Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whole home generators

Anyone have a whole home generator? I'm looking into it and it appears the most popular is the Generac. The reviews are all over the place so I'd like to hear some more first hand experiences. Also if Generac isn't the way to go any other recommendations that I should be researching?

I'll need it to support natural gas and produce around 20kW.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The Generac aren't bad. My neighbor has a wifi enabled one that lets him check on the status from his phone and I think notifies him if something goes wrong with the test run or if the generator is powering the house.

When sizing, realize you don't have to run everything all the time. When pricing, you need to realize you may need to add a couple of thousand for the transfer switch and installation.

One thing to consider about natural gas is that in the event of a significant disaster in your area like a big tornado or earthquake they might shut the gas off to control the leaks at houses that have been damaged. More likely to stay on than being able to get gas or Diesel in a disaster, but not as guaranteed as you might think. You still need to think about a backup for the backup.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I notice a lot use a dedicated propane tank. Be sure to size the tank to last how long you expect to run the generator.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

4. Member
    We looked at that when we built. Oklahoma springs are notorious for power outages. Decided instead to have the vital areas of the home (master br/bath, kitchen and refer, kids rooms and br, and main room and tv) wired to a separate breaker box that feeds o a 220v outlet. The electrician then made a pig tail that I can plug my 2200 w generator into and I have backup power. It's not instant, it's quit noisy, but it's damn near free.

-b-

I hear you on natural disasters but I'll play the odds on gas availability. Never been without in 20 years and my parents live down the road and never lost it in over 40 years. Power is another story.

Thanks

6. Member
    I'm having a 20KW installed next month. I already have the transfer switch and and gas line run (installed when house was built in 2016). The 20KW unit will support an average size house just fine provided you don't go nuts during outages.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

You can support a normal sized house with a 5500w/7000w generator. I can run everything in my house except for the electric dryer. I'm on city water and don't have a well/well pump.

8. Member
    We had a Generac 17KW installed about 6-7 years ago. Our town power supply has a habit of going out on a regular basis and living in south Louisiana, we get our share of hurricanes. Lights go out and 15 seconds later, we're got our own power. Can truthfully say,as seniors, best money we ever spent...BF

9. Member
    I checked into both General and Kohler for a previous house but left before moving. Both seemed fine but I preferred Kohler. They're definitely worth checking.

10. Member
    I have worked for a Kohler and a General dealer for many years both in field service and sales. I had a ten kw Kohler at my last house and a 16kw General at the new place. Both work great. Can’t go wrong with either.

11. Member
    Just had a Generac installed last year. Get a few few quotes; prices can very a lot.
    Most of the gas companies can connect you to someone for the install.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    You can support a normal sized house with a 5500w/7000w generator. I can run everything in my house except for the electric dryer. I'm on city water and don't have a well/well pump.
    That unit is too small for central AC but then it is not needed in Vermont.

Generac and Kohler are the big players. Go with who has the best service

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    I notice a lot use a dedicated propane tank. Be sure to size the tank to last how long you expect to run the generator.
    I have a portable that peaks at just under 10kW that runs on either gas or propane. The power output it a little less on propane. I think it is supposed to run about 8 hours on a 15lb bottle.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

14. Member
    We have a Generac on gas, its 5 years old now and just put about $500.00 into it this winter. Have it on a weekly schedule to run 15 min every Wednesday.

15. Member
    bought one for mom and dad for christmas from generac and found a guy that could install and keep that warranty, bought it from place online and saved money. if i could do it over to save time i would look for an installer not a dealer and work with them to figure out what you need then move forward

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    That unit is too small for central AC but then it is not needed in Vermont.

Generac and Kohler are the big players. Go with who has the best service
    I have a 16k BTU window type air conditioner permanently mounted in the wall and can run that with my generator along with everything else needed during the summer like the fridge and freezer. Our normal concern is an ice storm during winter knocking out power and need heat. We can rough it without AC 10 to 11 months of the year!

17. Member
    I have a Generac 20kw we installed 10 yrs ago. Hasn't missed a beat except for 1 new cranking battery. Runs on propane or NG ( we have propane). Exercises weekly for 15 min. Lets you know when to change oil, plugs, air filter,etc. I bought the cold kit also which includes a heated mat for the battery and a heat wrap for the oil sump. Pretty quiet also. Bought through Electric Generators Direct. The package included the transfer switch.
    I've got money I haven't even spent yet!
    2011 Nitro Z8--200 pro xs

18. Bob G's pool boy
    I have a 15kw Generac on natural gas. It was on propane before and we converted. I can run literally my whole house on it, like the power never went out. Everything.

It does burn about a quart of oil a day so having some of that around is important as it will shut down when it gets low.
    Last edited by billspence; 03-05-2019 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Bob needs the extra juice for his electric inflatable sheep.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
    We have a Generac on gas, its 5 years old now and just put about $500.00 into it this winter. Have it on a weekly schedule to run 15 min every Wednesday.
    Curious on what that $500 was spent on.

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

Quote Originally Posted by billspence View Post
    I have a 15kw Generac on natural gas. It was on propane before and we converted. I can run literally my whole house on it, like the power never went out. Everything.

It does burn about a quart of oil a day so having some of that around is important as it will shut down when it gets low.
    Baaaaaaaaa!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast