Is this prop worth saving?

My neighbor & I bought a boat for our boys. It came with this shooter prop, not sure of the pitch. Is it worth taking and having cleaned up and worked?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 Ranger 521VX
    2003 Mercury 250XS S# 0T652530

2. Member
    Bought it for the boys. Buy the boys some steel wool and fine scotch bite pads and teach em boat upkeep.

Quote Originally Posted by I fish 4 Bass View Post
    Bought it for the boys. Buy the boys some steel wool and fine scotch bite pads and teach em boat upkeep.
    Thats a great idea. It will have to be worked. There is a pretty big dent in one blade but they could clean it up.
    2003 Ranger 521VX

The shooter line of props is from the mid 80's/very early 90's . It was an okay prop but it was not real efficient. If cosmetics was the only issue then I would say clean it up and run it. However you said it had a bent blade and needed repair so I would look for another prop. What boat/motor combo was the prop ran on.

5. Member
    If the boys are young, then they are probably going to, rough it up even more.....I say beat the dent out of it yourself and let them run it.

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    The shooter line of props is from the mid 80's/very early 90's . It was an okay prop but it was not real efficient. If cosmetics was the only issue then I would say clean it up and run it. However you said it had a bent blade and needed repair so I would look for another prop. What boat/motor combo was the prop ran on.
    It's on a 91 Ranger 482V w/ a 91 Johnson Faststrike 150.
    2003 Ranger 521VX

You can pick up a decent three blade 14.5 X 24 Raker for $200 or less. You will also need new mounting hardware. Rakers are known for bow lift and top end speed. If you want a good all around performance prop get a four blade 13.5 X 25 Renegade. It will cost about the same if you shop around on the props for sale board here at BBC. It has great holeshot and good rough water and mid range bite. It's not as fast nor does it lift like a Raker but it is still a good all around prop. Most who run the Renegade also run a cavation ring due to the smaller hub diameter. If it blows out on holeshot then Renegade will need a cavitation ring. If not then run it without one. FYI some call the cavitation ring a weed ring or blow out ring. All three terminology describes the exact same thing..it just depends on who your talking to as what they call it. Also on a side note when going from 3 blade to 4 baled you typically step down 1-2 pitch but the Renegade is only 13.5" in diameter so a four blade 25 pitch Renegade turns about the same as a three blade 24 Raker.

As a side not I am not trying to get this thread off topic but I "think" 1991 was the one and only year of the "hot" 150 Fastrike. There was one year that had "hot" heads which made them make closer to 180-190HP. Some people cried foul so Johnson changed the cylinder heads, timing and spark thus getting the HP back down close to 150. I don't recall if it was the entire run of 1991 motors or anly part of the production year. In fact I am not 100% sure it was 1991 but I "think" it was the 1991 150 that had some "hot" motors.

I posted a picture of the heads on the johnson forum and someone thought they were the original hot heads. It has a three blade raker on it now but I don’t see pitch info.
    2003 Ranger 521VX

Quote Originally Posted by crashxx View Post
    I posted a picture of the heads on the johnson forum and someone thought they were the original hot heads. It has a three blade raker on it now but I don’t see pitch info.
    prop numbers are on the hub under the mounting hardware. If you take the nut and spline bushing off you’ll see the numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hale View Post
    prop numbers are on the hub under the mounting hardware. If you take the nut and spline bushing off you’ll see the numbers
    Thanks. Do you know what the torque value is for the prop nut?
    2003 Ranger 521VX

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crashxx View Post
    Thanks. Do you know what the torque value is for the prop nut?
    Ask in the Johnson/Evinrude forum. I recently ask what my prop nut torque should be and I was told 70-80 ft lbs. I run a Raker II but it has a different type hub than a regular Raker so the torque specs may or may not be be different and I have no idea if makes a difference or not. Just make sure when you ask you tell them exactly what prop you are inquiring prop nut torque about. The reason I say that is because in reply #1 you said it was a shooter and in reply #8 you said it has a raker on it now.

Oh...Jason was right if you remove the hardware it should have the prop information stamped on the barrel...it will be something like 14.5 X 24 (if its a 24 pitch 22 if its a 22 pitch) then if my memory is correct after 14.5 X 24 there will be by a serial number. FYI the 14.5 is diameter the X is a symbol for the word by and the 24 is pitch...14.5 diameter by 24 pitch and the serial number identifies the exact model/style of the prop.

I should have been more clear. It came with two props. One is a three blade raker and tho other is the four blade shooter. I’ll ask about the torque in the Johnson forum. Thanks.
    2003 Ranger 521VX