under its tax law saves thousands as compared to new. Basically we pay tax on the value of the trailer only.
    If you want the 4 stroke, you may be waiting a while for a used BCB, but it also depends on the model your wanting. The 18-19 footers tend to stay with the owner much longer than the Puma, Cougar, or Eyra.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

8. Member
    Just stings to see 5-6k go to taxes when taxes on even a lightly used are minimal in comparison b/c of the tax laws.
    I think about the gear/upgrades 5-6k could get v/s the likelihood it will be misappropriated by government
    We are already taxed too dang much, but I guess they figure we gonna pay if we want to play

9. Member
    I would stay away from the Merc 2 Stroke 2018's due to the performance. Seems they detuned them again in 2018. I would look for 2017 or older with plat warranty remaining or wait till this fall when you will start seeing the 2019's used one's for sale. Given your tax rate, I would always buy used.. That is a lot of extra money. Good luck.

10. Member
    If my 2018 is de-tuned then I am impressed. Boat is an absolute beast, and can run 79+ in 60-120 degree heat. I decided to keep my 2018 for another year instead of jump on the new V8. The V8 is a monster, no doubt, and there is a giant price increase that goes with it and the new model years.

Quote Originally Posted by MengRanger View Post
    I would stay away from the Merc 2 Stroke 2018's due to the performance. Seems they detuned them again in 2018. I would look for 2017 or older with plat warranty remaining or wait till this fall when you will start seeing the 2019's used one's for sale. Given your tax rate, I would always buy used.. That is a lot of extra money. Good luck.
    2018 BassCat Eyra - 250Pro XS

11. Member
    I recently repowered my 08 cougar with a 4s after my compressor going out for the 2nd time and dropping a cylinder on my pro xs 2 stroke and I don't anyone could get me to give it up. I gained a few mph, but the hole shot and mid range is was really blew my mind

12. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MengRanger View Post
    This is true my 2018 was a DOG along with a ton of other people I know who buy new ones every year. I’m very satisfied with the new 4 stroke performance is great ....... I still don’t have it dialed in 100% prop wise tho
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

Not all are dogs and usually its in the propeller pitch and they are trying to swing a larger wheel than we would suggest.

14. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Not all are dogs and usually its in the propeller pitch and they are trying to swing a larger wheel than we would suggest.
    Went all the way down to a 25 four blade Fury. Tried several different worked props. Never could get that motor right. Neither could other people I talked with. Glad it’s gone
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cborne View Post
    Just stings to see 5-6k go to taxes when taxes on even a lightly used are minimal in comparison b/c of the tax laws.
    I think about the gear/upgrades 5-6k could get v/s the likelihood it will be misappropriated by government
    We are already taxed too dang much, but I guess they figure we gonna pay if we want to play
    Move to Alabama where sales taxes are 2.5% on boats (and automobiles.) Boats/trailers/outboards also have no ad valorem taxes like what kills the pockets of those in South Carolina.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittycat2012 View Post
    Went all the way down to a 25 four blade Fury. Tried several different worked props. Never could get that motor right. Neither could other people I talked with. Glad it’s gone
    Agreed, that is why I got rid of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterSteve View Post
    Agreed, that is why I got rid of mine.
    And there is your problem, should have use 25 3 blade prepped by Gilbert
    Thank You Leon Pugh

18. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    And there is your problem, should have use 25 3 blade prepped by Gilbert
    Ive Run more props by Ronnie than most. And a 25 3 blade was one of them. It wasn’t the prop it was the motor.
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittycat2012 View Post
    Ive Run more props by Ronnie than most. And a 25 3 blade was one of them. It wasn’t the prop it was the motor.
    Agreed. But to each there own. Just could never get out of the hole with tournament weight in the boat. But I am sure it works for some.