2009 Ranger 520 ZX repower

Put a new Pro 250 xs 4 stroke serial# 2B598444 on running a Fury 24 at 5800 and 72mph with full load. Think I need to go to a 23 what rpms should I want as the ultimate.

2. Member
    You have a jackplate? What hole did you use for mounting on the motor?

3. mikesxpress
    Lindsey how many hours on the V8?
    What was the prop to pad dimension and air temperature when you achieved 5800/72? That's actually pretty good for a 24. Most Rangers are running a 23 to get that thing to spin up to 6K+.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would agree on the 23P as a general rule. It would be a good idea to have the throttle setup (and propping) verified on the Dealer CDS-G3 system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Don can they do that in the shop or is that a on the water thing??

6. Member
    Thanks for the replies I have a Bobs 10” hydraulic jack plate the new motor was mounted the same as the old optimax I believe it is in the 3 rd hole can’t tell you the pad to prop height but runs best with the jack plate raised 2”.
    Thanks Don we did set the hotfoot at 100% demand using the computer the v8 requires more travel than the opti had to move the hotfoot to get enough. Tempurature was about 70 and was at Falcon lake I believe elevation is about 500. That was a gps speed and a smart craft rpm. I LOVE THIS MOTOR! Should I try to achieve 6000 rpms with propping?

7. mikesxpress
    Try the 23 and see if you can get close to 6200. The propping is done on the water with the Mercury tech & G3/laptop AFTER you have what you believe is the best performing propeller and normal boat loading complete. You will make 3-4 full WOT runs and the tech will run that thru the software which will recomend finite adjustments that are applied for best performance.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonskey View Post
    Don can they do that in the shop or is that a on the water thing??
    As Mike indicated- that is an On-the Water test.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor