St Croix Legend Glass for Bladed Jigs?

Just wondering what are everyone's thoughts on the St Croix Legend Glass for throwing bladed jigs? I got one recently for squarebills but now I am thinking of using it for bladed jigs. I'm curious as to your responses. Thanks.

2. Member
    The 7'4 MH legend glass would be perfect for 3/8th and up bladed jigs. That's what they designed it for.

3. Member
    7'4 would be great

4. Member
    I think the 6’10” MH would be good for chatterbaits

5. Member
    yeah i have two of the 7'4 med hvy models and they actually work really well for throwing bladed jigs i usually throw them on an expride mh glass but last season i started using the st croix rods a bit more with them and really liked it a lot. once you get acclimated to how the glass rod handles its surprisingly accurate when casting. i like the 7'4 med hvy a lot because of the versatility of a glass rod. chatterbaits, dt 6- dt 10 and mid to semi deep crankbaits, and i really like it for the smaller whopper ploppers. I have a few of the 7'2 medium glass rods as well and like them a lot but would not recommend them for the bladed jig just not enough power it really is a smaller crank rod in my hands so if you get one def get the med hvy action.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Revofisher View Post
    yeah i have two of the 7'4 med hvy models and they actually work really well for throwing bladed jigs i usually throw them on an expride mh glass but last season i started using the st croix rods a bit more with them and really liked it a lot. once you get acclimated to how the glass rod handles its surprisingly accurate when casting. i like the 7'4 med hvy a lot because of the versatility of a glass rod. chatterbaits, dt 6- dt 10 and mid to semi deep crankbaits, and i really like it for the smaller whopper ploppers. I have a few of the 7'2 medium glass rods as well and like them a lot but would not recommend them for the bladed jig just not enough power it really is a smaller crank rod in my hands so if you get one def get the med hvy action.
    Could you compare for me the st croix glass 7'4 and 7'2 glass expride? Which handles throwing a 1oz bait better, and how do the actions and powers compare? I've used the 7'4 glass but never the 7'2 expride, so would appreciate any input on comparing the 2.

7. Member
    the expride has more power up in the top so you have a soft tip but it doesnt have that super smooth bend all they way through the blank like the st croix does. they are both great the only reason i give the edge to the ex pride is when it comes to grass it seems to detect it better and lets you pop it out of there with a little less of a chance that your bait will get hung up i the grass. honestly i cant help with the 1 oz bait i dont throw that size in the bladed jigs. expride gets a 3/8 -1/2 oz mostly. honestly i might go a different rod if i was thrwoing a 1oz bladed jig. i handled a dobyns 736 glass one time and didnt buy it because i already have a few of the expride glass rods but it seemed like it had more power for the heavier baits.

8. Member
    I just noticed as well that st croix came out with a legend glass chatterbait rod for this year that might be what your looking for its a 7'2 hvy xtra fast legend glass chatterbait rod. ill probably order one this week i would think it should have more power than the 7'4 med hvy crank rod which would handle a wide variety of weights. they also made this rod in the new mojo glass they are revamping if looking for a cheaper option.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Revofisher View Post
    I just noticed as well that st croix came out with a legend glass chatterbait rod for this year that might be what your looking for its a 7'2 hvy xtra fast legend glass chatterbait rod. ill probably order one this week i would think it should have more power than the 7'4 med hvy crank rod which would handle a wide variety of weights. they also made this rod in the new mojo glass they are revamping if looking for a cheaper option.
    I'm thinking of picking one of the Mojo versions up for $160 just for spring chatterbait/squarebill fishing. I would imagine the rod would work for both.
    1994 Ranger 482VS Bass Masters Classic Edition #51

10. Member
    St. Croix just released a new Legend Glass model, it a 7'2" Heavy Moderate. This rod was designed for throwing chatterbaits and lipless baits. At the BMC St. Croix was giving away a Jack-Hammer Chatterbait to everyone who purchased this model. Rod has lots of back bone for ripping chatterbaits and traps through the grass and with the moderate bend it would be hard to take the bait away from a fish. St. Croix nicknamed the rod the "Rippin Chatter" rod. Since they released at the classic we sold through them extremely fast. They are currently on backorder but I know we will have a few on the way when they are available again.
    www.tackletrap.com
    256-281-6160
    Sales - The Tackle Trap
    2001 Ranger 518VX
    2001 Mercury Optimax 200
    Tackle Junkie

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacklekid55 View Post
    St. Croix just released a new Legend Glass model, it a 7'2" Heavy Moderate. This rod was designed for throwing chatterbaits and lipless baits. At the BMC St. Croix was giving away a Jack-Hammer Chatterbait to everyone who purchased this model. Rod has lots of back bone for ripping chatterbaits and traps through the grass and with the moderate bend it would be hard to take the bait away from a fish. St. Croix nicknamed the rod the "Rippin Chatter" rod. Since they released at the classic we sold through them extremely fast. They are currently on backorder but I know we will have a few on the way when they are available again.
    www.tackletrap.com
    256-281-6160
    The 7'2" Heavy Moderate will be available in Legend Glass and Mojo Glass
    Sales - The Tackle Trap
    2001 Ranger 518VX
    2001 Mercury Optimax 200
    Tackle Junkie

12. Member
    So I was lucky enough to purchase the 7’2’’ heavy legend glass rod through tackle trap at the class! I already went to the water to test the rod out and I love the rod! It’s something that St Croix has been missing , but I really think they hit a homerun with this guy. Only thing I wish I would of done is bought two of these !

Quote Originally Posted by Red1993sol View Post
    So I was lucky enough to purchase the 7’2’’ heavy legend glass rod through tackle trap at the class! I already went to the water to test the rod out and I love the rod! It’s something that St Croix has been missing , but I really think they hit a homerun with this guy. Only thing I wish I would of done is bought two of these !
    Thank you! We ran out of them quickly but will have more soon. I'm glad to hear you like the rod, the response has been very positive on that one, and the new Mojo Glass rods. Keep us posted on how it performs for you...

14. Member
    What is the difference in the two? Is the blank the same but the components way better in the Legend vs the Mojo?
    1994 Ranger 482VS Bass Masters Classic Edition #51

15. Member
    is the rod super heavy being that it's a glass rod?
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

16. Member
    I can’t say on the mojo glass but I got the legend glass 7’2 hvy chatter rod and I really like it. I’ve not fished it yet but already know it will have a good amount of power on the hook set . I usually use a Expride glass med hvy with is great and a touch lighter but tge St Croix will definitely be more able to handle tge 1/2 oz and up baits better