Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

96 Mercury 225 EFI

Hey guys,

I am looking at a 96 Champion 202 Elite with a Mercury 225 EFI motor on the back of it.

I am unfamiliar with that series of motors so I was just curious as to what to look for when I go look at it. Obviously I know that the compression is going to be a big deal and the hours (if that information can be accessed), but I just wanted to see what the general consensuses was in regards to that series. If you like/don't like them, common issues with that particular motor, anything helps.

Thanks for the input guys!

2. Pat Goff
    Hours don't mean diddle on that motor. They'll easily hit 5-6,000 hours IF and I mean IF it was properly run.
    I'd be much more comfortable with that motor if it had 1,200 hours on it than 200.
    Good oil and good gas they'll run a long time, try to run wally oil through it and it'll die a quick painful death.
    Compression should be 110-120, you want to make sure there isn't one under a hundred, that's a walk away.
    It's one of the most reliable motors ever built by anyone at any time.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. Banned
    The Mercury were bullet proof... Follow Pat's advise... Dan

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    Hours don't mean diddle on that motor. They'll easily hit 5-6,000 hours IF and I mean IF it was properly run.
    I'd be much more comfortable with that motor if it had 1,200 hours on it than 200.
    Good oil and good gas they'll run a long time, try to run wally oil through it and it'll die a quick painful death.
    Compression should be 110-120, you want to make sure there isn't one under a hundred, that's a walk away.
    ^^^ ^^^

Im by no means a 225 guru but my 2000 model 225efi Merc is a beast on the back of my 202... im running a 4blade prop and with a medium load on it.. she will bust out 70-72 with ease

6. Member
    Like Pat stated, a great motor if maintained. Get a leak-down test done prior to purchase and get injectors cleaned and calibrated if you purchase it.
    Champion 206
    250XB

7. Member
    good motor ---thirsty tho lol
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

8. Faith, Family & Fishin' Bigun''s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    Music to my ears!
    1998 Champion 203 & Mercury 225 EFI

9. Member
    Outstanding motor. I truly believe it was one of Mercury's best. Under rated horsepower like many were from that era. I'm pretty certain that motor was pushing up into the 245 hp range back then. Plus they just sound wicked idling at the dock and blowing smoke! Main downfall is they drink the gas.

10. Member
    I have a 97 EFI 225 that has to be 2k plus hours on it now. Let it warm up before running it hard, put ethanol free gas in it, and some good oil and let it rip! I feel it's a great motor for reliability but gas mileage on the other hand...I could care less about the amount of gas I burn as long as it runs good and gets me to the ramp at the end of the day.
    Last edited by Elite203; 03-11-2019 at 05:33 AM.

11. Member
    I got a 1996 Mercury 225 EFI on my 1996 Champion 221 Elite. It is a BEAST and runs AWESOME!

12. Member
    I’ve got one as well and it is truly a stud. Reminds me of my tri-power 66 GTO. In fact it sort of keeps me from buying a vintage muscle car.
    It’s a bit easier to roll out at dark-thirty for a chance to turn the key on that beast and run WFO down The main channel of Guntersville.

Agree with non-ethanol fuel if at all possible and a decent oil.
    It’s a thirsty SOB but that’s why it is so bulletproof. More fuel means more cooling and more lubrication.
    More fuel cost is more insurance protection for an obscene powerhead rebuild cost compared to the direct injected time bombs.
    The Merc EFI and the Yami OX66 are both first generation EFIs and arguably the most reliable big block outboards built.

Please pardon my old school attitude if offended....
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

Not to hyjack the thread... but what brand oil is everybody running in their 225s?
    The original owner i bought mine from switched over and ran the Penzoil marine oil, i ran as much of that out and switched back to Quicksilver 2stroke oil and i dont see too much difference in performance but i do in price

14. Pat Goff
    Quote Originally Posted by kcg202champ View Post
    Not to hyjack the thread... but what brand oil is everybody running in their 225s?
    The original owner i bought mine from switched over and ran the Penzoil marine oil, i ran as much of that out and switched back to Quicksilver 2stroke oil and i dont see too much difference in performance but i do in price
    Anything but walmart oil.
    I did a non scientific test in 99. I got a new rig every year, and up until that time ran only factory oil. Typical hour meter when I turned them back was 450-500 hours. HARD hours, my motor was idle or wide open. Every year we'd go through the engines, and they were all solid, good compression, leak down, bearings good.
    So that year I ran nothing but wally oil.
    At the end of the year that motor was worn out. 88 lbs of compression, bearings were sloppy, motor was just tired.
    That was enough for me, never again will I run that junk.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

Dang... that's some in depth info!!!! Thanks for that
    I just thought (being only have owned my 202 Champ) that i needed to run brand specific oil in it. I asked the original owner why he switched it over and he said it was mainly a price per gallon issue but with those kind of stats you have i guess im ok with either going thru OL SMOKEY ( that's what i named my motor)

16. Member
    I owened a 1996 & 1999 225 EFI and they were strong running engines. In fact all the early EFI’s I’ve had were great!

17. Member
    I run Mercury Premium Plus in my 1996 Mercury 225 EFI

18. Member
    We have have logged thousands of hours using Penzoil Premium Plus with no issues.

Have also used Mercury Premium Plus without any issues.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

I had a 1997 Merc 225 EFI on my 1996 Champion 221. It was a great motor that required nothing other than routine maintenance stuff. The old EFI's certainly did drink gas and oil, but there was something about that nice 2 cycle cloud in the morning when moving away from the dock. My 225 EFI would push the 221 to 68-69 mph with a normal load. Tournament loaded, speed would drop to 64-66 mph. I was running a 25p blueprinted A45 Trophy with some cup added to the tips. Other than the fuel economy, I miss my old Champion with the 225 EFI. It was a smooth riding boat and a nearly bulletproof engine. I always ran Merc/ Quicksilver Premium Plus oil and treated every gallon of fuel with either Seafoam or Quickleen. After seeing what a plugged injector did to my buddies 200 EFI, I took extra steps to make sure my injectors were always clean. I also ran Ethanol free gas whenever possible.

I have been running a 1997 225hp on my 98 202 that I picked up last year. That motor is a beast. I have been running mid grade fuel, mercury premium oil, marine fuel stabilizer and sea foam combo. It runs flawlessly. Love keeping up with the newer boats in these big tournaments and passing several. It does 70mph full tanks and tournament load two people. I do lose about 1.5mph over the course of the day when it warms up and less gas in the tanks and fuller livewells. Such a fantastic,specific tournament built boat. I appreciate it for what it is every time I make that first morning run and go past the other 70mph boats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast