Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very interesting. Sort of what I expected with moving baits, though I bet there's not a lot of difference with techniques where sensitivity is more important as well. A properly built custom rod on any blank is better than almost every production rod out there.

Assuming that it turns out that people aren't noticing differences between the rods on other techniques as well, the question that will crop up next for me is whether I can convince myself to just buy the cheaper blanks when I go to building something for myself! My ego might not allow it...
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

2. Member
    So tester #2 gave his results. Good buddy of mine who I've fished with for years, he's been fishing tournaments for probably 30 years. Fishes a lot...our club tournaments, local Anglers Choice, every Wednesday nighter and he lives on a lake. Asked him what he thought about the two. He told me the "yellow" one (I put yellow trim on the butt of one and red on the other) felt ever so slightly more sensitive...he fished crankbaits on both for one tournament but used them both on his lake for light texas rigs. I had forgotten which was which but I assumed that the yellow one was the HM. Got back to my shop and looked at my notes and the yellow one was actually the Delta.

So as of right now we've got 1 tie, 1 prefers the Delta/Alconites and 0 on the HM/Torzites.

That’s amazing! Figure the slightly heavier rod might balance a little better? Compared to the weight of these rods, the reels we tend to use are extremely heavy....

Thanks for the update!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

4. Member
    This is interesting
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    That’s amazing! Figure the slightly heavier rod might balance a little better? Compared to the weight of these rods, the reels we tend to use are extremely heavy....

Thanks for the update!
    The weight difference is really imperceptible, the Delta is only .08oz heavier (like 2.2g). Could be though.

Very interesting. I wonder if the alconites being ever so slightly heavier can transmit the vibrations a hair better? IDK I'm sure we could dive super deep there but I'm sure that isn't your purpose for this.

following!! Really cool
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    The weight difference is really imperceptible, the Delta is only .08oz heavier (like 2.2g). Could be though.
    Oh wow, I read your original weights a 0.8 oz different!

Keep it coming!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

I like this test! Keep the results coming.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

10. Member
    Finally got the rods back from testers 3 and 4, local tourney guys...One used them mostly fishing tubes for smallies and the other liked them for jerkbaits. Both liked both rods a lot but liked the HM better, said the main reason was that they didn't like the ridges on the Delta. When I told them the cost difference between the two they said they would have been just as happy with the Delta if I could get rid of the ridges.

Anyway, didn't get as many different people to test them out as I wanted but I think for the most part the consensus was that there wasn't that much of a difference...except in price

11. Member
    Also...sounds like the next test to do is Phenix K2 vs Feather...

Thank you for the update! I'm waiting on the next test.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

13. Member
    Super cool, and I like the idea of using some different blanks moving forward. I'm sure I may be in the minority, but I don't think the HM is anywhere near as good as the msrp price tag suggests. I feel there are better blanks from different manufactures for the same or less money. It would be cool if you found some blanks from different high end companies, that were really close in power and taper...K2 vs PB

14. Member
    I’m building 2 similar rods, ones a K2, ones a Recon. Both 7’6”, being built for hair jigs. I’ll try and post something up when they are done.
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogsticker View Post
    Super cool, and I like the idea of using some different blanks moving forward. I'm sure I may be in the minority, but I don't think the HM is anywhere near as good as the msrp price tag suggests. I feel there are better blanks from different manufactures for the same or less money. It would be cool if you found some blanks from different high end companies, that were really close in power and taper...K2 vs PB
    I'd agree with you on the NFC HM for sure...the MSRP is out of line. Even with the sales they've run over the past year and a half or so I think I've only gotten a couple of blanks that were legit straight so still almost not worth the sale price. On the flip side I can't remember ever getting a Hydra or Point Blank that was crooked.

I bet the Feather wins...no joke. The Feather blanks are so well balanced I honestly believe people will prefer them.

I appreciate you sharing this. It's been fascinating.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

17. Member
    I'm looking forward to checking out the Feather blanks, I've got 2 spinning rods (7'7" M and 7'1" L) that I got during one of the TW sales last year. I wanted to see how they felt and actually use the 7'7" quite a bit. I'm not crazy about the reel seats so I was happy when I found out that the blanks could be had. I try and find the best blanks at the lower price points (like under $110) so I can build someone a nice rod and not break their wallet.

18. Member
    Just to clarify, should I contact Phenix direct to order a feather blank? Which blank models are available - all the same as the production rods? Thx

19. Member
    This goes along with my own test using a xray drop shot blank and delta drop shot blank. Same components on both and I use the delta more. I got both blanks on sale and have approx 200 in the x ray and 130 in the delta
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogsticker View Post
    Just to clarify, should I contact Phenix direct to order a feather blank? Which blank models are available - all the same as the production rods? Thx
    I don't think that you can order directly from them but if you call Get Bit and talk to Kevin he will get them for you/add them to your order. Here is the list I got from Phenix a couple weeks ago

FTX69MHB (all start with FTX)
    71HB
    71LB
    71MHB
    71MLB
    77HB
    77MHB

S69MB (S for spinning)
    S71M
    S71H
    S71L
    S71M