Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another boat comparison story

For about 2 years I have heard from a friend of mine about the great ride of a particular custom FL made boat. My friend was and is passionate about how much room it has, the ride in rough water, and the shallow draft. This past Friday we went out on a pretty rough Lake Wheeler for a few hours to fish some. After a ride from Ingalls Harbor down river a few miles he slowed down and asked me what I thought about the "good ride" in the rough water. I told him it was "a good ride". After we arrived at the fishing spot, my friend stuck his rod tip in the water to show me how shallow it was where we were fishing. It was about 12"-15" deep. He remarked "Not many full size boats can get this shallow". The accolades continued all afternoon. I was respectful as my friend has a nice boat and it did perform well. At the ramp before loading up having had a great time catching a good many good bass, he asked what my thoughts were on the boat. I told him there was not another one like it on the TN River that I knew of and he had a lock on uniqueness. He asked if the ride impressed me. Uh Oh! I'm not one to lie very much so I told him that if he meant how did it compare to my XB21 I was not impressed all that much. He asked "How's that?" I told him the ride in his boat was about average for a 20' boat in my opinion, and that I could have run over 80 easily with a smoother ride and when we got where we fished I could have gone more shallow. He was good natured and said "Really?" I said absolutely. I guess I'm relating this story because it is a broke record for most of us. If people are really serious about a great ride, speed, shallow draft, great looks, great resell, and uniqueness, they need not look at further. Period. But, I do like having a boat that there is not 10,000 running around just like it. So there is something to be said for everybody "not" riding in one before buying a boat. LOL

Hehe, give me a hint on the "particular" custom boat you were in...

3. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I know the Big O is a custom made Florida boat. Pretty popular around Okeechobee. in fact my wife and I hired a guide out of the marina on West Lake Toho a few years back and he had a big o boat. It was a nice boat. The lake was not rough at all so nothing to compare it to.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

4. Member
    It was a Big O. Good guess. LOL

5. Member
    Just curious since the subject was brought up.

anybody rode in a Phoenix 721? If so how does ride compare to Allison XB-21?

i heard the Phoenix ride pretty good but I have never rode in one.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley21SS View Post

The Phoenix has a good ride. Better than about any of the other boat's it size on the market that I have been in. No Allison, but that wasn't your question.

7. Member
    I can’t wait to ride in the Allison !!! One day. I got a feeling it will be this summer.

8. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I met a fella in SC Lake Hartwell this past fall that followed me into Lake Hartwell Tackle the day we arrived when I stopped for gas. Ironically I conversed with him on BBC not long before that about his Bass cat speed and what he's done to it performance wise etc. We met on the lake one morning (so he could show me some "up river" fishing and run our boats) each in our own boats. Really nice guy. I took him for a ride in mine and he stated he was impressed. He works for Palmetto Boats which is one of the largest in the area and was going to sell his basscat and move into one of the large Phoenix boats that they sell. Point is, he too stated how great of a ride the Phoenix boat is compared to his Bass Cat Sabre. Looking forward to seeing him again this fall and see his new Phoenix and what he actually thinks of it.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

9. Member
    I can’t wait to ride in the Allison !!! One day. I got a feeling it will be this summer.
    Plenty of opportunities coming up this spring and summer where Allison's of a lot of different flavors will be around. I'm sure you can climb in and get a good ride in. You will def have an unforgettable experience.

10. Member
    I rode in a Phoenix for the first time recently. We did not run WOT due to high water and some pretty high wind gusts. It was a 920 with a 250 pro xs 2 stroke. I must say that I thought it did very well in the chop and some small to medium rollers. It landed "soft" compared to some other boats I've been in and it also seemed very stable in the mid range.

I do not think it will compare to an XB-21 in the rough stuff at high speeds but was "almost" comparable in the 40-50 mph range.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

11. Member
    I think most boats have their sweet spot where they ride great, just floating the bow so it cuts waves without being tossed or driving it back down hard. The legends ride extremely well at about 50 but above that they like many get harsh. The XB21 is the only boat I've been in that seems to ride better and better the harder you push it and I think it has a lot to do with the fact the the entire boat is lifting up and riding on top.

Johnny Johnson

12. Member
    Running in rough chop or whitecaps etc. is a great way to test a boat out. You stay dry and don't have neck problems afterwards or you have a bad riding boat. But the most impressive thing to me about an XB21 is still how well they turn. Man these boats are ridiculous in a hard turn. Nothing I have ever ridden in comes remotely close to being as good. Woody aka Whiplash pushed his to the limit though. I don't want to turn his kind of G's.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    Running in rough chop or whitecaps etc. is a great way to test a boat out. You stay dry and don't have neck problems afterwards or you have a bad riding boat. But the most impressive thing to me about an XB21 is still how well they turn. Man these boats are ridiculous in a hard turn. Nothing I have ever ridden in comes remotely close to being as good. Woody aka Whiplash pushed his to the limit though. I don't want to turn his kind of G's.

I hear he is special!
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

14. Member
    Some of the boat ride is about the the driver. I rode in two Phoenix boat last year both 21 ft I later found out. There was a big difference in the boats ride. Most of it was having the common since to slow down in the really rough stuff one driver had it one didn’t. Also a big difference when you have a console in front of you and a steering wheel to hang on to. Neither boat came close to my XB21 ride.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    Some of the boat ride is about the the driver. I rode in two Phoenix boat last year both 21 ft I later found out. There was a big difference in the boats ride. Most of it was having the common since to slow down in the really rough stuff one driver had it one didn’t. Also a big difference when you have a console in front of you and a steering wheel to hang on to. Neither boat came close to my XB21 ride.
    IMG_20180810_23138.jpg
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tritontr21 View Post

I hear he is special!
    My name was "Curious George" before Powell and Maxwell named me "Whiplash". "This is only a test Woody". Now Look at Powell, he can used them big lines during his tutorial sessions. "YES SIR, MY RECORDS REFLECT THAT 2 INCHES ABOVE AND 10 ON TRIM IS TO MUCH". when crossing a wake board roller when you're foot is already to the floor. "YES SIR, MY RECORDS REFLECT THE BOAT WILL HANDLE THE UNEXPECTED EVENT LIKE A CHARM". It's the driver that's not built as well as the boat.
    See Ya, Woody

17. BBC SPONSOR

The last one I passed wasnt too happy about it

The river was rolling on the way back to weigh-in, I was cruising around 50 mph when they passed me making hand gestures so I returned the favor and passed them. We get back to the scale and they laid down 22lb and I followed it up with 23lb for the win
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

18. Member
    Lol ^^
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    The last one I passed wasnt too happy about it

The river was rolling on the way back to weigh-in, I was cruising around 50 mph when they passed me making hand gestures so I returned the favor and passed them. We get back to the scale and they laid down 22lb and I followed it up with 23lb for the win
    Well, there ya go - can't beat that
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

20. BBC SPONSOR
    When I passed them in the slop they looked over and their eyes were as big as hubcaps

I may or may not have slowed down and allowed them to pass just so I could show them that the first time wasnt a fluke
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast