Some help around Shreveport please and thank you

Hello guys/gals, in about 3 weeks i will be heading down to Shreveport area for the KBF (kayak bass fishing) national championship. I will be able to fish cross, caddo, Black Cypress Bayou, Lake Bistineau and Wallace. I have somewhat of a game plan put into play, but looking for any help that you are willing to give. i am not looking for anyone's GPS cords or anything, but some guidance on lakes, lures, depths, stage of the spawn etc. i have a lot to cover in a very short time in a kayak.

i really appreciate any and all help you guys offer. thank you in advance.

2. Member
    Dirk-you won't find many gentlemen on here from the NW part of our state. The only one I know, if he is still on here, is badazztriton. But haven't seen him post in a while. I would check to see which, if any, of those lakes still have a slot limit on them. If no slot, and you are looking for big bass, fish Caddo. I have fished Black Bayou before and caught bass up to about 5 lbs. and it will be less intimidating than Caddo or Bistineau, or Cross for that matter. Cross would be the 1st one to cross off of my list if it were me. It is known for the fish being very finicky...more so than most lakes. However, it could very well be where it could be won at if someone really gets on them there as it has some good fish. For a number of people who are from the Shreveport/Bossier area, go to ultimatebass.com and hopefully there will be someone there who can help you on there if no one shows up here to help out.

3. Member
    Preacher thank you very much! i am not sure if the slot limit will apply to us or not. we just catch photo then release immediately.

4. Member
    You should be good to go then. I know that some of the lakes around our part of LA have had the slot limit removed, but since Caddo is shared with TX, I don't know. Let us know how you do and where you end up fishing!

5. Member
    Caddo does still have a slot limit (14 to 18") but if it doesn't affect you, that would be my choice of the list. I know a few years back, a guy caught a fish there that would have been a new state record if it had been on this side of the lake. Think 16 something. Bistineau has a bunch of cypress trees but I think they also have an issue with giant salvinia now. Wallace would probably be the least pressured but I don't know anything about it. Also nothing on Black Bayou. Been by it but that's about it. I live in the middle of the state and have only actually fished the river up there.

6. Member
    Thanks, Clif. Bistineau would be a last resort to me. I have fished it 3 or 4 times over the years with very little success. I have fished different cypress studded lakes all my life, but have not unlocked the key to that lake...lol. And yes, it had a bad case of the giant salvinia. I know they drained the lake a time or 2 to try and get it knocked down some but not sure how successful they were.

7. Member
    Cross and Caddo are the only ones u really need to worry about. I can give u a few tips. I strictly fish Caddo and live 10 mins from Cross. The rest Text me 3185170322.

I would fish cross lake myself.Fish will be shallow still a swim jig and a watermelon red brush hog will give u great results.

9. Member
    Caddo hands down