can i clear coat my boat

Gel is gone and i can feel flake. What clear coat is best, and how many coats? Can i do it without baking? No, I cant afford gel

It’ll look great for about 2-3 months. Auto clear does not flex and will delaminate and crack. I’ve sanded off my share of auto clear to restore gelcoat. Only clear you can do that will last will be gel resin. So yes, you can, but no, you shouldn’t. You’ll be hating the way it looks more after it starts splitting and peeling within a year.

3. Member
    I wouldn’t go the automotive clear route. Seen it shortly after applying. No bueno

4. Member
    I've clear coated 4 boats with a product called Diamond Finish. https://www.kbs-coatings.com/DiamondFinish-Clear.html It's made for metal and fiberglass surfaces. It's dries really hard but has flex in the product and won't crack. One boat is on it's 4th year and with a good waxing every 6 months it still looks great. Gell is the best way but at 2500-4000 to gel a complete top cap....this is the best way to go. The directions I've used are on their web site. It's all in the prep work. Guys say you can't but large boats in the gulf and custom race boats have had painted hulls for 30+ years with good success. Agin it's in the prep work that makes or breaks a clear coat finish. Automotive clear will not work! It doesn't flex on plastic or fiberglass. The DF product is the only clear i've seen ,that will hold up to the marine environment. You can cut and polish the finish in 24-48 hours and it's got a mirror finish. I've not had one boat I applied this to peel or crack yet in 4+ years.

Clearing would be my last resort however the above product is great choice.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Member
    clear coat works on fiberglass, not on gel coat. Lots of people get this completely wrong. If ya feel like grinding off all the gel coat then have at it. If not, do the prep work yourself. Take it to a good boat shop, they will do some final prep work and let them shoot it with about 6 mills of gel and do your own finish work.

7. Member
    You are going to have $300-400 in paint to auto clear it. Add another $200 for supplies to do it correctly. redoing the gel coat yourself is probably easier to get a good finish and it will last. The best body shops would have a hard time getting a good clear finish on your boat due to surface contamination reacting with the clear coat and catalyst.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

Quote Originally Posted by gaf11 View Post
    I've clear coated 4 boats with a product called Diamond Finish. https://www.kbs-coatings.com/DiamondFinish-Clear.html It's made for metal and fiberglass surfaces. It's dries really hard but has flex in the product and won't crack. One boat is on it's 4th year and with a good waxing every 6 months it still looks great. Gell is the best way but at 2500-4000 to gel a complete top cap....this is the best way to go. The directions I've used are on their web site. It's all in the prep work. Guys say you can't but large boats in the gulf and custom race boats have had painted hulls for 30+ years with good success. Agin it's in the prep work that makes or breaks a clear coat finish. Automotive clear will not work! It doesn't flex on plastic or fiberglass. The DF product is the only clear i've seen ,that will hold up to the marine environment. You can cut and polish the finish in 24-48 hours and it's got a mirror finish. I've not had one boat I applied this to peel or crack yet in 4+ years.
    So... I went to the website that your link points to. I didn't see anywhere that it says it's safe to use on gel-coat. So... just curious, but do you have to sand the gel completely before applying this? I am seriously considering this stuff if it actually works. Can you post pictures of a finished project? Thanks.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X