Thread: NuCanoe

NuCanoe

Does anyone have any experience with NuCanoe?

we are awaiting a shipment that we are going to set up for demos.

There's a NC Angler website and a lot of guys have them and like them. Especially the bigger dudes.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

3. Member
    I have the nucanoe frontier 12 they are an awesome kayak . The pros extremely stable I can pitch and flip heavy grass standing up. Pack more gear than I will ever need . 360 degree boat seat and easily mount a power pole , shallow water anchor and bow mount trolling motor or transom if you like . However the cons very heavy , drifts bad in wind , awkward to load due to the width and a barge to paddle again due to the weight . Within saying that the pros out weigh the cons by far in my honest opinion. The amount of options to add are limited by your Imagination. Super quiet and stealthy if you can look up a local kayak shop and setup a time for demo .20190228_073219.jpg

4. Member
    Good deal, we are getting them at our dealership. We have a pond out back that we will turn into a test pond. So, I’ll be testing them out very soon.

5. Member
    Do you know the site? I’d like to check it out.

6. Member
    I've done some reading about the various kayaks that are set up for a small o/b motor. Nucanoe always comes up. Some of the positives that I read were the ability to attach a trolling motor or even a 2.5 hp outboard.

I actually fished with a guide who had his Nucanoe rigged that way. It made for an inexpensive, lightweight (relatively)... flats/shallow water boat. A light-weight trailer would be mandatory for me. Academy sold a 14 ft. Jon boat trailer that I adapted for one of my yaks.

The only negative that came up was some guys felt that the main deck plastic flexed. That may have only been with the older models.

I owned a Malibu yak years ago. After a number of complaints, Malibu provided to their owners, for free, a number of foam inserts that stiffened the yak appreciably... I don't know if the "bounce" issues still exist with the newer Nucanoe models. if so, the added foam inserts solved the Malibu issue instantly.

I tested one. As mentioned, very stable, easy to stand in, but like my ascend...it's a beast to turn and a tad on the heavy side. Also the one I tested didn't have a lock on the swivel seat which is a feature I like on the Ascend.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

8. Member
    regarding turning....I found that if a yak didn't have a rudder, one should add a rudder.

Did the yaks that the guys are reporting "hard to turn" have rudders already installed on them?

I made a couple of rudders from both aluminum and WalMart cutting boards. The rudders sure helped.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    I've done some reading about the various kayaks that are set up for a small o/b motor. Nucanoe always comes up. Some of the positives that I read were the ability to attach a trolling motor or even a 2.5 hp outboard.

I actually fished with a guide who had his Nucanoe rigged that way. It made for an inexpensive, lightweight (relatively)... flats/shallow water boat. A light-weight trailer would be mandatory for me.
    Does it come with a capacity plate and hp allowed?

10. Member
    I’m not sure they have a capacity plate, I will know that soon though.

Their website is really good with the specs. They do have a weight limit and they do have a max power rating.

Hey KnotMarineRobert...let me know if you have any questions. I am the regional director for the Midwest Nucanoe Pro Staff. I have been fishing out of NuCanoe kayaks a little over two years now.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    Hey KnotMarineRobert...let me know if you have any questions. I am the regional director for the Midwest Nucanoe Pro Staff. I have been fishing out of NuCanoe kayaks a little over two years now.
    Thanks, I will definitely do that. Do you know any pro staff guys around northern Kentucky?

Quote Originally Posted by KnotMarineRobert View Post
    Thanks, I will definitely do that. Do you know any pro staff guys around northern Kentucky?
    We should...let me check for you. I am sure if there are guys in the area they would definitely be open to coming to your shop to help promote!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    We should...let me check for you. I am sure if there are guys in the area they would definitely be open to coming to your shop to help promote!
    I got your message. It says your inbox is too full.

Doh! Try it in a couple minutes

Try Strictly Sil in Cinny area. They are a Nucanoe and Hobie dealer and will usually have a demo