Thread: Pho

Pho

Thread a while back got me thinking and I finally decided to make it. I used this recipe but, as usual, I changed it to fit my taste.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/228443/authentic-pho/

I found beef ribs for $2/lb. Used a total of six, separated, and roasted in a 400* oven for an hour. Put in an onion, halved, in for the last 30 minutes. Doubled the spices though. Roasted them in my skillet first. Doubled the ginger. Used about a 3" piece, sliced. No fish sauce or salt.

To get the beef sliced super thin, put it in the freezer until it's almost frozen. You can shave it paper thin with a sharp knife.

Came out pretty good. I did run it through a fat separator to clean up the broth first.

This sauce is great for it!

Last edited by fr8dog; 03-08-2019 at 02:51 PM.

2. Member
    I want to try that eventually but I have my hands full with some other Indian dishes now. Im buying spices ive never used before lol.

3. Member
    MMMMMMM. That looks good! Never tried to make it at home. Will give it a shot soon.
    1994 Ranger 354V - Johnson Fast Strike 150

4. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Looks good

Made chicken yesterday. Easier because you just drop a whole bird into the pot to make the broth. I did use a new technique to clean the chicken. A tbsp of salt and rub it down to peel gunk off the skin. Kind of like sandpaper. Color actually changed. Rinse and dump in the pot.

I had no goji berries, shallots, or leeks. Sorry. I also pulled and tossed the skin off the bird and boiled the bones in a strainer after shredding the meat. You get the broth but don't have to pick bones out of it. Just makes it easier to clean after boiling it. Again, the broth went through the fat separator before the final simmer. Quicker than the beef, but damned good.

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/chicken-pho