Flow-Rite Drain Plug

Installed, works great! I always had a little water drain out after a day on the lake with the original drain plug. When I removed the brass insert where the original drain plug lived I found water around the perimeter between the brass and hole through the transom. It was inserted with silicone but was lose. No big deal, just thought it would be good to mention in case someone else wonders where that little bit of water comes from. With the Flow-Rite, no water at the end of the day.
    Carte's Custom

One of my next projects. I very seldom remove it.
    With the Zebra muscle onslaught, that's not an option anymore...…….. I fish New Mexico some and rumor has it any LEO can give you a ticket if trailering with a plug....$500.00

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    One of my next projects. I very seldom remove it.
    With the Zebra muscle onslaught, that's not an option anymore...…….. I fish New Mexico some and rumor has it any LEO can give you a ticket if trailering with a plug....$500.00
    We have heavy fines here as well. I have had cops and DNR follow me down the road checking for my plugs. They are difficult to see because of the forward pad. That and I’m done hitting my head on the power poles to remove the plug. I plan on doing this swap this summer as well.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

4. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Yes Mark, there will be water behind the brass insert in most cases. There was water coming out of my bilge hole as well when I was removing the brass insert. The brass insert is installed after the hull is built and is just pressed in with a tool that curls the one end as it was explained to me.

I was reassured by Todd that the water that gets behind there will not cause any issues with the transom because the transom is not made of wood or materials that will absorb water. I just enlarged the existing hole by a little over 1" and then applied marine tex to the exposed surrounding area to seal it completely then sanded it smooth. That marine tex cures hard as metal.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

5. Member

Apologies just in case this picture does not work. Thought it would be worth mentioning, I drilled through the transom to secure the Flow Rite drain with 8/32 SS bolts and fiber lock nuts. I have predrilled and twisted off enough screws in my life to avoid that like the plague. BTW, the exterior of the transom is not parallel with the inside / bilge area so it looks crooked. It is flush on exterior transom.
    Carte's Custom

6. Member
    Carte's Custom

7. Member
    Ok, I just can't seem to post a pic that is the larger enough deliver the message. It is either to small to see or won't post at all. Worked for me in the past.
    Carte's Custom

8. Member
    Yes mark you are correct on the interior and exterior not being symetrical, if that's describing it correctly. MIne looks crooked too from inside which made me remove it, study, measure, study it,measure it again and then said F*&k it and put it back in with waterproof sealant on the SS screws and called it a day.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

9. Member
    What did you use to seal the new plug and screws?
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

10. Member

Mark, here's your pic
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

11. Member
    Man I need to do this to my boat, thanks for the info and pic.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

12. Member
    Hey AllyFishing, thanks for trying to post the pic for me. That is one stubborn pic.

Hello NOTGSXR, I always use 3M Marine Silicone Sealant. Flowrite supplies a closed cell neoprene gasket that is intended to be placed between plug assemble and the transom. I did not use this gasket. I preferred to Silicone the perimeter including around and in the bolt holes. CAUTION: The drain assembly is designed with many slots in the perimeter of housing. These slots allow water to flow through the housing and out of the center bore where the plug moves in and out. IF you Silicone the perimeter of the hole in lieu of using the gasket it is possible to get Silicone in this little slots as you push the assembly through the hole in the transom. Consider that the rigid control cable is attached to the drain plug assembly when you are installing it through the transom. If the rigid cable is in a bind somewhere in the boat it is very easy to misalign the drain plug housing and drag it in the Silicone resulting in plugging some the slots. The reason I know this, yep it happened to me lol. While I am typing a long message, again, this is a very nice system. However, cleaning and lubricating the drain plug is essential for longevity. So we are still up under the boat but most likely during better conditions than on a wet boat ramp.
    Carte's Custom

13. Member
    Oh boy!

Could you put some painters tape or an unused condom over the slots prior to insertion ?

15. Member
    ^^^^^^^^^
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

16. Member
    I used the supplied outer gasket. Used 3M sealant on the screws though
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

17. Member
    I wonder what that Fastbass Marine guy used or will use on mine. Marine Tex?

18. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    I wonder what that Fastbass Marine guy used or will use on mine. Marine Tex?
    Elmers Glue
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

19. Member

that oughta do it!!!
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P