Help with basscat setups

Got a gorilla hull put on a 2012 bass cat puma mercury 250 pro xs and lost agood 10 mph, no bow lift, and max rpm 5600. Had 26 fury worked by RonnieGilbert and Toledo Fiberglass work to take out hook, gained liftand 3 mph increase. Has a 6 inch manual slidemaster,prop to pad 2.625,engine height to pad 25 7/8 inches, before the hullinstalled and was running 80 as I said now getting 73-74. I posted on anotherforum and it was recommended to have the plastic roller on the throttle onthe Mercury Proxs removed with the theory not opening the throat fullywill make the fuel run richer and give a little extra power. The boat will onlyturn 57-5800 presently I have some rpm's left on the table which need to get back. 1.) Is there any credence to removing that plasticroller to give more power to try to get those last 200 rpm 2.) Will placing an8 inch hydraulic plate on it, gaining 2 inches setback andleverage, and ability lift straight versus trim help get back speed and/orcapture those rpms back. Trying to lift more now at 5800 pm by trimming resultsin a tall rooster tail.

Compression checked (120 +/- 5), new plugs and plug wires, and mercury mastermechanic said she is putting out full power. Any other suggestions?

2. Pat Goff
    Whoever touched it last should be the one that fixes their mistake.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. Member
    You changed the entire composition of the haul . You may never see 80 again . But you can go stump jumping now . Taking the plastic stop off sounds like a shaded tree hillbilly trick to me don’t do it .

4. Member
    Gorilla hull is the problem not that roller. If you run that Opti Max rich it will just fowl the plugs

So you put a gorilla hull on a perfectly good hull? Did they not tell you it would lose speed? Did you put it on to protect from scrapes and scratches? Because that's about all it'll do. It doesn't make the boat a tank, just run like one. Should have ran it til it got all scratched up to the point that it had lost performance before putting on a coating to protect a perfectly good hull and kill the performance. The perfect, unscratched hull is now permanently hidden and the performance is permanently stunted.

The hull was damaged only a moron would fix something that’s not broken. A very astute observation and long in the tooth about what was lost hence the reason for the post but very light on any substantive input to address / improve upon anything.

You'd be surprised what people do. If the hull was damaged, and it was necessary, then, it is what it is. The speed loss is the nature of the beast. Good luck with it.

8. Banned
    The guys that don’t have them, don’t understand. I posted on your Merc thread, you might want to see if you can find anyone with a tempest and give it a try. Fury’s aren’t know to be great bow lifters like tempest are,

I have read of guys taking brand new boats and having gorilla hulls installed, speeds not everything when you live in a stump infested lake.

I was raised in east texas and fished those stump infested waters all my life. I know what a gorilla hull is and IMO, putting it on a new hull is moronic. It'll only protect against scratches, gouges and scuffs. Why cover a perfectly good hull and kill your speed when you can always put the GH on at a later date after the hull has been scratched up. But, if you do have it put on...........you should.........EXPECT a significant speed loss.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatshaft Merc View Post
    I was raised in east texas and fished those stump infested waters all my life. I know what a gorilla hull is and IMO, putting it on a new hull is moronic. It'll only protect against scratches, gouges and scuffs. Why cover a perfectly good hull and kill your speed when you can always put the GH on at a later date after the hull has been scratched up. But, if you do have it put on...........you should.........EXPECT a significant speed loss.

I wouldn’t put one on a new boat either, but I’ve seen people post pics of their now boats and say something like “heading to get a gorilla hull”. I just figured they had too much money.

But it seems like this case is a bit more extreme in the speed loss than most are, I bet if he changes props he won’t be down much from the original speeds (2mph or so).

I've always heard 5-7 mph loss. I agree 10 is a bit much.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatshaft Merc View Post
    I've always heard 5-7 mph loss. I agree 10 is a bit much.
    He said before he was running 80 and now he hits 73-74.

That is right in the 5-7 range you posted.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

13. Member
    You should have an 8in jackplate not a 6in.

14. Pat Goff
    Bass cat voids a warranty with more than 6" plate.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

15. Member
    Basscat installs a 8” on every model in less it has an Evinrude.