mikesxpress

Blue catfish update.

Having sat on the Potomac River Fisheries Commission Fin Fish Committee as the mid-river representative for 2 years, I continue to follow many of the initiatives that were introduced during my tenure. One of the items of interest for the majority of the bass fishing folks is the effort to establish a local buyer base for blue catfish. This has been completed and the waterman now have an active market & multiple fish buyers for these fish. You can expect to see a large increase in the harvest of fish <8 lbs. The buyers will not accept fish larger than that due to automated processing equipment restrictions and an increased level of contaminates in older/larger fish. Projected harvest data suggests that it will take multiple years to achieve any significant reduction in blue catfish bio-mass but it's a start. Recreational fisherman can expect to see an increase in the number of hoop nets set for these fish year-round.

https://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2018/0...ing-initiative

http://prfc.us/Blue_Catfish_Buyers_List.pdf
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 03-07-2019 at 09:57 AM.

2. Member
    Mike, how will they harvest this things? Just curious if they will use nets and how do they target just blue cats, or is it a general haul and pick out the blue cats. In this regard, I have always been curious on how they target eels on the river.

3. mikesxpress
    Hoop nets.

YAY! More floats to dodge. Hopefully the cat fishermen will use some floats that aren't all worn out and blend in with the water like the crabbers use.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    More ignorance from me...what is a hoop net? OK, now tell me it is net shaped like a hoop.

Last edited by yj99t04; 03-07-2019 at 08:58 PM.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. mikesxpress
    During my PRFC time I spent multiple days with waterman fishing various gear at different times of the year. Great educational experience.

The hoop net (also called a trap net) is a constructed of 3’ hoops, 2 ½” stretched mesh and fished an average of 3 times per week. Nets are normally baited with menhaden at 25lbs per net. Game fish bycatch is almost non-existent. Occasionally some shad species, turtles, and sturgeon will be caught and released.

8. mikesxpress
    Plenty of videos on-line showing hoop net fishing. With our tides here the rear of the net is anchored with a block or pole, the net is stretched/baited and anchored with the bottom of the net off the river bottom so it doesn't get silted in. Simple and effective.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 03-08-2019 at 05:37 AM.

9. mikesxpress
    Hal this should answer your eel trap questions:

10. Member
    Thanks Mike. I did find a ton of detailed videos on hoop nets. Who would have thunk it?

11. Member
    Dumfries, Va./ Kerr-Buggs Island, Boydton Va.
    Hal, I am from Cherry Hill and still own a home on Cherry Hill Rd. If you want to see one in action/first hand a couple of my wifes relatives (Dents/Cumberland) still fish and crab the river just let me know. We never met but I think I would see you go past my house I had the red Gambler in the driveway. No more river for me loving everyday on Kerr.

12. Member
    How would one get into the commercial blue catfish business? Is it a limited entry? Or can anyone do it?
    Last edited by kdfannin; 03-10-2019 at 08:28 AM.

13. mikesxpress
    There is no commercial fishing for bluefish.

14. Member
    Just put a large icebox on the Mattawoman ramp. Allow fishermen to throw Snakeheads and Blue Cats in. Free for whoever wants them. Maybe that Xxxxx looking fellow and his wife that keep jigging up throwback tournament bass and putting them in his trunk would get better tasting fish.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    There is no commercial fishing for bluefish.
    Sorry I meant blue catfish.

16. Member
    Wow, the Dents are an institution around here I guess. Thanks for the offer. We shall see.
    Last edited by HalBrown; 03-12-2019 at 10:06 AM.

17. mikesxpress
    Commercial fishing is not a part time hobby gig. You can buy a license for hoop nets but I would suggest doing some mate trips with a few different waterman for some OJT & information on what happens after you catch fish and how you get bait for the nets. You may change your mind...

18. Member
    Great information, Thanks Mike