Thread: Fuel additive

Fuel additive

Startron verses quick clean. Has anyone had there
    motor taken apart after running Startron?
    My buddy had is taken apart after running
    quick clean and it was very clean. Thanks

We know quikleen works. The only startron ive ever used is just an ethanol treatment. Do they make one now that cleans?

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

3. Member
    I have used seafoam for over 10 years. Seems to be doing a good job. Is it as good as the above mentioned? Is it just a manufacturer preference kind of thing?
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BULLET FAN View Post
    I have used seafoam for over 10 years. Seems to be doing a good job. Is it as good as the above mentioned? Is it just a manufacturer preference kind of thing?
    I love seafoam but it does something to the
    injectors on evinrudes. I run seafoam in everything
    else.

I’ve used SeaFoam for years in everything without any known issues. Has help some engines start running better shortly after adding. Highly recommend it. But, I still use quickleen, quickare and quickstor as well as stabil. They are all good.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    I’ve used SeaFoam for years in everything without any known issues. Has help some engines start running better shortly after adding. Highly recommend it. But, I still use quickleen, quickare and quickstor as well as stabil. They are all good.
    I now it doesn’t hurt Mercury’s. Evinrudes are
    a different story.

There was a long thread in here somewhere about all of these additives were mostly snake oil. I think mainly the treatments for water. The thread contained the MSDS sheets for all the products and of course they were showing the contents....Im not saying I agree. I use The stuff.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    I know how you can keep from having to us Stabil. Move farther south!!!!! So you dont have to store your rig for months. LOL
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET FAN View Post
    I know how you can keep from having to us Stabil. Move farther south!!!!! So you dont have to store your rig for months. LOL
    That’s been my game plan for a couple years now!

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

10. Member
    Don Weed has a cocktail he recommends, usually on the high performance board

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 250 View Post
    Don Weed has a cocktail he recommends, usually on the high performance board
    It has seafoam in it.

12. Member
    No, 1oz Quickleen 1oz Quickare

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane s View Post
    It has seafoam in it.
    No, it doesn't (and hasn't for years).

1oz Quickleen + 1oz Quickare per 5 gallons fuel (for Optimax Models, see the FAQ in the 2.5 or 3.0L Mercury Forums for further recommendations).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    No, it doesn't (and hasn't for years).

1oz Quickleen + 1oz Quickare per 5 gallons fuel (for Optimax Models, see the FAQ in the 2.5 or 3.0L Mercury Forums for further recommendations).

15. Member
    I use the startron cleaner, it cleans out the carbon very well. About the same as the quickleen in my experiences comparing the two.
    Stroker w/ 300 SuperMag

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have you compared the carbon levels in the fuel rails and direct injectors with the two additives? That is a pretty good indicator- and there is definitely a difference.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

17. Member
    Have you compared the carbon levels in the fuel rails and direct injectors with the two additives? That is a pretty good indicator- and there is definitely a difference.
    If there is a difference what is it?

18. Member
    I've used Don's cocktail for years. No issues
    Bullet 20 XRD / 225 Merc Sport XS

If I was you I would ask the guys on the rude form. Dons recommendation is only for mercury.
    2005 Stroker 2010-250pro xs

20. Member
    No sir I have not just compared combustion chambers on a few efi mercs, and a couple of optimax motors. I would like to do some before and afters on the fuel rails but sounds like you have and I have a new bottle of quickleen I just got a few days ago to switch back to.
    Stroker w/ 300 SuperMag