Trolling motors, electronics and Jack plates.............

Ok.........where to start?
    I am seriously looking to upgrade my '16 Z119 with a hydraulic jackplate, trolling motor upgrade from a Fortrex and maybe electronics. Pretty much decided on the Ultrex and keeping the Fortrex as a spare. First question is whether to spend the extra dough and get the Link? I currently have 2 Lowrance Elite 7's and these will not work with all the features on the Ultrex and I would really like all the extras. When outfitting with new Humminbird electronics is the best way to go with a Mega SI & DI unit on the dash and just a Mega DI on the front? Just looking for any input.

Thank You!

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I plan on getting a hydro plate in the future and when i do it will be a Bob's plate........as for TM, Lowrance will have one and from the talks, Motor Guide will have a new one like the Ultrex coming out and also talk of Garmin also, but never seen a video or anything like Low and MG.....so you might want to see whats coming unless your dead set on an Ultrex. I bought an Ultrex last year and love it......if you dont plan on getting HB units then no need to spend money on the Ultrex Link.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Start with hydro plate. Ive had atlas and bobs now. Both are great plates, no complants on eitther for me.
    i just put garmins on my boat, i had hummingbirds. No need in the link for me. Id wait till after the classic and make my mind up in the tm and graphs. Seems as soon as u buy its outdated.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Let me know if I can help you get a jack plate on your boat, DM me, call 813-247-7040 or email Steven@bobsmachine.com (note I will be out of the office from Wed-monday for the classic) Thanks!
    Bob's Machine - Action Series Jack Plates - DeckPlugs - DeckSavers - QuickSlip - The Big D Trolling motor handle - Much more!
    www.bobsmachine.com

5. Member
    I don't think the Link model Ultrex will do you any good unless you're running Humminbird units.

6. Banned
    I would wait for the lowrance tm, at least you can compare it to the ultrex if you want to stay with lowrance electronics.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    I would wait for the lowrance tm, at least you can compare it to the ultrex if you want to stay with lowrance electronics.
    Have not had good luck with any Motorguide product and will not consider them. Thank You all for the input. Still noodling on what would be the best.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    Have not had good luck with any Motorguide product and will not consider them. Thank You all for the input. Still noodling on what would be the best.
    Thats fine, I was just suggesting you look at the new lowrance, its not a motorguide best we can tell so far.

9. Member
    I'd be willing to bet that the trolling motor from Lowrance won't be compatible with older units. That being said, I've got a non Link Ultrex because I used to have Lowrance HDS units. I've since upgraded to Birds but I don't know that I would have utilized the Link feature much if at all anyway.

10. Member
    Thanks for all the input. Dollar for dollar it looks like the Lowrances will win. Saw the new Lowrance trolling motor pictures but nothing about the functionality. Really like the Lowrance Elite 2's. Has anyone heard anymore about the new Lowrance troller?

Lowrance and their repair trade in tricks really turn me off to their products.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

12. Member
    I would keep you electronics a little longer until they are longer in the tooth. Then when you upgrade you will be getting something newer and more advanced than what you would be buying now.

13. Member
    So far.............so good it seems. Wound up with 2 Elite TI2's with one of the old HDS 7's used as the speed/bottom sonar unit mounted on a RAM mount beside the console and a Bob's jackplate. What a difference a nice size screen makes for these old eyes. Found a Ghost a few weeks ago and having it installed currently and will hopefully be here before ice out. Thank you for all the input and suggestions.

14. Member
    I had an link older link (not as many features as the new) I tested the follow the contour and such. Never used it though. Used I pilot a lot!!!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4