Thread: bait painting

bait painting

so i found some baits that i have that the paint is gone so i was going to rough up the finish with 400 grit sand paper and use spray paint to paint going with simple two color pattern and then spray with an outdoor clear coat will it work. its cold out and am board looking for something to do

2. Member
    i have used the cheap wal mart brand clear and it worked fine.
    i also used krylon paint with no clear and it held up also.

3. JCWbassmaster
    Spray in light layers (passes) and heat set with a hair dryer between layers, especially in cold weather. Learned this the hard way. If you do not heat set or let dry between passes it will peel even with clear coat. I used krylon acrylic clear one time but it gummed up over time. Possibly because i did not heat set.

4. Member
    Have a project for the wife then I am going to give it a try

5. Member
    My experience with painting lures with spray cans is using top quality (Testors) paint does better. Don't know if its the nozzle or the paint but seems a finer mist. I get mine from hobby shops and find better color selection there for what I use it for. For details, like a lil orange on the throat, and black on the back, I get the lure a lil away from me and make short quick sprays.(moving my hand quickly)I find better. For eyes, I spray a lil paint in a small container, and let it set for 5 to 8 minutes or so (til its not runny). Dip a nail head or something round into the paint, and apply to the lure. Looks good to me, won't comment on how the fish react!!!BF