Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grimmjsg1 View Post
    Load up whatever boat you can afford ditch digger bring it to Toledo bend and take off tuning north to south some buoys are straight lines where you have to stay close to left side or right side hoping the rising water didn’t shift them. I will take a picture of what’s left of your boat after the “wood” that has had rebar and steel rods drove into them to anchor boats like yours in them smart guy. Go dig a ditch and eat a sandwich
    Up and running on pad when you aren't sure where the boat trail is. Got it.

It’s actually pretty common on Toledo Bend, which is why Toledo Fiberglass has made a solid business structure in that corner of the Louisiana and Texas border.

Livingston can wreck one quick,
    Lake Fork shows little sympathy,
    Blacks and other small Louisiana waters are treacherous,
    Lake of the Pines has seen more than one broken at the rivers S bend,
    Sam Rayburn has its challenges up by the Duck Blind and from the Attoyac and massive stumps, to Ayishe Bayou it has areas.
    Toledo Bend has a whole ‘nother set of challenges which includes those many crappie angler rebar marked stumps and they don’t rust out easy.
    The upper stretch and bayous of the Ouachita River can really hurt one quick with those old cypress knees. Ever cut cypress?

Here in north Arkansas we have Lake Charles and it has more rebar in it than most concrete floors. Must have been an old concrete guy who loved to crappie fished and had cutoffs.

Then you have Millwood and some won’t even go there from Paraloma Trail to the gasline, or Big Bertha’, and it’s rebar marked also. The geniuses used rebar to mark the trails after the ice shifted and knocked down the timber twice in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s. Plus it has more propeller blades and gearcase parts stuck in stumps than people would believe.

Its not necessarily just running on wood. Often it’s fatigue as if you hear the ice breaking sound in your hull, you just fatigued it. It may not show a break, crack or tear, though it got hurt. This was more common on those early MACT and Recession Era resins than today’s.

No doubt people underestimate that they are suspending almost 5,000 pounds of fiberglass on one stump point and make mistakes. We can’t build them heavy enough and make them run acceptable for that.

The multiple times for one to be beaten are when the damages occur. Often that’s the third or fourth ownership that didn’t know Owners #1 or #2 ran it up on sandbars, stumps and rocks without concern.

If its a marked up bottom bottom it’s been on something and they outer bark is soft, not leaving a mark on the gelcoat often. Same goes true for that gearcase that dead headed an oak tree which was water soaked outside, though the core was ironwood.

Lots of scenarios on boats that have seen various waters from Florida rock ledges and Mississippi River sand bars to the stumps of the south.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 03-10-2019 at 11:23 PM.

Or if you're like me, can hit a stump in 90 foot of water in the middle of Table Rock with a prop that just got B&B. Done it TWICE now.

Quote Originally Posted by ditchdiggerjcf View Post
    Busted it how? It takes a large degree of stupid to knock a hole in fiberglass with wood.
    Ummm, I see you have much to learn.

5. Banned
    Been doing this a looong time. I haven't knocked any holes in boats yet.

Come down to Toledo Bend, launch anywhere you want. You and the integrity of your hull will soon be parted.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grimmjsg1 View Post
    Come down to Toledo Bend, launch anywhere you want. You and the integrity of your hull will soon be parted.
    Nope. I'm smart enough not to put it on the pad if I'm not sure about the trails.

With that, Mr. Digger, I leave you this quote “Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
    ― Isaac Asimov

9. Banned
    Never claimed to know everything. I do however, know enough to not run unknown stump filled waters at speed. That seems like good ol common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ditchdiggerjcf View Post
    Been doing this a looong time. I haven't knocked any holes in boats yet.
    Have you ever seen a piece of wood break off from a dock and be setting flush with the water? Yep, it happens. I've seen an old truck tire with rim floating flush with the water line, never saw it till I hit it. Trees that float with current then settle in the middle of the channel just below the water line happens as well. Channels silt in and debris settles in them after high water. Sand bars form in river systems where the water used to be several feet deep. Some boat lanes are cut just a few feet under the pool stage water line; add a 3 foot drop in water level and there goes a lower unit which pushes boat into a stump field. Idling along and some idiot drove rebar into a stump below the water line, then comes the sound "errrrrrrrrrrruuuah."

Just a few instances I've seen and some I personally experienced.

Yep you are from exactly right JP to many hazards to list unfortunately. One day I will grow up and be like Mr. Digger, fish no where that has any floating hazards, be certain anywhere I put my pad has no floating debris anywhere in the boat lane, have cat like reflexes and the eye of an eagle. Wait, that sounds like someone relaxing with a cold beverage in the bathtub. Never mind I will stick to fishing.

12. Member
    No doubt the gorilla hull is a great product. Though with the basscat hull it is known to cause speed loss. Some more than others. Which im sure this depends on load. Ive read loss from 2 to 7mph. Ive also read where some get most of speed back but never recoupe all back. As far as logs ive seen some very large holes come from the river system i fish. Personally ive been very LUCKY! Though i know every time i launch there's that potential. Its never the one i see that makes me nervous! ITS THE NO SEEUMS!
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12